Polar hr monitor. Which model?

terry potter

Sep 14, 2005
I am interested in purchasing a hr montor from polar. Can any one suggest a
specfic model that has been reliable for them. I have been looking at the cs200 Cheers! Terry

terry potter said:
specfic model that has been reliable for them. I have been looking at the cs200 Cheers! Terry

I have been using a S720 with cadence sensor for the last couple of years and would be lost without it. Dont know what the new specific cycling units are like but if their privious models are anything to go by you will be happy with any model, you just need to make sure that the version you pick meets your needs.

terry potter said:
I am using the S 725 and I love it. I use the cadence sensor on my trainer bike to help maximize my indoor workouts and use the speed sensor for my road workouts. I am a big fan of the altimeter function that you get with the 7 series and overall Polar makes a nice clean wireless set up.

Also have the S 725 and love it. No wireless troubles at all. Well worth using the infra red function to upload data on to your computer. Very interesting graphs compare your heart rate, ascent, cadence and speed in different combinations.

SEGFTG said:
Also have the S 725 and love it. No wireless troubles at all. Well worth using the infra red function to upload data on to your computer. Very interesting graphs compare your heart rate, ascent, cadence and speed in different combinations.
I have the S720i with the wireless, and I have to say, wireless seems like a real waste. So much bigger and harder to attach, than my old wired unit. But other than my intial dislike of the wireless units (cadence & speed), I haven't had any functional problems with it. And I agree, the infa-red is worth it.

Oh yeah, one wireless problem, the HR picks up noise from my computer when I set my rollers close to it. But the cadence and speed sensors aren't affected at all. Strange.

John Budnik said:
Oh yeah, one wireless problem, the HR picks up noise from my computer when I set my rollers close to it. But the cadence and speed sensors aren't affected at all. Strange.

Only time i have had any problems was from tram lines in Adelaide. My brother uses his computer for videos all the time near him and his trainer with no problems

jcjordan said:
Only time i have had any problems was from tram lines in Adelaide. My brother uses his computer for videos all the time near him and his trainer with no problems
Yeah I had my first encounter with tram lines the other day. Reading was 220 for cadence and 195 km/hour. I have heard this from other users of all wireless brands. Lucky I live in the outer burbs with no trams around.

Unless you have spare cash to burn, my advice would be to think about exactly what features will be really useful to you, what you can afford and then see which models fit these criteria. I have the S150 and have been happy with it (bike specific model). If you already have a regular bike computer, then you may not need all the features of the higher end models. One feature that may be useful if you do group rides is that the higher end models (not S150) do not get interference from other nearby Hr monitors.

I have a S725 I really like it. My only problems to date is the every once in a while 220 HR and occasionally the software upsets me. Occasionally the IR link will say 'unknown COM' when I am trying to upload my info. I love the Cadence function and might pick up the Power feature soon, but am undecided as I am going to be getting an Ergomo soon.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering what sort of acuracy the altimeters have on the s725? Im thinking I should look at getting some sort of HR monitor, I dont have cadence on my current computer, and thought the altimeter could be cool - if it works well. If this is the case, I'll look at just getting the all in one option :p

Thanks
Ash

terry potter said:

The cs200 does not have ascent and does not work with the windows based software (which is awsome).

I'm using the 720 and 725 (wife). Get the s720 because it has autostop feature which is not on the 725.

a5hi5m said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm just wondering what sort of acuracy the altimeters have on the s725? Im thinking I should look at getting some sort of HR monitor, I dont have cadence on my current computer, and thought the altimeter could be cool - if it works well. If this is the case, I'll look at just getting the all in one option :p

Thanks
Ash

Ancecdotally, the accuracy is quite good, repeatable and can be calibrated at a known altitude.

tourdelivermore said:
The cs200 does not have ascent and does not work with the windows based software (which is awsome).

I'm using the 720 and 725 (wife). Get the s720 because it has autostop feature which is not on the 725.
Personally, I'm torn on the autostop feature. I used it when I first got mine but then I decided that it was not representing what I was doing in training. Like on a group ride, we all stop at certain intersections to wait for everyone to regroup. We've waited for up to 5 minutes for everyong to get together. I figured if I'm resting for 5 minutes in the middle of my ride, it should be reflected in the data and not show a faster average speed than I was really doing.

Anyway, I stopped using the autostop feature and now I have to live with forgetting to stop the thing and then having so much data recorded I can't download it to my lap top.... there's no winning! :rolleyes:

John Budnik said:
Personally, I'm torn on the autostop feature. I used it when I first got mine but then I decided that it was not representing what I was doing in training. Like on a group ride, we all stop at certain intersections to wait for everyone to regroup. We've waited for up to 5 minutes for everyong to get together. I figured if I'm resting for 5 minutes in the middle of my ride, it should be reflected in the data and not show a faster average speed than I was really doing.

Anyway, I stopped using the autostop feature and now I have to live with forgetting to stop the thing and then having so much data recorded I can't download it to my lap top.... there's no winning! :rolleyes:

Yes...I agree. But, at least you have the option. If you go with the s725, you do not have a choice.

tourdelivermore said:
Ancecdotally, the accuracy is quite good, repeatable and can be calibrated at a known altitude.
Do you know any trick to calibration? I live in a moderately hilly area and have no idea what my altitude is. It is still accurate overall as I know the total ascent of certain climbs but the starting and finishing numbers are definitely wrong. I guess it doesnt really matter what the numbers are as long as I know the the actuall ascent is correct, but it would be good to know what the real altitudes are.

SEGFTG said:
Do you know any trick to calibration? I live in a moderately hilly area and have no idea what my altitude is. It is still accurate overall as I know the total ascent of certain climbs but the starting and finishing numbers are definitely wrong. I guess it doesnt really matter what the numbers are as long as I know the the actuall ascent is correct, but it would be good to know what the real altitudes are.

Check the manual, page B33:

http://www.polarusa.com/service_repair/manuals_con.asp?products=/manuals/s710i.pdf&x=61&y=12

You in effect enter the known value (sea level for instance). I suppose you could enter any value.

Like you, I care less about the absolute altitude, more the relative altitude to derive ascent (climbing).

SEGFTG said:
Yeah I had my first encounter with tram lines the other day. Reading was 220 for cadence and 195 km/hour. I have heard this from other users of all wireless brands. Lucky I live in the outer burbs with no trams around.
Whenever I cross the Harbour Bridge, where the train lines run alongside the cycle track, my computer reads 107km/h all the way across. This means that I get 5-6km added on to my trip for the length of a 1.6km bridge! I ignore the HR of 230-240 during that time.

tourdelivermore said:
I agree. My commuting ride always gives me exactly the same (+/- 1-2m) total ascent.

SEGFTG said:
Buy the topographic map covering your suburb, work out the altitude of your home and then do your calibration at home before each ride, if it really matters. The total ascent is more interesting to me than the absolute height, except in the mountains.
Does Google Earth give the altitude of a spot?

artemidorus said:
Buy the topographic map covering your suburb, work out the altitude of your home and then do your calibration at home before each ride, if it really matters. The total ascent is more interesting to me than the absolute height, except in the mountains.
Does Google Earth give the altitude of a spot?
I searched for all sorts of maps a while back, but you dont get any specific info without paying for it. I dont need to know that much. I think we all agree that total ascent is what really matters.
Keep on climbing!