Polar HRM do not let you rest

cristobal41

Oct 29, 2003
Hi:

Mi Polar 410 just lets me stop the registering of data for 5 minutes. After this time, it goes automatically to the hour screen and thinks by itself that the measurement is finished. Do you know any HRM that lets me stop as long as i want and reinitiate the trail after, say, 15 minutes?
Thanks.

cristobal41 said:
Hi:

Mi Polar 410 just lets me stop the registering of data for 5 minutes. After this time, it goes automatically to the hour screen and thinks by itself that the measurement is finished. Do you know any HRM that lets me stop as long as i want and reinitiate the trail after, say, 15 minutes?
Thanks.
I have a S720i and as long as I am next to the bike [3 feet] it keeps registering the information. I have it AUTO Start for the bike. This means that it records as long as the tire is moving. If you stop it stops recording, but as soon as the tire [speed sensor] records movement, it starts again.

macar said:
I have a S720i and as long as I am next to the bike [3 feet] it keeps registering the information. I have it AUTO Start for the bike. This means that it records as long as the tire is moving. If you stop it stops recording, but as soon as the tire [speed sensor] records movement, it starts again.

Hi again:
Thanks for your answer but I guess that you should differentiate both concepts. If you stay close to the HRM it keeps on measuring your pulse. If you stop your bike the speed measuring and distance are no being registered till you star again, but I want to press the stop switch and give up measuring my pulse till I press it again. My S 410 stops measuring as I press the key but if you do not press it again before these 5 minutes it will go to the hour screen and you must start a new measuring independent from the last one. I mean 1 trail and 2 or 3 measurings?
Let me know, pls.
Cheers.

cristobal41 said:
Hi again:
Thanks for your answer but I guess that you should differentiate both concepts. If you stay close to the HRM it keeps on measuring your pulse. If you stop your bike the speed measuring and distance are no being registered till you star again, but I want to press the stop switch and give up measuring my pulse till I press it again. My S 410 stops measuring as I press the key but if you do not press it again before these 5 minutes it will go to the hour screen and you must start a new measuring independent from the last one. I mean 1 trail and 2 or 3 measurings?
Let me know, pls.
Cheers.
You can be away from the bike for up to 30 minutes without it resetting the exercise. As long as you get near enough the sensor for it to pick up your heart rate every thirty minutes, this seems to go on indefinitely. As far as I know, the 30 minutes isn't adjustable however. This is with the 720i, I'm not familiar with the 410.

John

Mansmind said:
You can be away from the bike for up to 30 minutes without it resetting the exercise. As long as you get near enough the sensor for it to pick up your heart rate every thirty minutes, this seems to go on indefinitely. As far as I know, the 30 minutes isn't adjustable however. This is with the 720i, I'm not familiar with the 410.

John
Based on the information above you can do it with the 720i for 30 minutes. also with the 720i and the software you can combine exercises. So if you end up with three sessions for the same trail, you can combine them, and look at them at the same time.

I had a 510, and it would also reset any time I was away from it for more than five minutes.

It was also quite easy to restart the 510 accidentally after you had stopped it at the end of your exercise, resulting in your exercise file being compressed and no longer worth downloading.

I changed to the 720, which waits 30 minutes before turning off, and which does not compress old exercise files, although it is much harder to accidentally turn on.

I think Polar probably realized those were a couple of design glitches and changed them in later models; although the more expensive models may also have a slightly bigger memory, I'm not sure.

I complained to Polar about all this, and they told me that there was no real solution to those particular problems.

Thanks a bunch, I bought my new one on E-Bay so they wouldn't make so much off me.

whit

Whitney said:
I had a 510, and it would also reset any time I was away from it for more than five minutes.

It was also quite easy to restart the 510 accidentally after you had stopped it at the end of your exercise, resulting in your exercise file being compressed and no longer worth downloading.

I changed to the 720, which waits 30 minutes before turning off, and which does not compress old exercise files, although it is much harder to accidentally turn on.

I think Polar probably realized those were a couple of design glitches and changed them in later models; although the more expensive models may also have a slightly bigger memory, I'm not sure.

I complained to Polar about all this, and they told me that there was no real solution to those particular problems.

Thanks a bunch, I bought my new one on E-Bay so they wouldn't make so much off me.

whit

Hi With:

That´s exactly the problem. Somebody told me that the 720 allows you to stop for 30 minutes, but it´s even easier to re start again accidentally. So, Polar has no option. Anybody knows about any other brand that lets you decide?

Thanks.

macar said:
Based on the information above you can do it with the 720i for 30 minutes. also with the 720i and the software you can combine exercises. So if you end up with three sessions for the same trail, you can combine them, and look at them at the same time.

Thanks John:

It´s correct, it just seems to happen with the 720, far away from my ideal HRM as I want a more simple one. Any other brand does it?

Thanks,

cristobal41 said:
Thanks John:

It´s correct, it just seems to happen with the 720, far away from my ideal HRM as I want a more simple one. Any other brand does it?

Thanks,
I'm very unfamiliar with other brands (I've never used any other). You might want to take a look at Timex, they have one that looks very interesting. Cateye also has several models that measure heart rate. Those would be the major brands, with Cateye being very popular in cycling.

I'm not sure how the software with either works, although others here may know. You may be able to find out by researching their respective websites.

John

cristobal41 said:
Hi With:

That´s exactly the problem. Somebody told me that the 720 allows you to stop for 30 minutes, but it´s even easier to re start again accidentally. So, Polar has no option. Anybody knows about any other brand that lets you decide?

Thanks.

Actually, I have never accidentally started my 720 and I had accidentally started my 510 many, many times.

The buttons are much harder to push on my 720 than the ones on the 510.

Whit