Polar HRM glitch

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Duncan, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    Hi,
    I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably well
    but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    readings.
    At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It doesn't
    usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    monitors.
    I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    Cheers,
    Duncan.

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Duncan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably well
    > but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    > readings.
    > At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It doesn't
    > usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    > seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    > the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    > I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > monitors.
    > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > Cheers,
    > Duncan.

    Mine's an A5, sometimes when I'm jogging very slowly I skyrocket to
    around 200 but it's usually just when my transmitter slips a little bit.
    If you're wearing a bra it'll do that.

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]e.net.au...
    > Hi,
    > I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably

    well
    > but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    > readings.
    > At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It

    doesn't
    > usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    > seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    > the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    > I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > monitors.
    > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > Cheers,
    > Duncan.

    Were you close to any overhead powerlines? They send HRMs nuts...

  4. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably

    > well
    >
    >>but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    >>readings.
    >>At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It

    > doesn't
    >
    >>usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    >>seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    >>the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    >>I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    >>wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    >>monitors.
    >>I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    >>Cheers,
    >>Duncan.
    >>

    > Were you close to any overhead powerlines? They send HRMs nuts...

    I've never hada polar but a friend of mine get's wierd readings within
    range of my Sigma HRM.

    Maybe it's when you're really close to another rider and signals
    interfere with another wireless device?

    --
    Nick

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Alex wrote:

    > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hi,

    <snip>
    > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > > monitors.
    > > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > > Cheers,
    > > Duncan.
    > >

    > Were you close to any overhead powerlines? They send HRMs nuts...

    My hr monitor has never had a problem with overhead powerlines; is that
    a common occurrence?

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably

    well
    > but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    > readings.
    > At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It

    doesn't
    > usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    > seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    > the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    > I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > monitors.
    > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?

    It's either a car, tram, overhead lines, poor sensor-body
    contact or someone else's monitor is messing with
    yours. It happens to most HRMs. Excitement alone
    wont get you over 200bpm unless you are excitedly
    plugging your fingers into a powerpoint? ;-)

    hippy

  7. PiledHigher

    PiledHigher New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003

    It would have to be a pretty raunch slide show to get your heart rate to 200!

  8. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "PiledHigher" <[email protected]

    > hippy Wrote:
    > >
    > > Excitement alone
    > > wont get you over 200bpm unless you are excitedly
    > > plugging your fingers into a powerpoint? ;-)

    > It would have to be a pretty raunch slide show to get your heart rate
    > to 200!

    nerd alert nerd alert ;-)

    I'm sure there's some "interesting" ppt files out there..

    hippy
    - a big nerd

  9. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > My hr monitor has never had a problem with overhead powerlines; is that
    > a common occurrence?

    I rarely notice an effect with powerlines, but sometimes
    they're the only things around that could have caused
    the interferance. Hawthorn velo has given me some silly
    high readings - there's no trams (which always give me
    stupid readings) and no other riders so I blame the nearby
    powerlines. They are fairly large lines..

    hippy

  10. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    >
    >>"Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Hi,

    > <snip>
    > > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other

    >>>monitors.
    >>>I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>Duncan.
    >>>

    >>Were you close to any overhead powerlines? They send HRMs nuts...

    > My hr monitor has never had a problem with overhead powerlines; is that
    > a common occurrence?

    Ordinary power lines have never given me grief, but the big ones always
    have. Used to live under them and the HRM would give false readings the
    moment I stepped outside, but once I was 20-30 metres away it was okay.
    Same thing with tramlines. I also used to get a bizarre false reading at
    the same point on a regular ride and worked out it was a house with one
    of those mobile mechanic vans with all the car computer gear inside (I
    guess using a mobile phone would be the least of his worries).

    On one of the BR rides the big powerlines in Diamond Creek stuffed the
    bike computer and I had to pull the battery after I got home to reset it.

    DaveB

  11. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003

  12. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote -

    > My hr monitor has never had a problem with overhead powerlines; is that
    > a common occurrence?

    Yeah, but Tamyka aren't you just a bit short of the old voltage up in that
    fair northern state just at the moment ? <g>

    All Polar models seem to suffer spurious emf "spikes", lasting as long as
    you are close to the source of interference.

    Classic unreliability occurs when crossing the Sydney Harbour Bridge where
    the cycleway is next to the train line - think a very big electro magnet.

    Other place is beside the rail lines on the road out to Waterfall - there
    may some hv lines thereabouts as well.

    It also seems to give you spurious max speed readings, much as I would like
    to have reached 213 kph trying to get on the wheels of that flash Eastern
    Suburbs bunch this morning.

    best, Andrew (remove the .x1 to reply)

  13. "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:l0%[email protected]
    > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably

    > well
    > > but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    > > readings.
    > > At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It

    > doesn't
    > > usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    > > seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start

    of
    > > the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    > > I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm.

    > > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > > monitors.
    > > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?

    > It's either a car, tram, overhead lines, poor sensor-body
    > contact or someone else's monitor is messing with
    > yours. It happens to most HRMs. Excitement alone
    > wont get you over 200bpm unless you are excitedly
    > plugging your fingers into a powerpoint? ;-)
    >
    > hippy

    I disagree.
    I've done experiments to try to isolate the problem. I've gone to areas free
    of electrical equipment to make sure it's not caused by electrical
    interference. I'm an electrician by trade and have an Amateur radio license,
    (did morse code as well).
    The problem seems more pronounced if I've had coffee earlier in the day.
    Usually the reading settles down after about 5 or 10 minutes. It can be
    annoying if you want an accurate reading though.

    Marty

  14. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    > I recently bought an A3 Polar heart rate monitor. It works reasonably

    well
    > but one thing has been a little disconcerting has been some very high
    > readings.
    > At some points during races my reading goes between 200-219 bpm. It

    doesn't
    > usualy stay there long but today it hovered around 217 for a while and
    > seemed fairly stable. I wasn't pushing very hard but it was the start of
    > the race so I may've been pretty excited.
    > I'm 30 and for most of the time I'm racing I'm between 170 and 180 bpm. I
    > wasn't close enough to anyone else to pick up on readings from other
    > monitors.
    > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > Cheers,
    > Duncan.

    Normal. I get a similar problem from interference. I can see the HRM (210)
    go up when my mobile is in my pocket as regular as clock work.
    Occassionally I will get an unusual reading near o/head power lines or when
    someone with a HRM (this occurs rarely) rides along side.

    Kevin

  15. cside

    cside New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2004
    I am not sure which models everyone is using. I know that the A series is not coded, meaning that they will give errors from nearby cyclists with other HRM's. I am not sure if this is only the Polar A series or all Polar HRM's or even othe rmakes.

    I hav ethe M32, and my wife uses the M62, and we do not have problems. One thing I have noticed is that if she is using the trainer and I stand next to her, my watch will read about 3bpm lower than hers - but that just messing around - there is no real purpose for two recievers. Other than that I have never really had a problem with unbelievable readings

  16. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Duncan wrote:
    > > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > > Cheers,
    > > Duncan.

    > Mine's an A5, sometimes when I'm jogging very slowly I skyrocket to
    > around 200 but it's usually just when my transmitter slips a little bit.
    > If you're wearing a bra it'll do that.

    I don't wear a bra but I do have a hairy chest. I have to adjust the strap
    fairly often if I'm not soaked in sweat. I just would've thought it'd go to
    zero instead of 200+. In hindsight this seems consistent with my
    experiences ie. start of race before I'm all sweaty.

  17. Duncan

    Duncan Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Duncan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'm pretty sure this is a glitch, is this normal for an A3?
    > > Cheers,
    > > Duncan.
    > >

    > Were you close to any overhead powerlines? They send HRMs nuts...

    Can't remember any powerlines, it was the start of the Beechworth -> El
    Dorado gold rush just leaving town. As seems to be the case these days I
    was on my own in the big gap between the faster elite riders and the rest of
    the field.

  18. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    See http://www.nk.com.au/Downloads.htm Nelson Kellerman are the Canberra repair agent for Polar and have a good pdf file (145kb) on "Abnormal Heart Rate Readings During Exercise."
    Scroll down, Polar is at the bottom of page.

  19. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    cside wrote:

    > I am not sure which models everyone is using. I know that the A series
    > is not coded, meaning that they will give errors from nearby cyclists
    > with other HRM's. I am not sure if this is only the Polar A series or
    > all Polar HRM's or even othe rmakes.
    >
    > I hav ethe M32, and my wife uses the M62, and we do not have problems.
    > One thing I have noticed is that if she is using the trainer and I
    > stand next to her, my watch will read about 3bpm lower than hers - but
    > that just messing around - there is no real purpose for two recievers.
    > Other than that I have never really had a problem with unbelievable
    > readings
    >
    > --
    > cside

    I have a tendency to use my polar watch as a stopwatch and I was doing a
    speed session with some friends and freaked out when my hrm started
    beeping at me. It was set for a pretty low heartrate for a recovery run,
    and Hollie was working pretty damn hard. I ran past and suddenly *beep,
    beep, beep*. Scared the crap out of me.
    --

  20. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a tendency to use my polar watch as a stopwatch and I was doing a
    > speed session with some friends and freaked out when my hrm started
    > beeping at me. It was set for a pretty low heartrate for a recovery run,
    > and Hollie was working pretty damn hard. I ran past and suddenly *beep,
    > beep, beep*. Scared the crap out of me.

    The only thing I feel when mine beeps in anger..
    because it means I've forgotten to dump its
    contents to the computer and the watch memory
    has filled up! :)

    I figure if you're not feeling like you're about to
    die then who cares what the HRM says. I've
    had enough "crazy" readings to know that it's
    the unit at fault. <smacks Polar on desk> "Ya
    hear that?!? I know you are lying to me!"

    hippycardia