Polar HRM Question

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by James Messick, May 8, 2003.

  1. I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times. No idea how long it was on
    the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not respond to pushing the
    button. It acted flaky for a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses before
    the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or another problem? Thanks.

    James

    Tags:

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times. No idea how long it was
    > on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not respond to pushing
    > the button. It acted flaky for a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
    > before the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or another
    > problem? Thanks.

    B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.

    JD

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "JD" <CKAGMD@webtv.net> wrote in message news:bff73eaa.0305081015.7a9f2eec@posting.google.com...
    > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times.
    No
    > > idea how long it was on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will
    > > not respond to pushing the button. It acted flaky
    for
    > > a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
    before
    > > the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery,
    or
    > > another problem? Thanks.
    >
    > B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.
    >
    > JD

    I don't think it's needless. Sometimes, it'll be higher than normal, even for light riding, so
    you'll know that you've overtrained and should go light. You'll know what your max HR really is and
    can back off when you near it (I used to set the alarm to go off). You can determine whether the
    same ride is easier than it used to be because your average HR will be lower. You can then increase
    the distance or speed.

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  4. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    JD wrote:
    > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times. No idea how long it was
    >>on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not respond to pushing
    >>the button. It acted flaky for a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
    >>before the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or another
    >>problem? Thanks.
    >

    > B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.
    >
    > JD

    Having just gotten one for the first time, it's helped me realize that I've been beating the shit
    out of myself for most of my life. I should be able to get similar (if not identical) conditioning
    benefits without working so damn hard at it.

    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
    worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
    view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
    prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

  5. "JD" <CKAGMD@webtv.net> wrote in message news:bff73eaa.0305081015.7a9f2eec@posting.google.com...
    > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times.
    No
    > > idea how long it was on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will
    > > not respond to pushing the button. It acted flaky
    for
    > > a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
    before
    > > the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery,
    or
    > > another problem? Thanks.
    >
    > B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.
    >
    > JD

    Useless waste of bandwidth. Why am I not surprised?

  6. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    I have a protrainer with a dead battery. My experience with the dying battery is that I started
    having transmission/reception problems in the final weeks before it crapped out. I would have no
    heartrate for a minute or two then it would jump to 250+. It would finally settle in to something
    reasonable, but not before buggering up the average. Your mileage may vary.

    This thread reminds me that I have send that thing to Polar for a new battery.

    -Dave

    "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times.
    No
    > idea how long it was on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not
    > respond to pushing the button. It acted flaky
    for
    > a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses before the last ride. Does
    > anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or another problem? Thanks.
    >
    > James

  7. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if it breaks. Most people
    will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.

    I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the result of
    wearing that tachometer.

    -Dave

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave Stocker <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message news:b9fcb9$a6p$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if
    it
    > breaks.

    So, don't chow on the big fry-ups.

    > Most people will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.

    > I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the result
    > of wearing that tachometer.

    how you feel that matters, not what the number is.

    "My chest hurts and I'm short of breath <look at HRM>, oh, it says XYZ number, I was OK with that
    yesterday, the 'book' says I'm OK with that number, guess I'll just carry on!
    <ArrrrggggGHHHHH...uh... ..........uh.......
    ............................................................................ .........>."

    Shaun aRe - screw the numbers and listen to your body, unless your heart is

  9. "Dave Stocker" <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message news:b9fcb9$a6p$01$1@news.t-online.com...
    > JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if
    it
    > breaks. Most people will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.
    >
    > I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the result
    > of wearing that tachometer.

    So what are your normal RPM's? BTW, I took the back off, removed the battery, and replaced it and it
    worked. Time will tell how long it will keep working. Despite what some people think, I'm finding it
    quite usefull. My pulse-rate is naturally pretty high, so I really want to try to keep it from
    getting beyond a certain rate.

    James

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<b9fcb9$a6p$01$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if it breaks. Most people
    > will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.

    That's funny. If I tell you that you can jump your XC bike off of the Cliffs Of Dover, I bet you'd
    do that as well.

    > I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the result
    > of wearing that tachometer.

    That's because you've been told you can't and like a fool, think this is true. Anyone who can count
    past 10 without taking their shoes off doesn't need that techno shit.

    JD

  11. Nate

    Nate Guest

    CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305090828.8a54f66@posting.google.com>...
    > "Dave Stocker" <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > > JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if it breaks. Most people
    > > will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.
    >
    > That's funny. If I tell you that you can jump your XC bike off of the Cliffs Of Dover, I bet you'd
    > do that as well.
    >
    > > I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the result
    > > of wearing that tachometer.
    >
    > That's because you've been told you can't and like a fool, think this is true. Anyone who can
    > count past 10 without taking their shoes off doesn't need that techno shit.
    >
    > JD

    Tell that one to Lance Armstrong. I guarantee he uses a HRM for training. Hell, he wrote a book on
    how to use a HRM effectively in training. I'm gonna assume he can count past 10...

    Nate

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305090828.8a54f66@posting.google.com>...
    > > "Dave Stocker" <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > > > JD, your heart is not some other part that can be replaced or upgraded if it breaks. Most
    > > > people will naturally tend to overdo it. An HRM keeps you sane and healthy.
    > >
    > > That's funny. If I tell you that you can jump your XC bike off of the Cliffs Of Dover, I bet
    > > you'd do that as well.
    > >
    > > > I can not usually predict my HR to within a few beats just by how I feel, but this is the
    > > > result of wearing that tachometer.
    > >
    > > That's because you've been told you can't and like a fool, think this is true. Anyone who can
    > > count past 10 without taking their shoes off doesn't need that techno shit.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Tell that one to Lance Armstrong. I guarantee he uses a HRM for training. Hell, he wrote a book on
    > how to use a HRM effectively in training. I'm gonna assume he can count past 10...

    Are you a World Class road racer? Is anyone here on am-b a World Class road racer? Let's see some
    hands. Dipshit namedropper.

    JD

  13. Nate

    Nate Guest

    CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>...
    > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305090828.8a54f66@posting.google.com>...
    > > > "Dave Stocker" <dave-dani@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > That's funny. If I tell you that you can jump your XC bike off of the Cliffs Of Dover, I bet
    > > > you'd do that as well.

    > > > That's because you've been told you can't and like a fool, think this is true. Anyone who can
    > > > count past 10 without taking their shoes off doesn't need that techno shit.
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > >
    > > Tell that one to Lance Armstrong. I guarantee he uses a HRM for training. Hell, he wrote a book
    > > on how to use a HRM effectively in training. I'm gonna assume he can count past 10...
    >
    > Are you a World Class road racer? Is anyone here on am-b a World Class road racer? Let's see some
    > hands. Dipshit namedropper.
    >
    > JD

    Just where does it say you have to be a World Class road racer to enjoy the benefits of maximizing
    your body's potiental? I guess the manufacturer should not even make the wicked things available to
    us dipshits in the general public, 'cuz we have no business using them.

    Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by using
    a HRM, moving them into semi-pro. Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a great
    accomplishment for some. Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack down on some
    chump who runs their suck on the trail. Only a dipshit believes that only World Class road racers
    can benefit from a HRM.

    Nate

  14. Jd

    > "JD" <CKAGMD@webtv.net> wrote in message news:bff73eaa.0305081015.7a9f2eec@posting.google.com...
    > > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > > I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times.
    > No
    > > > idea how long it was on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will
    > > > not respond to pushing the button. It acted flaky
    > for
    > > > a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
    > before
    > > > the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery,
    > or
    > > > another problem? Thanks.
    > >
    > > B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Useless waste of bandwidth. Why am I not surprised?

    This was you, right?

    > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?

    Go hump someone else's leg, Delbert.

    JD

  15. Jd

    > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>...
    > > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > > > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message

    > > > Tell that one to Lance Armstrong. I guarantee he uses a HRM for training. Hell, he wrote a
    > > > book on how to use a HRM effectively in training. I'm gonna assume he can count past 10...
    > >
    > > Are you a World Class road racer? Is anyone here on am-b a World Class road racer? Let's see
    > > some hands. Dipshit namedropper.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > Just where does it say you have to be a World Class road racer to enjoy the benefits of maximizing
    > your body's potiental?

    You sound like a commercial. Marketing people love drones like you.

    > I guess the manufacturer should not even make the wicked things available to us dipshits in the
    > general public, 'cuz we have no business using them.

    They know that there's one born every minute. How does it feel to be one of the "ones"?

    > Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by
    > using a HRM, moving them into semi-pro.

    Racing mountain bikes is almost as lame as hanging 10 lbs of needless junk on your bike or body.

    > Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a great accomplishment for some.

    Then they can throw a party for themselves. Whoop-de-friggin-do.

    > Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack down on some chump who runs their suck
    > on the trail.

    It doesn't matter unless it's a luddite on a rigid singlespeed. Techno-crutch users will always be
    pathetic, no matter how fast they *think* they are.

    > Only a dipshit believes that only World Class road racers can benefit from a HRM.

    No, only a dipshit would have read that into my post.

    JD

  16. Nate

    Nate Guest

    CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305140816.32b2fac1@posting.google.com>...
    > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>...
    > > > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message

    > > > Are you a World Class road racer? Is anyone here on am-b a World Class road racer? Let's see
    > > > some hands. Dipshit namedropper.
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > >
    > > Just where does it say you have to be a World Class road racer to enjoy the benefits of
    > > maximizing your body's potiental?
    >
    > You sound like a commercial. Marketing people love drones like you.

    avoiding the point...

    > > I guess the manufacturer should not even make the wicked things available to us dipshits in the
    > > general public, 'cuz we have no business using them.
    >
    > They know that there's one born every minute. How does it feel to be one of the "ones"?

    I think it feels great to do whatever I enjoy doing and not worry what others think about it. More
    people should try it.

    > > Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by
    > > using a HRM, moving them into semi-pro.
    >
    > Racing mountain bikes is almost as lame as hanging 10 lbs of needless junk on your bike or body.

    Everyone has an opinion. You may like blondes and I may prefer brunettes... I'm not going to waste
    my time trying to sway anyones thoughts or call them a fool for doing something different than me.

    > > Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a great accomplishment for some.
    >
    > Then they can throw a party for themselves. Whoop-de-friggin-do.
    >
    > > Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack down on some chump who runs their
    > > suck on the trail.
    >
    > It doesn't matter unless it's a luddite on a rigid singlespeed. Techno-crutch users will always be
    > pathetic, no matter how fast they *think* they are.

    How do you figure?

    > > Only a dipshit believes that only World Class road racers can benefit from a HRM.
    >
    > No, only a dipshit would have read that into my post.

    I wasn't referring to you. But since we are on the topic of calling names, does it make you feel
    good to call people names like drone, dipshit, and fool?

    JD, I agree with alot of your advice to people. But sometimes, I think you take some simple things a
    bit far. Just one person's opinion. No biggie.

    > JD

    Nate -gonna go onna nite ride now wit mah teckno schit hid lite-

  17. "JD" <CKAGMD@webtv.net> wrote in message news:bff73eaa.0305140810.59719f3f@posting.google.com...
    > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > "JD" <CKAGMD@webtv.net> wrote in message news:bff73eaa.0305081015.7a9f2eec@posting.google.com...
    > > > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > No
    > > for
    > > before
    > > or
    > > >
    > > > B. Another problem, it's needless techno crap.
    > > >
    > > > JD
    > >
    > > Useless waste of bandwidth. Why am I not surprised?
    >
    > This was you, right?
    >
    > "James Messick" <connect@jamesmessick.com> wrote in message
    > > So just wear the men's shorts. Who'll know and what's the big deal?
    >
    > Go hump someone else's leg, Delbert.
    >
    > JD

    Sure, I throw out a comment occasionally to see what kind of reaction it gets. But you only seem to
    know one song.

  18. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>.s
    > using them.
    >
    > Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by
    > using a HRM, moving them into semi-pro. Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a great
    > accomplishment for some. Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack down on some
    > chump who runs their suck on the trail. Only a dipshit believes that only World Class road racers
    > can benefit from a HRM.
    >
    > Nate

    All I've ever gotten out of reading about these gizmos, hearing testimonies from closet gay roadies
    on mtnbikes, and even some mtb'ers I respect, is that I'm always over-training, and need more long,
    easy rides. Well, I like the gutbusters and don't have the patience for long and easy, and I'm
    pretty healthy. I know I have a low resting hr, and a quick recovery. But so what. How many people
    actually die from over exertion, who are in reasonably good shape to begin with, and who could have
    been saved by a hrm?

    I'm not knocking them, I'm just not gonna get one and have it tell me to slow down, take it easy,
    shave my legs, dress like a peacock, swish when I walk.

    Paladin Now that was logical, wasn't it?

  19. Nate

    Nate Guest

    cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote in message
    > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>.s
    > > using them.
    > >
    > > Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by
    > > using a HRM, moving them into semi-pro. Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a great
    > > accomplishment for some. Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack down on
    > > some chump who runs their suck on the trail. Only a dipshit believes that only World Class road
    > > racers can benefit from a HRM.
    > >
    > > Nate
    >
    > All I've ever gotten out of reading about these gizmos, hearing testimonies from closet gay
    > roadies on mtnbikes, and even some mtb'ers I respect, is that I'm always over-training, and need
    > more long, easy rides. Well, I like the gutbusters and don't have the patience for long and easy,
    > and I'm pretty healthy. I know I have a low resting hr, and a quick recovery.

    I'm in the same boat as you. I like hard, fast rides...

    > But so what. How many people actually die from over exertion, who are in reasonably good shape to
    > begin with, and who could have been saved by a hrm?

    Death from over exertion wasn't my point. A HRM might be a simple way for someone who cares for
    whatever reason to become faster on a bike to help achieve that goal.

    > I'm not knocking them, I'm just not gonna get one and have it tell me to slow down, take it easy,
    > shave my legs, dress like a peacock, swish when I walk.

    They are certainly not for everyone. I never would have purchased one myself, but after getting one
    as a gift and using it, I can see where it's use is helpful. As far as shaving legs and dressing
    like a peacock; not my style either...

    Nate

    > Paladin Now that was logical, wasn't it?

  20. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > cdbrown@qwest.net (Paladin) wrote in message
    > > ShiftIn2Granny@yahoo.com (Nate) wrote in message
    > > > CKAGMD@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message
    > > > news:<bff73eaa.0305121358.32ca6c2e@posting.google.com>.s using them.
    > > >
    > > > Maybe someone racing expert for the past 2 years could effectively maximize his/her output by
    > > > using a HRM, moving them into semi-pro. Maybe even moving from sport to expert class is a
    > > > great accomplishment for some. Maybe someone doesn't even race, but wants to put the smack
    > > > down on some chump who runs their suck on the trail. Only a dipshit believes that only World
    > > > Class road racers can benefit from a HRM.
    > > >
    > > > Nate
    > >
    > > All I've ever gotten out of reading about these gizmos, hearing testimonies from closet gay
    > > roadies on mtnbikes, and even some mtb'ers I respect, is that I'm always over-training, and need
    > > more long, easy rides. Well, I like the gutbusters and don't have the patience for long and
    > > easy, and I'm pretty healthy. I know I have a low resting hr, and a quick recovery.
    >
    > I'm in the same boat as you. I like hard, fast rides...
    >
    > > But so what. How many people actually die from over exertion, who are in reasonably good shape
    > > to begin with, and who could have been saved by a hrm?
    >
    > Death from over exertion wasn't my point. A HRM might be a simple way for someone who cares for
    > whatever reason to become faster on a bike to help achieve that goal.
    > >
    > > I'm not knocking them, I'm just not gonna get one and have it tell me to slow down, take it
    > > easy, shave my legs, dress like a peacock, swish when I walk.
    >
    > They are certainly not for everyone. I never would have purchased one myself, but after getting
    > one as a gift and using it, I can see where it's use is helpful. As far as shaving legs and
    > dressing like a peacock; not my style either...
    >
    > Nate
    > >
    > > Paladin Now that was logical, wasn't it?

    I was having some fun with you, as the best racers I know (a couple of which I occasionally ride
    with) all use them, because it's a very competitive field out there, especially sport/expert. I'm on
    a loooong hiatus from racing, and would only go back on the SS, but would be willing to train with
    one to get the most out of my training.

    But I'm not training now. I'm just riding. Bit like a cell phone. Everybody I know has one. Only a
    percentage of them really need it. I don't carry one. Kinda retro, not wanting to be on everyone's
    immediate leash. If they want to talk to me, they can call me where there's a phone, or come find
    me. Or just flat go without the excitement of my company. [gasp]

    Hope yours helps you achieve your goals. If its a good tool, then don't let anybody discourage you.
    Especially not some usenet idiots that don't really exist, except in the MATRIX.....ahhh, there's a
    shift, eh?

    Paladin