Polar HRM Question

[email protected] (JD) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times. No idea how long it was
>> on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not respond to pushing
>> the button. It acted flaky for a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain it's senses
>> before the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or another
>> problem? Thanks.
>
> B. Another problem, it's needless techno ****.

Yeah, so stop riding a bike, you don't need that techno ****, walk ya fool!

and you used a computer to type this inane repone ? more techno ****... take ya socks of and use ya
toes to count past 12 :)

Trevor S

(BIG SNIP)
> I was having some fun with you, as the best racers I know (a couple of which I occasionally ride
> with) all use them, because it's a very competitive field out there, especially sport/expert. I'm
> on a loooong hiatus from racing, and would only go back on the SS, but would be willing to train
> with one to get the most out of my training.
>
> But I'm not training now. I'm just riding. Bit like a cell phone. Everybody I know has one. Only a
> percentage of them really need it. I don't carry one. Kinda retro, not wanting to be on everyone's
> immediate leash. If they want to talk to me, they can call me where there's a phone, or come find
> me. Or just flat go without the excitement of my company. [gasp]
>
> Hope yours helps you achieve your goals. If its a good tool, then don't let anybody discourage
> you. Especially not some usenet idiots that don't really exist, except in the MATRIX.....ahhh,
> there's a shift, eh?
>
> Paladin

No worries. You mentioned riding a SS. I am 85% finished building a SS and was wondering about a few
drivetrain things. I made an order to BTI for the remaining parts I don't have, but he didn't have a
spacer kit and reccommended pulling apart an old 8 speed cassette. I will most likely do this but am
left wondering if there is a better way.

Also, BTI man didn't have a sram pc-7x ss chain. He said try a 8 speed chain, claiming it would
actually work better than the forementioned. ???(leaving me with a dumb look on my mug)

Last, going against the flow, I ordered the Rohloff tensioner as opposed to PAUL's. Rohloff doesn't
make junk, so I think I'll be safe with this choice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nate (thought SS = simplicity on 2 wheels-sheesh!)

Paladin wrote:

> I was having some fun with you, as the best racers I know (a couple of which I occasionally ride
> with) all use them, because it's a very competitive field out there, especially sport/expert. I'm
> on a loooong hiatus from racing, and would only go back on the SS, but would be willing to train
> with one to get the most out of my training.

Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a heart
rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I like
knowing how and how fast. I would probably enjoy using a HRM, if one were to just fall out of the
sky and land in my lap (Hey, cool, schwag from heaven!) I wouldn't go out and buy one, though. Low
priority item.

> But I'm not training now. I'm just riding. Bit like a cell phone. Everybody I know has one. Only a
> percentage of them really need it. I don't carry one. Kinda retro, not wanting to be on everyone's
> immediate leash. If they want to talk to me, they can call me where there's a phone, or come find
> me. Or just flat go without the excitement of my company. [gasp]

Tsk, tsk, tsk. It is indeed possible to enjoy the best of both worlds. Sign up for a plan that
offers free voicemail services. Take your phone with you, but turn it off. It *won't* ring, it
*will* take a message and yet you can make an outgoing call any time you want, whether it's to
summon help for an emergency, letting the wife know not to panic because you've decided to take
another turn around the loop, or ordering pizza on the way home.

> Hope yours helps you achieve your goals. If its a good tool, then don't let anybody
> discourage you.

Even if it's not a good "tool". Even if it's just a fun toy. So what? If the bike itself isn't a
toy, I don't know what is.

Especially not some usenet idiots
> that don't really exist, except in the MATRIX.....ahhh, there's a shift, eh?

Went and saw that last night, and brought the kids. Normally I preview these things and then take
the kids, but Dan wanted us all to go so... It was mainly pretty good, and the special effects were
great, BUT there was this love scene between Neo and Trinity, intercut with a major pre-invasion
rave/orgy in Zion that just went on and on and on... Sheeze. I strongly recommend seeing this
yourself before taking younger children to see it.

Kathleen

Trevor S <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >> I got my Polar A1 HRM in December, but only have only used it 4-5 times. No idea how long it
> >> was on the shelf before I ordered it. The screen only displays FILE and will not respond to
> >> pushing the button. It acted flaky for a day or two before this, but finally seemed to regain
> >> it's senses before the last ride. Does anyone know if this behavior indicates low battery, or
> >> another problem? Thanks.
> >
> > B. Another problem, it's needless techno ****.
>
> Yeah, so stop riding a bike, you don't need that techno ****, walk ya fool!
>
> and you used a computer to type this inane repone ? more techno ****... take ya socks of and use
> ya toes to count past 12 :)

What size drool bib do you use and when does the nurse come in to change your Depends?

JD

[email protected] (Nate) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> (BIG SNIP)
> > I was having some fun with you, as the best racers I know (a couple of which I occasionally ride
> > with) all use them, because it's a very competitive field out there, especially sport/expert.
> > I'm on a loooong hiatus from racing, and would only go back on the SS, but would be willing to
> > train with one to get the most out of my training.
> >
> > But I'm not training now. I'm just riding. Bit like a cell phone. Everybody I know has one. Only
> > a percentage of them really need it. I don't carry one. Kinda retro, not wanting to be on
> > everyone's immediate leash. If they want to talk to me, they can call me where there's a phone,
> > or come find me. Or just flat go without the excitement of my company. [gasp]
> >
> > Hope yours helps you achieve your goals. If its a good tool, then don't let anybody discourage
> > you. Especially not some usenet idiots that don't really exist, except in the MATRIX.....ahhh,
> > there's a shift, eh?
> >
> > Paladin
>
> No worries. You mentioned riding a SS. I am 85% finished building a SS and was wondering about a
> few drivetrain things. I made an order to BTI for the remaining parts I don't have, but he didn't
> have a spacer kit and reccommended pulling apart an old 8 speed cassette. I will most likely do
> this but am left wondering if there is a better way.
>
> Also, BTI man didn't have a sram pc-7x ss chain. He said try a 8 speed chain, claiming it would
> actually work better than the forementioned. ???(leaving me with a dumb look on my mug)
>
> Last, going against the flow, I ordered the Rohloff tensioner as opposed to PAUL's. Rohloff
> doesn't make junk, so I think I'll be safe with this choice.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Nate (thought SS = simplicity on 2 wheels-sheesh!)

Talk to the Freak and the GMan. They know the technical stuff inside and out.

Paladin

Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

> Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a heart
> rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I like
> knowing how and how fast. I would probably enjoy using a HRM, if one were to just fall out of the
> sky and land in my lap (Hey, cool, schwag from heaven!) I wouldn't go out and buy one, though. Low
> priority item.

that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one dropped from the heavens. Not
really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's about the same thing.

Penny

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
> >
> > Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a
> > heart rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I
> > like knowing how and how fast.

In the world of Jerry Daniels, if he doesn't use it or ride it, then nobody else needs it or should
ride it. Of course this is the same person who openly admits to going into a bike shop with a
digital camera and taking pictures of welds on a bike frame, which with these two points should
speak volumes of the horses mouth (ass).

I've got a computer on my rigid that I ride street and trail with, and it is nice. The thing that
has been most impressive is seeing how my average mph has gained since I have been single speeding.
I don't "need" it, nor would I slight anyone who does or doesn't want one.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
> >
> > Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a
> > heart rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I
> > like knowing how and how fast. I would probably enjoy using a HRM, if one were to just fall out
> > of the sky and land in my lap (Hey, cool, schwag from heaven!) I wouldn't go out and buy one,
> > though. Low priority item.
> >

> that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one dropped from the heavens. Not
> really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's about the same thing.

Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?

JD

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
> > >
> > > Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a
> > > heart rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I
> > > like knowing how and how fast.

you screwed up your attributions....

ps

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
> > >
> > > Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a
> > > heart rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I
> > > like knowing how and how fast. I would probably enjoy using a HRM, if one were to just fall
> > > out of the sky and land in my lap (Hey, cool, schwag from heaven!) I wouldn't go out and buy
> > > one, though. Low priority item.
> > >

> > that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one
dropped
> > from the heavens. Not really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's
about
> > the same thing.
>
> Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?
>
> JD

only when I have need for the Force.

p.

[email protected] (Nate) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> No worries. You mentioned riding a SS. I am 85% finished building a SS and was wondering about a
> few drivetrain things. I made an order to BTI for the remaining parts I don't have, but he didn't
> have a spacer kit and reccommended pulling apart an old 8 speed cassette. I will most likely do
> this but am left wondering if there is a better way.

Buy a good SS hub and have a real SS wheel built for the rear. No dish = stronger.

> Also, BTI man didn't have a sram pc-7x ss chain. He said try a 8 speed chain, claiming it would
> actually work better than the forementioned. ???(leaving me with a dumb look on my mug)

Use a old 7 or 8 speed chain. When (if) you start to break the rollers, then replace it.

> Last, going against the flow, I ordered the Rohloff tensioner as opposed to PAUL's. Rohloff
> doesn't make junk, so I think I'll be safe with this choice.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Nate (thought SS = simplicity on 2 wheels-sheesh!)

You can't shift into granny with a singlespeed. Also, if you use a hrm or any other technocrap on a
ss, you will spontaneously combust.

JD

> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

> > > that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one
> dropped
> > > from the heavens. Not really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's
> about
> > > the same thing.
> >
> > Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?
> >
> > JD
>
> only when I have need for the Force.
>
> p.

And this is during climbing correct? :)

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Zilla thoughtfully penned:

>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...

>>> Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> only when I have need for the Force.
>>
>> p.
>>

> And this is during climbing correct? :)

I'd need a helmet mounted light sabre as I like to keep both hands on the handle bars...

hee hee

JD wrote:
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Kathleen thoughtfully penned:
>>
>>>Erm. I realize I'm chiming in late here... Why do you have to have a justification to use a heart
>>>rate monitor? Some people enjoy their toys, so what? I really like my bike computer. I like
>>>knowing how and how fast. I would probably enjoy using a HRM, if one were to just fall out of the
>>>sky and land in my lap (Hey, cool, schwag from heaven!) I wouldn't go out and buy one, though.
>>>Low priority item.
>>>

>>that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one dropped from the heavens. Not
>>really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's about the same thing.
>

> Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?

Is that what they're calling them these days?

"Luke! It glows in the dark!"

Kathleen (ducking)

> [email protected] (Nate) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > No worries. You mentioned riding a SS. I am 85% finished building a SS and was wondering about a
> > few drivetrain things. I made an order to BTI for the remaining parts I don't have, but he
> > didn't have a spacer kit and reccommended pulling apart an old 8 speed cassette. I will most
> > likely do this but am left wondering if there is a better way.
>
> Buy a good SS hub and have a real SS wheel built for the rear. No dish = stronger.

Advice I will definitely heed in the future. Right now, I am working with left over parts and trying
to keep this puppy low cost.

> > Also, BTI man didn't have a sram pc-7x ss chain. He said try a 8 speed chain, claiming it would
> > actually work better than the forementioned. ???(leaving me with a dumb look on my mug)
>
> Use a old 7 or 8 speed chain. When (if) you start to break the rollers, then replace it.

Check.

> > Last, going against the flow, I ordered the Rohloff tensioner as opposed to PAUL's. Rohloff
> > doesn't make junk, so I think I'll be safe with this choice.
> >
> > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
> >
> > Nate (thought SS = simplicity on 2 wheels-sheesh!)
>
> You can't shift into granny with a singlespeed.

Unshift into simplicity???

> Also, if you use a hrm or any other technocrap on a ss, you will >spontaneously combust.

I was concerned about this possibility...

> JD

Nate

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

> >>that's exactly how I felt about it, and then lo! and behold, one dropped from the heavens. Not
> >>really, K#2 gave me a really nice one but it's about the same thing.
> >

> > Technoweenie. Do you carry a Star Wars light sabre as well?
>
> Is that what they're calling them these days?
>
> "Luke! It glows in the dark!"
>
> Kathleen (ducking)

No, John Ritter is not a mountain biker AFAIK.

JD