Polar HRM

swcycling

May 28, 2004
Im trying to pick out a good HRM/Bike Computer. Im looking for something with All the basics, I want speed distance, time and such. I also want it to do cadence, and heart rate stuff. Finally I want to be able to download it to my computer to look at the graphs and stuff. I dont need power info (but it wouldent hurt) and I am looking in the <$250 range. The two that I have found are the Polar S520 and S720. Have you guys seen anything like this or good places to get one? Any Ideas?

swcycling said:
Im trying to pick out a good HRM/Bike Computer. Im looking for something with All the basics, I want speed distance, time and such. I also want it to do cadence, and heart rate stuff. Finally I want to be able to download it to my computer to look at the graphs and stuff. I dont need power info (but it wouldent hurt) and I am looking in the <$250 range. The two that I have found are the Polar S520 and S720. Have you guys seen anything like this or good places to get one? Any Ideas?

I have the 720S and ordered it online somewhere for $234.00 U.S

I recently added the cadence sensor.... and paid 6000 yen for that in Japan...

The 720 does everything you want plus a little more and the downloads are great...

I can't compare as I've used nothing else.

swcycling said:
I used a polar protrainer for years, but the fact that it couldn't store any data on my pc really annoyed me. Just the other day I bought a Polar s725, and based on a week of use (4 rides) I can say its fantastic!! The software is great - it gives graphs of altitude, speed and HR so you can really see what was happening in your ride. It also has LOTS of programming options to set up interval timers, although I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

Without commenting on the great quality of Polar stuff, you might want to take a look at the HAC4+ (by Ciclosport). You can find it online in Europe in the 200-250 Euro range, so it is more or less in your budget.

I know a number of people who use it and absolutely love it.

Sorry, just trying to confuse you and give you more options! :D

Powerful Pete said:
Without commenting on the great quality of Polar stuff, you might want to take a look at the HAC4+ (by Ciclosport). You can find it online in Europe in the 200-250 Euro range, so it is more or less in your budget.

I know a number of people who use it and absolutely love it.

Sorry, just trying to confuse you and give you more options! :D

Agreed - Polar is the cadillac of HRMs, but that by no means implies that other brands don't put out quality units. Ciclosport can sell their stuff cheaper because they're not a brand-name. Definitely look into your other options.

Note: this post was slightly hypocritical as I own and use a Polar

descends411 said:
Note: this post was slightly hypocritical as I own and use a Polar

Very well then, I am also hypocritical - I also own a polar. But I do wish that I had taken a closer look at some of the other offerings on the market.

BTW, can anyone tell me how the suunto stuff is quality and price-wise?

I was looking at the HAC4 but it seemed to me that to get the ability to download graphs it would cost at least another $100. making the total close to $350. Are there any other lesser known brands that you guys know of?

swcycling said:

Its just one opinion but I've used the Polar S720i (using now) and the HAC4+

Both are great, and in a nutshell I can tell you that the Polar is a great HRM that is also a bike computer, and the HAC4 is a great bike computer that has HR functions. That's about the easiest way to describe them.

You are right in that you have to buy the HACTRONIC interface to download to a computer, whereas you can use the infrared on the Polar to download to a laptop with IR (most have) or if your desktop has IR. Chances are that you will end up having to by the IR unit for the polar and the cadence sensor as well, but even with those purchases you will still be measurably cheaper than the HAC4.

The HAC4 has a "calculated" power reading, but this reading is purely derived, and in many cases can be wildly innacurate since it does not take into account things like headwind, or incline... It should work fairly well (+/-10%) on something like rollers indoors.

The Polar has the $350 power meter add-on which of course is a BIG expense, but the readings are far more accurate (useful) using the chain tension to calculate power output, and is proven to be +/-5%

One thing that was a BIG sway for me is that the Polar software is head and shoulder superior to the HAC4 equivalent... the charts and graphs are far more useful and more intuitive, and the way it presents the info as schedules on a calendar is easier to deal with than the HAC4 displays... Though the bottom line is that both have a tremendous amount of info...

One thing I like about the HAC is that it is more visually appealing and I like the physical design of it much better, but in the end, the important things won out and I got the Polar... No regrets... I returned the HAC4 with a "Its good but just not AS good" (for me)

Hope this helps!

Feanor

i have a polar s720i and love it!

hubby had a hac4.. had to return it TWICE in a year! finally returned it (a third time) and asked for our money back. he now, also has a polar s720i and loves it.

he never utilized the hac4's software to it's full potential cuz there is no good support for it. he loves the polar's software!

i say go polar!

have a polar s520 and also think it's great... no problems in it's 1st 6 mo anyway. ;)

Powerful Pete said:
Very well then, I am also hypocritical - I also own a polar. But I do wish that I had taken a closer look at some of the other offerings on the market.

BTW, can anyone tell me how the suunto stuff is quality and price-wise?

I would be very cautious about Suunto. A friend of mine had one of their watches that literaly fell apart after he had it only a few months. They refused to warranty it. And that was just on the phone with him. They didn't even want to look at it, they wouldn't cover it. Claimed he must have abused it.

I recently bought a Polar HRM model 420. I got it for about $180 from heartratemonitorsusa.com I went with this model because it was the cheapest that still had PC upload capability. It however uses sound instead of IR which can be difficult to get to work at times. Otherwise it's great.

10 years ago I bought a Performance branded HRM. It may have been cheaper, but it was a piece of ****. The battery was removable from the sensor. Once I started to sweat, the moisture would make the sensor stop working. Some dieletric grease on the battery contacts fixed that. The sensor also snapped to the chest straps. Sometimes the sensor would unsnap. So, again, IMHO, spending the money on a Polar is worth it.

JohnE

j_erhardt said:
I would be very cautious about Suunto. A friend of mine had one of their watches that literaly fell apart after he had it only a few months. They refused to warranty it. And that was just on the phone with him. They didn't even want to look at it, they wouldn't cover it. Claimed he must have abused it.

I recently bought a Polar HRM model 420. I got it for about $180 from heartratemonitorsusa.com I went with this model because it was the cheapest that still had PC upload capability. It however uses sound instead of IR which can be difficult to get to work at times. Otherwise it's great.

10 years ago I bought a Performance branded HRM. It may have been cheaper, but it was a piece of ****. The battery was removable from the sensor. Once I started to sweat, the moisture would make the sensor stop working. Some dieletric grease on the battery contacts fixed that. The sensor also snapped to the chest straps. Sometimes the sensor would unsnap. So, again, IMHO, spending the money on a Polar is worth it.

JohnE

opps, I got the model number wrong, it's an S410.

One to look at is the polar s625x.It has all the features of the new s725 but it also has a running pod that attaches to your shoe so it can measure speed, distance etc.Its extremely useful if you run as well as cycle.You do have to still buy the cadence and speed sensors though so it works out more expensive than the s725 but its worth it in my opinion.At least now I dont need a gps running system.My polar unit has everything I need.

anybody experienced with Sigma Sport ?! what do you think about the "Fit Watch" ?!... I'm thinking of getting one, I'm essentially a newbie into HRM and I think I can live w/o the downloads for now.... Thanks for your time.

HandyAndy said:
One to look at is the polar s625x.It has all the features of the new s725 but it also has a running pod that attaches to your shoe so it can measure speed, distance etc.Its extremely useful if you run as well as cycle.You do have to still buy the cadence and speed sensors though so it works out more expensive than the s725 but its worth it in my opinion.At least now I dont need a gps running system.My polar unit has everything I need.

have you seen/used one? price?