polar IR interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Roof

Just got a interface to download workouts to my computer. I cant get the interface to work. I have a
new dell computer with XP on it and a polar 710 with IR interface. I plug in the interface and the
computer says found new hardware but it wont work. I have the polar software installed and I put the
monitor in connection mode and click on connect on the computer but nothing happens. Any solutions?
Thanks for the help.

Rick

Not sure this is the forum for this discussion but here is the answer I got from Polar: Dear Sir,

Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
motherboard circuit.

To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
our web site in the Ask pages.

We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Sincerely,

Petri Tsokkinen

Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Rick Roof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just got a interface to download workouts to my computer. I cant get the interface to work. I have
> a new dell computer with XP on it and a polar
> with IR interface. I plug in the interface and the computer says found
new
> hardware but it wont work. I have the polar software installed and I put the monitor in connection
> mode and click on connect on the computer but nothing happens. Any solutions? Thanks for the help.
>
> Rick

I also have a Dell/XP computer and had a similar problem. I'm pasting the message that I received
from Polar to fix this problem, which did eventually work. Note that you must uninstall all Polar
Performance software, including the USB interface drivers and disconnect the USB IR device before
reinstalling the software.

If you do a search on Polar's site, you'll find a simple application called USB uninstall. Run the
normal Windows uninstaller first, and then run the Polar USB uninstaller. Install the Polar
Performance software from the CD, install the software update mentioned below, and then connect your
USB IR reader. Do the install logged in as Administrator.

The USB drivers are still flaky, and there are times when I have to unplug/plug in the USB IR reader
to make everything work correctly. All in all, their WinXP implementation is cludgy, but workable.

Don

FROM POLAR:

Dear Mr. Vescio,

The drivers for the USB connected interface are installed when installing/updating the software
version PPP SW 3.02.007 or later. You will find the software updates at the following URL:
http://www.polar.fi/support

Please note: When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected
into the computer's USB port. Installing differently will cause problems.

After updating process you can connect the interface. By default the USB Interface Auto Check
function is on i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is connected the software detects it
automatically and uses it in IR communication.

Connect the interface and press the HR monitor button on the toolbar of PPP SW 3.0 to see if the
yellow led in the interface flashes. If not check that the interface is connected properly. You can
try the communication if the interface does not flash; only the led may be defective. Also the IR
element may be broken although the led flashes.

Possible things for malfunctioning

The USB interface with the drivers must be installed with the instruction In the user's manual of
the interface. The most important thing is to have the interface NOT connected into the USB port
when installing/updating the software for the first time that the USB drivers are not installed. If
the interface/drivers are not installed with the manual instruction remove the USB drivers using
the attached program. Then disconnect the interface from the port. To install the drivers again run
the update file for the version PPP SW 3.02.007 or later. You must have administrator rights to
install drivers to the operating system. It is possible to install the software with user rights
but USB drivers are not installed. The software gives the error message that installation is not
successful although it is only the USB driver installation which is not complete. Installing
without administrator rights may cause problems later when installing the USB drivers with
administrator rights.

"Rick Roof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just got a interface to download workouts to my computer. I cant get the interface to work. I have
new
> hardware but it wont work. I have the polar software installed and I put the monitor in connection
> mode and click on connect on the computer but nothing happens. Any solutions? Thanks for the help.
>
> Rick

Didn't say if you had a notebook or desktop. I have been thinking about getting a 710 and had
similar queations. I talked to the Polar rep at a race recently who also had a dell/xp laptop. He
said that he was able to get it to work directly with the built-in infrared port. I know Polar says
it won't work, but it might be worth a try.

I've tried all of this and I've tried on an other computer with XP...but IR don't work. The installation seems good but nothing appened. I'll tried on Windows 2000 and if still don't work, return it to the shop.
I"M VERY DISAPOINTED BY THIS PRODUCT...375 € for that...****!

Originally posted by Don Vescio
I also have a Dell/XP computer and had a similar problem. I'm pasting the message that I received
from Polar to fix this problem, which did eventually work. Note that you must uninstall all Polar
Performance software, including the USB interface drivers and disconnect the USB IR device before
reinstalling the software.

If you do a search on Polar's site, you'll find a simple application called USB uninstall. Run the
normal Windows uninstaller first, and then run the Polar USB uninstaller. Install the Polar
Performance software from the CD, install the software update mentioned below, and then connect your
USB IR reader. Do the install logged in as Administrator.

The USB drivers are still flaky, and there are times when I have to unplug/plug in the USB IR reader
to make everything work correctly. All in all, their WinXP implementation is cludgy, but workable.

Don

FROM POLAR:

Dear Mr. Vescio,

The drivers for the USB connected interface are installed when installing/updating the software
version PPP SW 3.02.007 or later. You will find the software updates at the following URL:
http://www.polar.fi/support

Please note: When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected
into the computer's USB port. Installing differently will cause problems.

After updating process you can connect the interface. By default the USB Interface Auto Check
function is on i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is connected the software detects it
automatically and uses it in IR communication.

Connect the interface and press the HR monitor button on the toolbar of PPP SW 3.0 to see if the
yellow led in the interface flashes. If not check that the interface is connected properly. You can
try the communication if the interface does not flash; only the led may be defective. Also the IR
element may be broken although the led flashes.

Possible things for malfunctioning

The USB interface with the drivers must be installed with the instruction In the user's manual of
the interface. The most important thing is to have the interface NOT connected into the USB port
when installing/updating the software for the first time that the USB drivers are not installed. If
the interface/drivers are not installed with the manual instruction remove the USB drivers using
the attached program. Then disconnect the interface from the port. To install the drivers again run
the update file for the version PPP SW 3.02.007 or later. You must have administrator rights to
install drivers to the operating system. It is possible to install the software with user rights
but USB drivers are not installed. The software gives the error message that installation is not
successful although it is only the USB driver installation which is not complete. Installing
without administrator rights may cause problems later when installing the USB drivers with
administrator rights.

"Rick Roof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
new
>
> Rick

In article <[email protected]>, Nimrod <[email protected]> wrote:

> Don Vescio wrote:
> >...I plug in the interface and the computer says found new
> > > hardware but it wont work. I have the polar software installed and I put the monitor in
> > > connection mode and click on connect on the computer but nothing happens. Any solutions?
> > > Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > Rick
>
> I've tried all of this and I've tried on an other computer with XP...but IR don't work. The
> installation seems good but nothing appened. I'll tried on Windows 2000 and if still don't work,
> return it to the shop. I"M VERY DISAPOINTED BY THIS PRODUCT...375 € for that...****!

You need to have the interface plugged into your computer before you power up/boot/start the
computer. I use a Belkin serial adapter plugged into the serial port on my laptop. The (serial) IR
interface is plugged into the Belkin adapter.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:020820030758294574%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Nimrod <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Don Vescio wrote:
> > >...I plug in the interface and the computer says found new
> > > > hardware but it wont work. I have the polar software installed and
I
> > > > put the monitor in connection mode and click on connect on the computer but nothing
> > > > happens. Any solutions? Thanks for the help.
> > > >
> > > > Rick
> >
> > I've tried all of this and I've tried on an other computer with XP...but IR don't work. The
> > installation seems good but nothing appened. I'll tried on Windows 2000 and if still don't work,
> > return it to the shop. I"M VERY DISAPOINTED BY THIS PRODUCT...375 ? for that...****!
>
>
> You need to have the interface plugged into your computer before you power up/boot/start the
> computer. I use a Belkin serial adapter plugged into the serial port on my laptop. The (serial) IR
> interface is plugged into the Belkin adapter.
>
> -WG

Not the USB version. Even the serial port version can be configured afterwards if you know how to
assign the port manually.

In every instance I have heard this problem, the user was not getting a good clear path between the
IR ports and was prompting the download with the watch rather than the PC software. Once you set the
watch in the download mode, the PC instructs the watch for the rest of the process. In this case, I
am guessing that he is using the USB version but did not patch the software. The S710 was shipping
with a version of the software that would not work with the USB version *out of the box*.

Install the software, then get the latest patch from www.polar.fi . You can access the support site
within the POlar software under the help menu. Go to the Polar software and launch it. Go to the
"help" menue and choose "product support". Follow it to the most recent patch and make sure it
includes the USB patch. This link may get you there faster (but may be dependant on a cookie with my
own login, give it a try):

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FE A5F?OpenDocument

Send me an email if you want more help.

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.