Polar IrDA and XP?

Dellphinus

Sep 1, 2003
I think I saw some references somewhere to problems with WinXP and the Polar irDA interface? Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks,
DP

Dellphinus said:
I think I saw some references somewhere to problems with WinXP and the Polar irDA interface? Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks,
DP
Could you be more specific?

Clever H

Clever H said:
Could you be more specific?

Clever H

No, not really. Something about the USB irDA interface not palying well with WinXP. SOmebody recommended getting the serial version if you had XP, but I don't recall them going into details...

I am using XP and a USB irDA with out any problems. So cannot say I know of any issues with this combination.

Dellphinus said:

Thanks,
DP

I tried to run the Polar USB irDA with XP - followed instructions exactly, reinstalled, clean installed, tried everything. Wouldn't work. Sent it back, got a serial irDA. Perfect. No explanation, no reason for the incompatibility (not the incompatible Host Controller). Bizarre.

On the up side, Polar were very helpful and couriered me the serial link from interstate overnight, and everything works perfectly now!

Some people seem to run the USB version OK, but lots have problems. If you have a serial port I'd go straight for that - I don't see any advantage in risking incompatibility and getting the USB version.

I have a working USB and WinXP installation. Bought mine from www.heartratemonitors.co.uk where I remember reading that some hardware versions of the adaptor work with WinXP, and some older ones don't. Can't find that text on their site now though.

KakenBetaal said:
I have a working USB and WinXP installation. Bought mine from www.heartratemonitors.co.uk where I remember reading that some hardware versions of the adaptor work with WinXP, and some older ones don't. Can't find that text on their site now though.

The explanation that polar give is to do with XP's interaction with the controller of your USB port. According to their explanation my computer should have been compatible. I've no doubt the USB version works under some conditions, but it is definitely more patchy than the serial version, and the 'party line' explanation isn't the full story.

Roadie_scum said:
I tried to run the Polar USB irDA with XP - followed instructions exactly, reinstalled, clean installed, tried everything. Wouldn't work. Sent it back, got a serial irDA. Perfect. No explanation, no reason for the incompatibility (not the incompatible Host Controller). Bizarre.

On the up side, Polar were very helpful and couriered me the serial link from interstate overnight, and everything works perfectly now!

Some people seem to run the USB version OK, but lots have problems. If you have a serial port I'd go straight for that - I don't see any advantage in risking incompatibility and getting the USB version.
Yes, despite Polar's great reputation, this is one piece of kit that they have problems with. As I mentioned in another thread, I have 5 Xp or W2k setups, two of which are notebooks, and none of them work with the IRDA interface.

I intend to, but have not yet, contacted Polar to see if there is an exchange policy. In my case, a serial version would not suit since the Sony notebooks have no serial port!

I am planning to order the Logic3 IRDA interface (www.logic3.com)
84ea37ba4a5b2422f3bad3392ff49c87.jpg

Which as you can see is a rather neat solution.

Any comments about this proposed solution, I would welcome!

THe PPP software does not require any extensive processor support so my little 8 year old laptop (Dell Lattitude CXPi) with its old generation IRDA port worked fine, once I got the driver for the laptop straight. It seems like the countless patches killed the IRDA and since I hadn't used the IRDA for several years, I never noticed.

I had to reinstall the PPP once I got the driver from Dell.

IRDA is the way to go. Nothing to buy, nothing to lose. The only problem is holding the receiver in back of the laptop for the port but even 5 hour logs download in a snap.

Dellphinus said:
No, not really. Something about the USB irDA interface not palying well with WinXP. SOmebody recommended getting the serial version if you had XP, but I don't recall them going into details...
I'm using the USB set-up, with no problems so far. Perhaps it's a hardware issue, winxp does run properly on older rigs.

I'm using an AMD Athlon XP1700+, 768 MB ram.

H

You guys are scaring me, I have a Polar USB interface on the way. :eek: It'll be going on an XP home machine but I have access to a Win2k, alos, if need be.
Hopefully it'll be fine.

Lou.

upstateSC-rider said:
You guys are scaring me, I have a Polar USB interface on the way. :eek: It'll be going on an XP home machine but I have access to a Win2k, alos, if need be.
Hopefully it'll be fine.

Lou.
I'm sure it'll work, fear-not, enjoy.

You may have some initial glitches, but remember to always back-up them files.

_-H

I winder if there WAS a problem, and new hardware has corrected it? Those of you that had problems, when did you buy your interface? Same question for those of you who didn't have problems?

Think I'll fire off an email to Polar...

Thanks everyone!

DP

i played it safe and bought a serial interface for my infrared link. i was 99% sure that would work, and it did.

Dellphinus said:
I winder if there WAS a problem, and new hardware has corrected it? Those of you that had problems, when did you buy your interface? Same question for those of you who didn't have problems?

March 2004 - problems, not related to the incompatibility Polar has described.

I found out that polar USB IR units have a problem with one type of USB controlers. I cant rembember which it is though, universal or open. the one it has trouble with is the most commonly found in laptops.

jcjordan said:
I found out that polar USB IR units have a problem with one type of USB controlers. I cant rembember which it is though, universal or open. the one it has trouble with is the most commonly found in laptops.

I installed a seperate USB PCI card in my desktop. That's what worked for me.

_-H

jcjordan said:

Yep. That's what they told me. Trouble is, I had the type of controller that IS meant to work. I tried running a separate, powered, USB hub, but that didn't help either.

Clever H said:
I'm sure it'll work, fear-not, enjoy.

You may have some initial glitches, but remember to always back-up them files.

_-H
Got it in the mail today and all is well. I updated the Polar s/w then plugged in the interface as per the sticker on the USB connector.
Now I have to work on decyphering these graphs. ;) That looks like a job in itself.

Lou.

There is an issue with older models of the IRDA unit. Polar has fixed this problem with a new unit that specifically mentions XP on the back. LBS still have old stock though which is perfectly good on other operating systems. If you get the old one and need the new. Contact Polar and they will replace with the new model for free.