Polar Left/Right Balance Accuracy?

parawolf

Jan 16, 2006
I've recently bought myself a Polar Power Output kit. Yes yes, not as good as a PowerTap/SRM. However I can't afford those. I figure that even if it is inaccurate in terms of absolute measurement, it might at least be consistant in that error.

Anyway... i'm curious as to peoples consideration of the Left/Right balance numbers.

For example, a chart of a recent hill climb TT shows a massive right power output bias.

humevaleTT.gif

Do people think this is valid? I understand that everyone is likely to have a bias towards one leg or another. However this is huge in my quick look see. I have no lower back issues, my legs are appear muscularly balanced - I guess it is perhaps a co-ordination issue perhaps?

If it helps, i'm right handed. I have charts which show a more balanced output left/right, however they are 'social' rides, whereas this hill climb TT is obviously a threshold style attack.

Thoughts and comments?

The left and right balance feature of the Polar is a pretty good peice of data to have and it kind of reaffirms the obvious we all see in our pedal strokes - we favor one side or the other. What you may want to do is cross walk that with your PI function (pedaling index) to see how much of the rotation you're applying pressure against in a rotation in order to arc you're applying pressure against as you work to develop a more balanced application of pedaling stroke.

Now, on to the whole issue of polar vs. others. Polar works just fine.... It may not be the most accurate of your 1 to 5 second power levels but everything else it is comperable too. And even on 5 seconds it's pretty accurate. Do not get discouraged with what a lot of folks say. I've now had the chance to play with Powertap and Polar and look at SRM data.

Thanks for the response. At the moment, I can't see a lot wrong with the numbers the Polar gives me, so I can't complain. I've fixed (or at least identified) the cause of data drop out from the head unit (poor contact of battery).

Anyway... thanks for the pointer to 'align' the PI and L/R balance. I've forwarded the file to my coach to let him evaluate it, and i've got a booking with a cycle fit/physio person this Friday to see if they can spot anything mechanically wrong with my body/bike interaction.

parawolf said:
Thanks for the response. At the moment, I can't see a lot wrong with the numbers the Polar gives me, so I can't complain. I've fixed (or at least identified) the cause of data drop out from the head unit (poor contact of battery).

Anyway... thanks for the pointer to 'align' the PI and L/R balance. I've forwarded the file to my coach to let him evaluate it, and i've got a booking with a cycle fit/physio person this Friday to see if they can spot anything mechanically wrong with my body/bike interaction.
I used the Polar PM and strangely one year I tended to go 52R/48L and another 49L/51R. Go figure! I guess it's trainable.

Piotr said:
I used the Polar PM and strangely one year I tended to go 52R/48L and another 49L/51R. Go figure! I guess it's trainable.

at 52/48 i wouldn't be concerned! :) But at 68/32 I'm a little worried or at least looking to investigate more.