Polar Performance Software - splitting distance between bikes

parawolf

Jan 16, 2006
Hey all, i'm wondering if someone can provide some guidance on this. I've searched the internet far and wide, and perhaps i'm not using the right terms but I can't find anything that i'm after.

I've got two bikes programmed into my S725X. I was wondering if there is a way to establish from the Polar Precision Performance software (v 4.03.043) how many kilometres has been done by bike 1 and how many by bike 2.

See I can do the prebuilt report which gives distance and heart rate, but you can't chart that on a per bike instance as well as total distance (no option in the chart properties).

Any ideas?

parawolf said:
Hey all, i'm wondering if someone can provide some guidance on this. I've searched the internet far and wide, and perhaps i'm not using the right terms but I can't find anything that i'm after.

I've got two bikes programmed into my S725X. I was wondering if there is a way to establish from the Polar Precision Performance software (v 4.03.043) how many kilometres has been done by bike 1 and how many by bike 2.

See I can do the prebuilt report which gives distance and heart rate, but you can't chart that on a per bike instance as well as total distance (no option in the chart properties).

Any ideas?
I don't think you can do that but I might also have missed it. However I save rides for my different bikes as different sports. For every report you can choose wich sports to use. So instead of bike I have racer, cross and mtb. That's good enough for me.
/J

There's a lot of things I would like the software to do but it doesn't:

1. opening multipe workouts at the same time in separate windows so i can toggle quicly between them

2. as you mentioned...separate odometer info for different bikes. I can create two bikes (bike1 and bike2 with different wheel circumferences, so maybe there is a way)

3. customized reports so I can total the info for different routes ("river trail" report, "parkway" report, etc.)

4. Does anyone know how to edit out lenghty stops when the device is still running, so my HR averages aren't skewed downward?

5. I also can't figure out how to place lap markers into a workout after-the-fact

Parawolf, I did get sevaral user questions answered by Polar customer support here in the US so I will call them. DO you have a contact there in Australia you can call?

I will say the device is pretty complicated to use and the software is not that great. I hear the Vetta is a lot more intuitive. I used to own a Polar Vantage XL for years, which was the top of the line Polar, and the software back then was about 10 year behind what everyone else was doing so I don't think Polar is on the cutting edge when it comes to functional software. Back then I used Ultracoach software. They are still around and you may want to shop around for better third party software.

4. Does anyone know how to edit out lenghty stops when the device is still running, so my HR averages aren't skewed downward?

Yes, you can hit the stop button once when you hit start again it will continue where you left off. You can also use this to change sports. Hit Stop Once then hit the bottom right button to get to your next sport (great for triathlons). The only issue is that the watch only tracks the seconds from the start so if you started at 9 a.m. and rode for 2 hours then paused for 1 hour then did another hour it would say you finished at noon but really it was 1 p.m. I guess that's where the Notes come in.

5. I also can't figure out how to place lap markers into a workout after-the-fact

Go the the diagram of your heart rate etc. click the place where you want the lap time to be (left mouse button) and then use the right mouse button and select add lap time. Hope this helps!

That does help. Thank you. I have used the stop button, but that is hard to remember, and if you hit it a second time it closes out the workout. I think there is a way to edit the tabular data but each time I go in there I can't quite figure it out, nor do have the time to try and figure out the nuances of this anal product. Although the functions are great, it could be designed a lot more simple.

Yes you have to remember only to press it once. You can add additional heart rate data to merge two exercises into one. Sometimes when I'm running (I have the S625X) my polar pod is not as accurate as they make out. I take the information from the text file (*.hrm) and then copy and paste the data into Excel. I've tried copying two files into one (or appending the hrm data) but I've had problems with the overall time and the graphs looking a little funky. One annoying thing is that you the calender screen which shows weekly totals of distance, calories and time show the total distance (including running and cycling). I wish I could split that. 30 miles running and 30 miles on a bike are two VERY different activities!

I love the polar mind you I am a data junky, goes with my job....

Polar has just released version 5 of its software, renamed Polar Pro Trainer. See if they solved your problems.