Polar Power doesn't work well in cold weather?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I rode my Kestrel Talon in 34F weather and my Polar was just not recording data for about 20 miles of my ride. So the next workout I use my Raleigh Prestige in 24F weather and although I get power and hr I didn't get speed for half the ride. Then when speed registered it was reading only half actual speed.

So, for others with a Polar Power kit -- does it not work in cold weather? How cold does it get when yours don't work? What problems do you have? Or did my kits go bad?

JTE83 said:
I rode my Kestrel Talon in 34F weather and my Polar was just not recording data for about 20 miles of my ride. So the next workout I use my Raleigh Prestige in 24F weather and although I get power and hr I didn't get speed for half the ride. Then when speed registered it was reading only half actual speed.

So, for others with a Polar Power kit -- does it not work in cold weather? How cold does it get when yours don't work? What problems do you have? Or did my kits go bad?
The watch has to be on extremely tight on the handlebar mount otherwise the two pins will lose contact with the watch.
If you have a fraying wire it could have symptoms like you are describing.

The magnets and sensors need to be very secure once you have verified they will work in the position you attach them, any slippage will lead to problems like you are describing.

Are you verifying operation of the sensors via the little LED lights before going on your ride and during your ride when data is not there?

If you wrap electrical tape round all the ends of wires, so where the wires go into the power module, speed sensor etc. I find that helps, although mine hasn't gone dead in the rain for aaaages

Xav

JTE83 said:

I admittedly have never ridden with my Polar in weather that cold (aaah, the joys of SoCal living!)...but, knowing how battery voltage can be dramatically reduced in cold temps, is it possible the battery is a little weak? Just a thought.

JTE83 said:
I've used mine down to -10C (14F) without any dropouts. To be honest I haven't examined the data closely since I only use the bike for commutes when it's really cold, but at least no obvious weirdness.

I have had a couple of problems with dropouts in warm weather though. As others have said, due to problems with the connectors. Either a seating problem or corrosion. Sometimes you need to polish the connectors.
smile.gif

JTE83 said:

You should have no issues with the cold. I've ridden down to 22 degrees without significant issues at all. One thing to look at is check and see if you're putting too much tension on the cables when you mount it too the frame. If you do, you can pull the cables out of the mother board as they are 'snap in' cables to make repair easy.