Polar Power Meter and Trainers/Rollers (Indoor)

jmocallaghan

Dec 27, 2003
Ok, we've all heard the deal that the Polar HRMs with the power module have some issues potentially on indoor trainers and rollers. In researching this, I really cannot find specifically what the problems are or peoples experiences so if anyone has any, please share them with me.

Now that the cold has returned to good old North Carolina here, we've dropped back into some crappy temps and given the lack of daylight, it's easier to train indoors. With that said, I've been on a wind trainer and roller and believe my power is reporting higher - often 20-40 watts higher then where it should. Likewise, the jumps can be pretty dramatic, you can 150 watts to 268 in one or two updates of the watch.

Which leads me to the the question: is the 'potential inaccuracy' the jumping around of watts or is it that it runs higher or lower. Any ideas?

That was pretty much my experience with the Polar setup, despite a lot of fiddling/adjusting trying to get it 'just right'. Just would up getting frustrated with the whole setup and bought a Powertap :D

The problems I had with Polar on the trainer were:
1. Power reading about 25 - 30 W high when in large ring. Small ring values about the same as Powertap (based upon doing the same workout with a Powertap)
2. Power jumping by up to 80W in certain gears (large ring again despite having the chain as close as possible to the sensor in small ring gear combinations). Great for the ego, not so great for training.
3. Takes about 20 seconds or so for readings to stabilise when changing gears

Overall, it wasn't a 'bad' system, just not a 'good' one ;)

Hi, I have a polar power kit too and have had similar problems. I went for testing today with my bike strapped onto a CompuTrainer. The polar meter was also on my bike. During the training there was a varying difference of between 60 to 110W (e.g Polar 410W Computrainer 300W)! Last time 2 months ago the difference was only 30W (e.g. Polar 250W CompuTrainer 220W) using the big ring, so with the small ring it should have been about the same. I'm convinced the Computrainer is out (even thug he calibrated it). Now I don't know what zones to train in??

Does anyone know why the change has occurred?

Also what other power systems do you recommend?

Thanks..

MY02_STi said:
That was pretty much my experience with the Polar setup, despite a lot of fiddling/adjusting trying to get it 'just right'. Just would up getting frustrated with the whole setup and bought a Powertap :D

The problems I had with Polar on the trainer were:
1. Power reading about 25 - 30 W high when in large ring. Small ring values about the same as Powertap (based upon doing the same workout with a Powertap)
2. Power jumping by up to 80W in certain gears (large ring again despite having the chain as close as possible to the sensor in small ring gear combinations). Great for the ego, not so great for training.
3. Takes about 20 seconds or so for readings to stabilise when changing gears

Overall, it wasn't a 'bad' system, just not a 'good' one ;)

The Polar can vary quite a bit from large to small chain ring and even with different cogs in back. On top of that Polar only records the 5th record, not an average but the 5th record.

Power tap has been pretty good for me and my atheletes.

The Ergomo is very intreging but for the price and basically being lock into old style cranks and one bike, the PT has the advantage there.

SRM is good but expensive and not with out it's own problem.

Read Training and racing with a Power Meter to get the scoop.

Ian Mellor said:
Hi, I have a polar power kit too and have had similar problems. I went for testing today with my bike strapped onto a CompuTrainer. The polar meter was also on my bike. During the training there was a varying difference of between 60 to 110W (e.g Polar 410W Computrainer 300W)! Last time 2 months ago the difference was only 30W (e.g. Polar 250W CompuTrainer 220W) using the big ring, so with the small ring it should have been about the same. I'm convinced the Computrainer is out (even thug he calibrated it). Now I don't know what zones to train in??

Does anyone know why the change has occurred?

Also what other power systems do you recommend?

Thanks..