Polar Power - No Speed data recording

gavinb

Jan 14, 2004
Polar 720 + Polar Power Meter

Saturday working fine, Sunday no Speed data is showing, no little red light.
The sensor and the wheel magnet are where they have been working fine for the last 6 months.

All other data, inc power is reading and recording fine.

Any ideas??

gavinb said:

The sensor and the wheel magnet are where they have been working fine for the last 6 months.

Any ideas??

Check the battery in the head unit. If nothing has moved and there's no red LED flashing it sounds like there's no power.

I don't know if the speed sensor has a separate battery inside it - give your local Polar distributor a call to find out if this is the case.

The power sensor actually is the speed, cadence and power sensors. You don’t use the separate wireless speed sensor that comes with the Polar 720. If you are still using the wireless speed sensor, that’s probably why it’s not working. You need to use the wired speed sensor that’s part of the power unit.

The red light should flash if you spin the rear wheel and the magnet is passing the speed sensor. The flashing lights on the power sensor stop flashing after a minute or 2. And they won’t flash again unless there is no sensor activity for a minute or 2 also. You may need to adjust the gap between the speed sensor and the wheel magnet. I assume you mounted the speed sensor on the non-drive side of the rear wheel? And I assume you mounted the sensor as close to the axle as possible? You need to keep the speed sensor as far away from the power sensor as you can (per the Polar instructions) otherwise the 2 sensors may interfere with each other.

You can reset the power unit by removing the battery from the bar mount. Maybe that will help

I've had problems with the speed as well. I'll be riding along at say 18mph, then all of a sudden my speed will jump to 40-50mph, for no reason at all. Then after a few minutes it will return to normal. It will do this throughout my ride. Has anybody seen this problem before?

ctcyclist said:
I've had problems with the speed as well. I'll be riding along at say 18mph, then all of a sudden my speed will jump to 40-50mph, for no reason at all. Then after a few minutes it will return to normal. It will do this throughout my ride. Has anybody seen this problem before?

Not that problem, but my speed quit about a week ago just like the poster's. Nothing wrong with the magnet, gap, sensor, wires, connections, etc. Power and cadence works fine though so I just continue to ride but I assume that the speed sensor is kaput. Kind of sucks how since it is integrated the whole power system you either need to replace the whole thing or just live with it :mad: .

wilmar13 said:
Not that problem, but my speed quit about a week ago just like the poster's. Nothing wrong with the magnet, gap, sensor, wires, connections, etc. Power and cadence works fine though so I just continue to ride but I assume that the speed sensor is kaput. Kind of sucks how since it is integrated the whole power system you either need to replace the whole thing or just live with it :mad: .
Maybe the battery in the power unit is going flat?

I had the same problem and then about a month ago cadance and power also stopped working. I havent got around to trying a new battery yet.

I've had the problem once (in which power and cadence were working, but speed wasn't) and quickly discovered that although everything was in the right position, I apparently hit the magent while putting the rear wheel on, and turned it around backwards (real smart). Other than that, I've had no issues at all.

If as you say it's ONLY the speed, and you're not using the wireless sensor (you shouldn't be) then check the wiring running to the speed sensor itself. Possible it's been kinked/damaged in some way?

As has already been suggested, failing anything else wrong...check the battery.

To the poster with strange speed readings, sounds as if you're using wireless...I've never seen strange readings on anything but wireless. It's caused by interference with something around where you were riding at the time...power lines, etc. It might help to turn the signal strength up as much as possible. In my experience with Polar wireless, I found that it happened around here in only one area, although I rode around similar structures in other places.

John

Mansmind said:
I've had the problem once (in which power and cadence were working, but speed wasn't) and quickly discovered that although everything was in the right position, I apparently hit the magent while putting the rear wheel on, and turned it around backwards (real smart). Other than that, I've had no issues at all.
At least for me, this is not the issue, I even tried using a different magnet! Wire not kinked either. I guess it could be the battery like Steve said, perhaps the whole thing will conk out soon, but looking at my training data the speed sensor actually quit three weeks ago, and I have 27 hours of ride time since so hope for that being the problem is slim. :mad:

Mansmind said:
To the poster with strange speed readings, sounds as if you're using wireless...I've never seen strange readings on anything but wireless. It's caused by interference with something around where you were riding at the time...power lines, etc. It might help to turn the signal strength up as much as possible. In my experience with Polar wireless, I found that it happened around here in only one area, although I rode around similar structures in other places.
John

I did at one time have strange readings with my power and not my speed. My power would spike to 2500watts, then settle at like 1500 (when it was more like 500-300). I noticed the chain speed sensor wire seemed like it was wrapped funny around my rear derailuer, wrapped it again and never had a problem, not wireless but perhaps some kind of interference issue all the same. :confused:

wilmar13 said:
At least for me, this is not the issue, I even tried using a different magnet! Wire not kinked either. I guess it could be the battery like Steve said, perhaps the whole thing will conk out soon, but looking at my training data the speed sensor actually quit three weeks ago, and I have 27 hours of ride time since so hope for that being the problem is slim. :mad:

I did at one time have strange readings with my power and not my speed. My power would spike to 2500watts, then settle at like 1500 (when it was more like 500-300). I noticed the chain speed sensor wire seemed like it was wrapped funny around my rear derailuer, wrapped it again and never had a problem, not wireless but perhaps some kind of interference issue all the same. :confused:
I had the same issue in the past. At first, I thought I had something wrong with the chain speed sensor. What it has turned out to be strangely enough is how the wrist unit is mounted (the contacts). Apparently the wrist unit is VERY picky about how it's seated, even if the contacts are getting made... they may not be getting made right. If you see the power spike like that.. remove the wrist unit, put it back on and it will probably read correctly :)

Once I started paying special attention to make sure it was completely seated before tightening the strap.. I haven't had the issue since. Of course I only discovered this after repeatedly taking the chain sensor off and re-installing trying to figure out what was going on.

Perhaps yours is a different issue, but I thought I'd pass it along in case it happens to you again.

Back when I used a polar I had the same problem after washing the bike. Drying the sensor better fixed it.

gavinb said:

Any ideas??
If you haven't done so already, contact Polar....I did and their service (for my under warranty powermeter) was terrific. With mine, there was an issue where the speed sensor plugs into the main circuit board on the chainstay magnet. It also happenned from one ride to the next.

It's all fixed and working well again.

rbaral said:
If you haven't done so already, contact Polar....I did and their service (for my under warranty powermeter) was terrific. With mine, there was an issue where the speed sensor plugs into the main circuit board on the chainstay magnet. It also happenned from one ride to the next.

It's all fixed and working well again.

You are probably one of those guys that fills out your registration card and keeps your reciepts. :eek:

Not using the wireless speed sensor.
Checked the Battery - no joy
Checked the cable run - no joy
Checked the wheel magnet - no joy
Contacted Polar - Last resort!

You are probably one of those guys that fills out your registration card and keeps your reciepts.

.....and with good reason, obviously! :)
[actually, I ordered it online and saved the receipt in my 'training' folder]

gavinb said:
Before I sent mine in, I tried 3 separate magnets and changed the handlebar unit battery....if you are seeing yellow and green lights but not red, if the magnet and cable are fine, the problem HAS to be in the chainstay unit (and I'm certainly not going open that up...at least not while it's still under warranty).

actually, I ordered it online and saved the receipt in my 'training' folder

Before I sent mine in, I tried 3 separate magnets and changed the handlebar unit battery....if you are seeing yellow and green lights but not red, if the magnet and cable are fine, the problem HAS to be in the chainstay unit (and I'm certainly not going open that up...at least not while it's still under warranty).

Don't you love shopping on line, all the admin takes care of it's self!

I am still waiting for Polar to reply to my emails........ :confused:

FYI...you might end up having to call them. They are great on the phone but never did respond to my questions via email.

gavinb said:
Also… something simple to check. Is the wheel size info in the HRM set to the proper wheel size? I just connected my Polar to the computer (easier than navigating the HRM menus) and under the “Bike” tab you should see Bike 1, and something like Wheel Size: 2096 mm.

And last but not least, have you re-set the HRM? The re-set button is the recessed button between the up and down buttons on the right side of the HRM.