Polar Power updates?

BigDave

Jul 22, 2003
Any word on the new power module from Polar at Interbike? There have been snipets of info about some new computers, but nothing on the power meter.

BigDave said:
Any word on the new power module from Polar at Interbike? There have been snipets of info about some new computers, but nothing on the power meter.
I'll be at Interbike today and tomorrow. I don't ride with a Polar (I ride with a PT), so I may not ask the most astute questions but I'll do my best to find out what's new and different with the new Polar. I'll also take pics.

RapDaddyo said:
I'll be at Interbike today and tomorrow. I don't ride with a Polar (I ride with a PT), so I may not ask the most astute questions but I'll do my best to find out what's new and different with the new Polar. I'll also take pics.

Thanks. I'm mostly curious to see if the new power meter will work with existing units like the S725, etc.

Trying to decide if I should wait on the new unit or go ahead and pick up the existing one.

BigDave said:
Thanks. I'm mostly curious to see if the new power meter will work with existing units like the S725, etc.

Trying to decide if I should wait on the new unit or go ahead and pick up the existing one.

I'd be willing to bet it won't be "backwards compatible" due mostly to the wireless technology.

A big factor in your decision making could be: "Can you wait until *at least* Feb. 2007 before getting your power module?" Apparently, that's the current ETA of the unit.

Rapdaddyo, a hearty "Thanks!" for anything you can dig up.

Tom Anhalt said:
I'd be willing to bet it won't be "backwards compatible" due mostly to the wireless technology.

A big factor in your decision making could be: "Can you wait until *at least* Feb. 2007 before getting your power module?" Apparently, that's the current ETA of the unit.

That's what I'm guessing as well. If that's the case, then I'm not going to wait to upgrade to a new computer. I think we had this same conversation on topica wattage.

Tom Anhalt said:

I'm guessing Feb 07 may be premature. I heard "Spring 07" yesterday. I'll track down a techie today and get into more details. Since I'm not a Polar power guru, maybe you can arm me with the right questions to ask about backward compatibility and new features and functions, etc. Other than general and obvious questions, I just don't know what to ask.

RapDaddyo said:
I'm guessing Feb 07 may be premature. I heard "Spring 07" yesterday. I'll track down a techie today and get into more details. Since I'm not a Polar power guru, maybe you can arm me with the right questions to ask about backward compatibility and new features and functions, etc. Other than general and obvious questions, I just don't know what to ask.

Cool...Here's a couple of good questions:

1. What's the power recording interval? Is it shorter than 5 secs. now?

2. What's the total memory time?

4. Is it possible to display the running average power during an interval?

3. Besides the wireless transmission, did they change the power module circuitry and software to address the known "issues" of the power module performance on trainers, etc? In other words, did they upgrade the power measurement and calculation abilities or did they just add in the wireless transmission?

4. Will seperate power modules and speed sensors be available for purchase for people with multiple bike setups, and what's the expected price?

I think that's a good list...thanks again for doing this! Muchas gracias!

Tom Anhalt said:
Cool...Here's a couple of good questions:

1. What's the power recording interval? Is it shorter than 5 secs. now?
1 sec.

Tom Anhalt said:
2. What's the total memory time?
99 hours.

Tom Anhalt said:
4. Is it possible to display the running average power during an interval?
No.

Tom Anhalt said:
3. Besides the wireless transmission, did they change the power module circuitry and software to address the known "issues" of the power module performance on trainers, etc? In other words, did they upgrade the power measurement and calculation abilities or did they just add in the wireless transmission?
Yes, they allege that they addressed both installation issues ("the new model is both easier and more intuitive to install") and power measurement on a trainer issues. The guy I talked with was not a true techie, more of a wannabe techie, so he didn't have any details to back up these assertions. Sounds like sales rep talking points.

Tom Anhalt said:
4. Will seperate power modules and speed sensors be available for purchase for people with multiple bike setups, and what's the expected price?
Yes. CS600 computer alone = $400. CS600 with power kit = $650. No prices for the individual components, but they will be offered separately. Note the seat stay mounted transmitter, hardwired to the chainstay pickup.

Availability Feb/Mar 07.

See pics below (and next post).

RapDaddyo said:
More Interbike pics.
Thanks for the report and photos, RD!

I'd love to see confirmation that Polar did indeed address the "trainer vibration modes coupling" problem, but that aside, I think one has to hand it to them for designing very nice looking, both aesthetically and GUI-wise, head units!

OK, well, at least that's my humble opinion. :)

Berend

Thank you very much RD!

RapDaddyo said:
99 hours.
Do you know for which recording interval this is? For the 720 the memory capacity is also something like 99 hours (heartrate only) but less than five hours with power at five second intervals.

/J

RapDaddyo said:
1 sec.

99 hours.

No.

Yes, they allege that they addressed both installation issues ("the new model is both easier and more intuitive to install") and power measurement on a trainer issues. The guy I talked with was not a true techie, more of a wannabe techie, so he didn't have any details to back up these assertions. Sounds like sales rep talking points.

Yes. CS600 computer alone = $400. CS600 with power kit = $650. No prices for the individual components, but they will be offered separately. Note the seat stay mounted transmitter, hardwired to the chainstay pickup.

Availability Feb/Mar 07.

See pics below (and next post).
Nice, looks good :)

jstock said:
Thank you very much RD!

Do you know for which recording interval this is? For the 720 the memory capacity is also something like 99 hours (heartrate only) but less than five hours with power at five second intervals.

/J
My apologies. The 99 hrs is for the highest recording frequency (1sec). That was in fact my question, "What is the memory capacity at the 1sec recording interval?"

Thanks for the pics and info, RD. It looks like this unit isn't going to be backwards compatible, which is understandable. The improvements do look nice, but I don't think I'm going to wait 6 months to start with power. I can always upgrade later on. Thanks again!

BigDave said:
Thanks for the pics and info, RD. It looks like this unit isn't going to be backwards compatible, which is understandable. The improvements do look nice, but I don't think I'm going to wait 6 months to start with power. I can always upgrade later on. Thanks again!
They made it clear that the system is neither forward nor backward compatible with prior units. To me, everything but the hardwired transmitter look nice and sleek. I found the transmitter sort of large and bulky (in spite of its tubular shape). It definitely takes away from the sleekness of the unit. I was surprised that they didn't figure out a way to incorporate the transmitter in the chain stay mounted pickup unit.

RapDaddyo said:
They made it clear that the system is neither forward nor backward compatible with prior units. To me, everything but the hardwired transmitter look nice and sleek. I found the transmitter sort of large and bulky (in spite of its tubular shape). It definitely takes away from the sleekness of the unit. I was surprised that they didn't figure out a way to incorporate the transmitter in the chain stay mounted pickup unit.

Yeah, that transmitter looks pretty sizable. I probably would just upgrade to a PT versus upgrading to this unit. The only thing I wish the PT had was altitude, but I guess I could continue using the S725 for that.

BigDave said:
Yeah, that transmitter looks pretty sizable. I probably would just upgrade to a PT versus upgrading to this unit. The only thing I wish the PT had was altitude, but I guess I could continue using the S725 for that.
Their market positioning is interesting. While the unit is "wireless," there's actually a fair bit of "wiring" involved -- power unit, transmitter, speed pickup. I counted about 10 zip ties on the floor model not counting the handlebar computer mount (which is common to all the PMs). The new PT SL2.4 is now clearly the easiest and simplest installation of any PM on the market. Even if you want direct cadence (vs. virtual cadence from the hub), it's a total of 2 zip ties and a handlebar mount. Without the crank cadence pickup, it's zero zip ties. I think I could have the PT SL2.4 on a new bike and out the door riding in less than 5mins. The new Polar may be wireless but it doesn't appear to be any less installation effort as a result of being wireless. It remains to be seen how much fiddling around (and test rides) one must do to get the power pickup properly positioned. The PT SL2.4, on the other hand, is wireless and the installation effort is basically eliminated. Note that I'm not knocking anybody's PM here. I'm just making observations on speed and ease of installation.

By the looks of things, I'd almost prefer the wire over the big, tubed shaped transmitter on the seat stay. Chain tension sensor, chain speed sensor, and speed sensor all still look pretty much the same.

I also wonder what their claimed accuracy is now, too. Aren't the current units something like "within +/- 10% with average accuracy over a long period much less"?

Mmm...I saw the photos and was pondering what that huge tube was, then it strukc me that it was a transmitter - with it being so big - I'd want to be able to read the power output 5 miles away! ;)