Polar question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by shill, Feb 8, 2005.

1. shill

shill New Member

I have a Polar 625x that I use primarily for running, but I am considering purchasing Polar speed/cadence sensors for my bike. I have two questions, both of which I received some feedback from Polar on. However, there answers are either too vague or simply not good enough. So I thought I would check with the experts.

Question 1: I would like to mount the speed sensor to the back wheel, but apparently this takes some effort. Polar said that I could disassemble the sensor and adjust the transmission settings. They said that "this has been adequate for most stationary bike users." Has anyone done this, and if so, have you had any problems? I would like to be able to use the speed sensor both on the trainer and on the road, of course without having to move the sensor each time.

Question 2: I don't want to have to use the handlebar mount for the watch. This will make the transition between the swim/bike/run much easier. Polar says that the sensors are too directional, so I would have to use the handlebar mount. If this is the case, I am inclined to leave the speed/cadence sensor that I have now on the bike, and ignore the functionality of the Polar. Has anyone had any luck with wearing the watch on the wrist and still having the speed/cadence register?

Tags:

2. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

As regards question 2, I can be of some assistance, although I cannot answer you directly about wearing it on the wrist. I didnt want to use the handlebar mount either.

My training bike had a Shimano Wireless Flightdeck on the bike, and that situates the computer just ahead of and inline with the stem. I went to the pet store (lol) and got a nice blue fabric collar in extra small - the kind that had the little plastic fasteners. I cut it here and there and made a fastener that now simply holds the watch right on top of the stem, with the bands both folded forward. It sits there snug and doesnt stress any lines or anything. The speed and cadence on the Polar also worked just fine and didnt interfere with anything the Flight Deck was doing (a sensor for each is on each side of the fork). Works awesome. I'm very happy with that. There is now still room to put clip-ons on the bike if I so wish. I have a 720si.

3. xbgs351

xbgs351 New Member

Q1. Mine works without adjusting the settings. The only problem is the magnet is too weak, but this is the same on the front wheel.

4. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

I have a S625X also. I emailed Polar about question #1 for the same exact reason. They replied that mounting the speed sensor in the rear will not work because it is too far from the watch. I should have tried it, but I took their word for it. Let me know if it works for you, I may try to relocate the speed sensor.

5. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

My front-wheel mounted speed sensor is monitored accurately by my 725 computer on my wrist.
    Where do you intend to place the cadence sensor?

6. shill

shill New Member

Polar responded to my question as follows:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the
    delay in responding to your
    message.

The sensors are very directional. The unit is
    designed to be mounted on
    the bike handlebars. It is recommended you use
    the bike mount.

You may purchase a bike mount from our customer
    service department. The
    bike mount retails for $8.99 plus $3.50 shipping
    and handling.

Please forward your request (including your
    mailing address) along with
    payment to the address listed below.

Regarding the speed sensor, while the speed
    sensor was designed to be
    mounted on the front wheel, most customers have
    been able to use the sensor
    mounted on the rear wheel of a stationary bike by
    increasing the
    transmission range in the sensor.

There are three possible settings for the
    transmission range in the sensor:
    short, medium and long.

We strongly recommend that you send the sensor to
    an authorized Polar
    Service Center, where the unit is tested for
    water resistance after
    adjustment. Water resistance cannot be guaranteed
    after unauthorized
    service.

If you wish to adjust the sensor by yourself,
    follow the attached
    instructions carefully and note that the warranty
    does not cover damage or
    consequential
    damage caused by service not carried out by an
    authorized service center of
    Polar Electro.

(See attached file: TRANSMISSION RANGE
    ADJUSTMENT.doc)

If you would like to return your unit for service
    please return your sensor
    plus $2.95 for return shipping and handling to:

Polar Electro Inc.
    1111 Marcus Avenue
    Suite M15
    Lake Success, NY 11042-1034
    Attn: Technical Service

Please include your name, address and daytime
    phone number in the event we
    need to contact you.

It is recommended you return your unit in a
    traceable manner such as UPS
    Ground or Insured US Mail.

If you need further assistance please feel free
    to contact customer service
    at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Thank you for choosing Polar.

Customer Service
    POLAR ELECTRO INC.

7. shill

shill New Member

This is the attached document to the email from Polar:

Please note!

We highly recommend that you send the Cadence Sensor to an authorised Polar Service Centre for the transmission adjustment, where the unit will be water-resistant tested after the adjustment. Water resistance cannot be guaranteed after an unauthorised service.

• min 60cm (parallel)
    • min 90cm (parallel)

Put the unit on a clean, dust-free pad on a flat table surface and open the sensor by removing the two screws counter-clockwise, with a small screwdriver.

Lift the case off carefully. Hold the sensor cover upwards ensuring that the PCBA (printed circuit board assembly) stays in the case.

Remove the PCBA carefully.

Adjust the jumper. See the position of the jumper in relation to the transmission range in the following pictures.

min 60 cm (parallel) min 90 cm (parallel)

min 110 cm (parallel)

Make sure that the jumper is securely attached to the pin(s).

Put the PCBA back into place.

Make sure that the sealing ring is not damaged and is in its groove. Replace the sealing ring, if necessary. Silicon paste can be used to keep the ring in place. Replace the case.

Put the two screws in their holes and tighten them first to 0.5 kgf.cm, holding the case level while tightening the screws. Do not force the screws or damage the existing threads.

After tightening both screws to 0.5 kgf.cm tighten them to 2.0 kgf.cm.

Test the sensor by checking that it gives out an orange flash when the magnet passes the sensor.

8. shill

shill New Member

Is there more than one place to put the cadence sensor?

9. DanP

DanP New Member

Hi Shill,

I had the same concerns as I like to wear my s720 throughout an entire Tri. I have both cadence and speed, and did set the jumper on the sensor to the max position (a simple task).

I set the watch to bike mode before the swim, and in my last 8 events it's worked great - aero bars or drops, picks up everything.

It is useless during the race but nice to examine the graphs for speed and cadence on the computer later.

And I do keep a std speedo on my bike, looking at your wrist is not practical.

Hope that helps.

10. brtguy

brtguy New Member

Hello,

I have tried using a polar 510 just as you asked. In the first instance, the speed sensor works fine on the rear wheel. I placed the sensor on the seat stay inside the triangle so that it points towards the seat tube and I have no problems with the speed measurement. As to your second query, I tried with the cadence sensor only when I mounted it (on the downtube, not seat tube as I have seen) to another bike I used for the day. However, while on my wrist the monitor did not pick up and display a cadence measurement. I don't know if it would pick up the speed measurement from the fork.

Hope this helps.

11. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Thanks Shill. This is great info. I wonder if it isn't already, why it isn't set for the maximum transmission distance allowed? Since I have not opened the speed unit yet, will the pcb be labeled clearly for 60cm, 90cm and 110cm? If you have the original document with illustrations, will you be able to send it to me?

Thanks once again.

12. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

Never mind. Just called Polar and they provided me with the document. But thanks for the info.

13. dbianucci

dbianucci New Member

I have a Polar 720i. I tried the same approach, mounting the speed sensor on the back wheel. I found it actually worked while I was testing it out to get the alignment correct for the wireless transmitter. However, when I got on the bike, I couldn't get a reading. I assume it's because my body got in the way and the signal was not strong enough to get through.

The only solution I know of is to go with an inexpensive tethered speed monitor and use the Polar for cadence and HR. That does not solve your problem, but hopefully this post will save you a bit of time if you try to mount on the backwheel; make sure you adjust for your body position.

14. Rominger

Rominger New Member

I was looking for some triathlete to respond to this, so I can ask about wearing the Polar during a tri. I have recently purchased the 725 and I am extremely happy during my trainning, but I am still in doubt of using during a race.

Do you use it during the swim or do you keep it with your bike until you go to T1? Also did you have any problems (imagining you are also using at the sea and not at a lake) with the sensor (manual says something about a possibility of a temporary short circuit of the transmission)?

15. dk0437

dk0437 New Member

Can you please send me the following manual, "min 110cm" seems wonderfully fit my bike, but I couldn't see the "picture" below which I couldn't figure out 3rd jumper combination on "existing 3 pins", so far I can only reach "90 cm"[email protected]