Polar S150 HRM - opinions/alternatives?

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
Any feedback/experience from ya'all regarding this HRM? I realize the benefit of having one, but don't want to settle for a budget HRM just because it's comparatively inexpensive. I don't have a tons of cash to spend - especially considering that I need to save for a race-worthy wheelset, but this one caught my eye for the features and price. Basic HRM features (average, target, max) and then standard wristwatch features are cool, but cycle speed features aren't really something I'd utilize considering the minimal features available in the sub-$100 range (or so I gather from preliminary shopping around).

Any feedback on this specific HRM? Any worthy alternatives? Sub-$100 range.

Does it capture Max HR for a ride? 'Cause that's all you really need to know. :D

Seriously though, I had the Polar 620i and there were 2 functions that I really liked: 1) infrared download to computer for automatic journalling, and 2) interval function.

If those items are out of your range, then I'd probably get a pretty basic HRM just to see how it goes.

ryanspeer said:
Any feedback/experience from ya'all regarding this HRM? I realize the benefit of having one, but don't want to settle for a budget HRM just because it's comparatively inexpensive. I don't have a tons of cash to spend - especially considering that I need to save for a race-worthy wheelset, but this one caught my eye for the features and price. Basic HRM features (average, target, max) and then standard wristwatch features are cool, but cycle speed features aren't really something I'd utilize considering the minimal features available in the sub-$100 range (or so I gather from preliminary shopping around).

Any feedback on this specific HRM? Any worthy alternatives? Sub-$100 range.
Polars are all great and function well. Accross the board, they all have shoddy water resistance, so don't swim with it. A replaceable battery in the chest strap would be a great improvement to the line. Otherwise, I have had knock offs and they are usually not as good as the Polars. I aslo use a HR specific model as opposed to one that integrates with a cyclocomputer. Good luck.

I have a S150 and find that for my current uses, it is perfect for my needs. It tracks my MHR, AHR (Average Heart Rate) and can give me a constant reading of my current HR as I ride.

Where it lacks:

Poor water resistance. Then again, I don't do Triathalon training, so i don't swim with it.

Non-coded chest strap. If you do group rides or race with others that have the same model or other non-coded chest strap and you will get dirty data. Not to mention that a flapping shirt/jersey can show a false elevated HR. Though I don't know if it is relegated to only this chest strap.

GuyNoir said:
I have a S150 and find that for my current uses, it is perfect for my needs. It tracks my MHR, AHR (Average Heart Rate) and can give me a constant reading of my current HR as I ride.

Where it lacks:

Poor water resistance. Then again, I don't do Triathalon training, so i don't swim with it.

Non-coded chest strap. If you do group rides or race with others that have the same model or other non-coded chest strap and you will get dirty data. Not to mention that a flapping shirt/jersey can show a false elevated HR. Though I don't know if it is relegated to only this chest strap.
The non coded strap can be fun in group rides. Get close to a HR obsessor and scare him or her with your HR.

DON'T EVER SWIM OR GET IN THE WATER WITH A POLAR MONITOR. They have mickey mouse quality water resistance all through the line. Still the best HR for cycling and swimming but not ironman quality in terms of all around sports watch.