Polar S410 for dummies

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Aloke Prasad, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    I just bought a Polar S410 and am trying to figure out how to best use it. This came with
    PolarPrecisionPerformance ver 4.00.025.

    In setting up the Exercises (in PPP, which I'll then transfer to the S410), if I choose Basic
    Training, I get to select 3 timers (Timer 1 , 2, 3) and 3 heart rate limits (Limit 1, 2, 3) and 2
    Recovery calculations (Time, End Heart rate).

    I set the following:

    Timer 1: 10 min Timer 2: 40 min Timer 3: 10 min

    HR Limit 1: 90 - 150 bpm HR Limit 2: 150 - 180 bpm HR Limit 3: 90 - 130 bpm

    Recovery Time : 1 min Recovery end heart rate : 90 bpm

    So, how does all this work? I start my exercise. The first 10 minutes, the HR limits will be 140-160
    (warm-up), next 40 minutes, the HR limits will be 150 - 180 (main workout), final 10 minutes the HR
    limits will be 90 - 150 (cooldown). The S410 will additionally tell me how much my HR dropped in 1
    min after all this is over. It will also tell me when my HR dropped to 90.

    Is this all correct? Have I understood the concept behind Basic Training?

    I'll worry about Interval Training later ....

    Now, some misc. questions: I completed 1 set of Polar Fitness Test (all it seems to do is measure
    resting heart rate). I also completed 1 hour of exercise on a stationary bike and downloaded the HR
    data (from a Basic Use E0 session).

    I have set OwnCal counter to ON - this will let me get the amount of Kcal consumed in each exercise
    Fitness test to ON - this is really used when running a Polar Fitness test? What else is this for?
    HRmax-p ON - How/when does S410 calculate my predicted maximum heart rate?

    How do I measure my VOx rate?

    So many questions .. so little time. Thanks in advance.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    I can't answer your question, but you may want to try it on this website/forum.

    http://www.fitconnection.com/directory/Apparel_and_Equipment/Health_Assessment_Tools/index.shtml

  3. Aloke Prasad wrote:
    > I just bought a Polar S410 and am trying to figure out how to best use it. This came with
    > PolarPrecisionPerformance ver 4.00.025.
    >
    > In setting up the Exercises (in PPP, which I'll then transfer to the
    > S410), if I choose Basic Training, I get to select 3 timers (Timer 1 , 2, 3) and 3 heart rate
    > limits (Limit 1, 2, 3) and 2 Recovery calculations (Time, End Heart rate).
    >
    > I set the following:
    >
    > Timer 1: 10 min Timer 2: 40 min Timer 3: 10 min
    >
    > HR Limit 1: 90 - 150 bpm HR Limit 2: 150 - 180 bpm HR Limit 3: 90 - 130 bpm
    >
    > Recovery Time : 1 min Recovery end heart rate : 90 bpm
    >
    > So, how does all this work? I start my exercise. The first 10 minutes, the HR limits will be 140-
    > 160 (warm-up), next 40 minutes, the HR limits will be 150 - 180 (main workout), final 10 minutes
    > the HR limits will be 90 - 150 (cooldown). The S410 will additionally tell me how much my HR
    > dropped in 1 min after all this is over. It will also tell me when my HR dropped to 90.
    >
    > Is this all correct? Have I understood the concept behind Basic Training?
    >
    > I'll worry about Interval Training later ....
    >
    > Now, some misc. questions: I completed 1 set of Polar Fitness Test (all it seems to do is measure
    > resting heart rate). I also completed 1 hour of exercise on a stationary bike and downloaded the
    > HR data (from a Basic Use E0 session).
    >
    > I have set OwnCal counter to ON - this will let me get the amount of Kcal consumed in each
    > exercise Fitness test to ON - this is really used when running a Polar Fitness test? What else is
    > this for? HRmax-p ON - How/when does S410 calculate my predicted maximum heart rate?
    >
    > How do I measure my VOx rate?
    >
    > So many questions .. so little time. Thanks in advance.

    I believe you have misunderstood most of what you describe above, or at least I didn't follow you.
    Try this site below for asking your questions again but try to ask one or two related questions at a
    time if you want good answers. It is probably the best Polar Forum around. http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/cgi-
    bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

    BTW why do you have so little time?

    --
    Perre

  4. Aloke Prasad

    Aloke Prasad Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Aloke Prasad wrote:
    > > I just bought a Polar S410 and am trying to figure out how to best use it. This came with
    > > PolarPrecisionPerformance ver 4.00.025.
    > >
    > I believe you have misunderstood most of what you describe above, or at least I didn't follow you.
    > Try this site below for asking your questions again but try to ask one or two related questions at
    > a time if you want good answers. It is probably
    the
    > best Polar Forum around. http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

    Thanks for that link. I'll post a few questions at a time there. I was hoping that some user would
    have a web page on Polar HRM FAQ's and How to's (beyond what Polar has in their manuals.).

    My problem is mostly out of a basic lack of knowledge about training terminology and concepts.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

  5. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    I just purchased the S-520. Instructions are very difficult to follow. I've read and re-read them.

    Good luck.