Polar S510 & S710 users.

I've just bought a S710, used it for the first time on Sun. on a 200 km run. Each time I moved from the bike I had this problem, but the main problem was that my HR would not pick up again afterwards. I fugure this is die to the water I used to make the connection on the strap and died and is now dry salt from sweating. I tried to get some more water on the strap but it didn't work. I'm thinking of using some other fluid to connect (KY jelly or vassaline - no I don't have these items in my house already!).

Has anyone else had this type of problem and/or fixed it?

Ssushi

Ssushi:

Just spit on the transmitter. Your saliva conducts electricty quite well. I dought KY or Vaseline would do any better, and would be a lot lot more mess. Saliva conducts electricity a lot better than tap water also.

Obviously Polar finally listened to all the bike riders out there, and fixed this major ovesight with the new S710i series. The auto shutdown time is now 30 minutes, and this I find to be quite ok.

For those with the older S710, the new PPP4 software does allow for merging of HRM files. There are still problems sending files by email (ie does not send the joined HRM files).

I actually had a S710 for some time, but got rid of it for just this reason - I kept on losing too many rides. And you cannot wear it on your wrist (I find). The temperature readings will be totally stuffed, so of course will be the altitude. I also found that you get intermittent pickup from the speed and cadence sensors - especially if you move your arms around a bit (ie, stretch or something).

And there is no way you will remember to take it off the bike when you stop - there are always times you are busy doing something else and forget.