Polar S710

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Chris Macmillan, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar S720
    and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??

    Thanks, CM

    Tags:

  2. M~

    M~ Guest

    Go to their webite and download the latest program update. Installing that worked for me. I was
    having the same problems under Win2000. Downloaded and installed the patch and now it works fine.
    Mark http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FE A5F?OpenDocument -
    might work...might not ;)

    "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  3. Erik T Heidt

    Erik T Heidt Guest

    Chris:

    How are you trying to communicate:

    (A) Using built in IrDA in your PC
    (B) Using their Serial communication tool
    (C) Using their USB communication tool

    If A -> Confirm that your IrDA is configured properly. (i.e. try it with some other IrDA device like
    a palm pilot etc.) Many PCs have IrDA sensors that aren't hooked up.

    If B -> Contact Polar Customer support

    If C -> Make sure you have installed the software update from Polar to the latest version of Polar
    Precision, try again, then see "If B"

    Erik

    "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    here is why I replaced my USB with a serial version of the IR interface:

    From polar customer service:

    Dear Sir,

    Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
    found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
    compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
    The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
    supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
    controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
    motherboard circuit.

    To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
    months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

    To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
    Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
    modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

    For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
    our web site in the Ask pages.

    We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

    Sincerely,

    Petri Tsokkinen

    Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  5. Thierry

    Thierry Guest

    In my case I use Polar's IR interface and I need to plug in the IR interface after the PC is
    started. Often I have to close and restart teh Polar SW to make sure the Ir interface is
    recognized. I use
    W2K.So in order: 1 start the PC, 2 plug in the IR interface 3 start the SW, if that doesn't work,
    stop the SW and unplug/replug the IR interface and then start the SW again and that should do
    it. Make sure that the IR interface is actually almost touching the 710 and lined-up with where
    the IR led in on the 710.

    Thierry

    "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  6. Tom Rodgers

    Tom Rodgers Guest

    If you are using their IR link into a serial port, which is what I use with the S710/720, you need
    to make sure the watch is already in the "COMMUNICATE" mode. This will only hold for about 15
    seconds unless it hears from the sensor, so have the software open and ready to go. It also requires
    correct positioning. What works best for me is to put the strap under the oblong IR sensor so the
    strap and the IR are aligned, with the red IR sensor near the red sensor atop the Polar watch.
    Close, about an inch, but not too close. You should actually see the light flashing in the IR
    sensor, and the watch start to show "COM".

    It's very reliable once you've learned to do it right once, much faster and accurate the older Polar
    XTrainer that set on top of the black box and used radio waves. Sometimes these just didn't work at
    all and had to be exchanged, and when they did work, were painfully slow for downloading things like
    your Ironman race.

    "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  7. Tom Rodgers

    Tom Rodgers Guest

    Sorry, that's the CONNECT mode you need to set, not the COMMUNICATE mode which I incorrectly said
    before. "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m...
    > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
    > S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    >
    > Thanks, CM

  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    As another option: I just flip the watch upside down, lay it on it's face, right in front of the IR
    receiver. No muss, no fuss, no flappy band things confusing the issue. Maybe not perfect for the
    crystal but my desktop isn't covered in sandpaper either LOL.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read -
    Groucho Marx

    "Tom Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you are using their IR link into a serial port, which is what I use
    with
    > the S710/720, you need to make sure the watch is already in the "COMMUNICATE" mode. This will only
    > hold for about 15 seconds unless it hears from the sensor, so have the software open and ready to
    > go. It also requires correct positioning. What works best for me is to put the strap under the
    > oblong IR sensor so the strap and the IR are aligned, with the
    red
    > IR sensor near the red sensor atop the Polar watch. Close, about an inch, but not too close. You
    > should actually see the light flashing in the IR sensor, and the watch start to show "COM".
    >
    > It's very reliable once you've learned to do it right once, much faster
    and
    > accurate the older Polar XTrainer that set on top of the black box and
    used
    > radio waves. Sometimes these just didn't work at all and had to be exchanged, and when they did
    > work, were painfully slow for downloading things like your Ironman race.
    >

    > "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using
    the
    > > IR link with a Polar S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
    > >
    > > Thanks, CM

  9. martinhm

    martinhm New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2003

  10. > I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos XP
    > (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a Windows XP
    > user friendly version for my S710? Martin

    I gave up on that matter. I exchanged my Polar USB-IR-Interface to a Polar
    Seriell-Port-IR-Interface. At least that works fine - even with the old software versions... And I
    have to admit that Polar didn't charge for the exchange.

    Manfred

  11. Skynet

    Skynet Guest

    I did the same thing : USB did not work with windows XP - I bought a serial port and this now works
    perfectly !!

    "Manfred Dötsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos
    > > XP (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a Windows
    > > XP user friendly version for my S710? Martin
    > >

    > I gave up on that matter. I exchanged my Polar USB-IR-Interface to a Polar
    > Seriell-Port-IR-Interface. At least that works fine - even with the old software versions... And I
    > have to admit that Polar didn't charge for the exchange.
    >
    > Manfred

  12. Gurrie

    Gurrie Guest

    Not quite correct. Some motherboards in combination don't loike the USB device.

    I got it working fine with XP and a genuine Intel MB.

    "skynet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I did the same thing : USB did not work with windows XP - I bought a
    serial
    > port and this now works perfectly !!
    >

    > "Manfred Dötsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos
    > > > XP (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a
    > > > Windows XP user
    friendly