Polar S710

Chris Macmillan

Guest
I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar S720
and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??

Thanks, CM

Go to their webite and download the latest program update. Installing that worked for me. I was
having the same problems under Win2000. Downloaded and installed the patch and now it works fine.
Mark http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FE A5F?OpenDocument -
might work...might not ;)

"Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

Chris:

How are you trying to communicate:

(A) Using built in IrDA in your PC
(B) Using their Serial communication tool
(C) Using their USB communication tool

If A -> Confirm that your IrDA is configured properly. (i.e. try it with some other IrDA device like
a palm pilot etc.) Many PCs have IrDA sensors that aren't hooked up.

If B -> Contact Polar Customer support

If C -> Make sure you have installed the software update from Polar to the latest version of Polar
Precision, try again, then see "If B"

Erik

"Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

here is why I replaced my USB with a serial version of the IR interface:

From polar customer service:

Dear Sir,

Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
motherboard circuit.

To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
our web site in the Ask pages.

We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Sincerely,

Petri Tsokkinen

Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

In my case I use Polar's IR interface and I need to plug in the IR interface after the PC is
started. Often I have to close and restart teh Polar SW to make sure the Ir interface is
recognized. I use
W2K.So in order: 1 start the PC, 2 plug in the IR interface 3 start the SW, if that doesn't work,
stop the SW and unplug/replug the IR interface and then start the SW again and that should do
it. Make sure that the IR interface is actually almost touching the 710 and lined-up with where
the IR led in on the 710.

Thierry

"Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

If you are using their IR link into a serial port, which is what I use with the S710/720, you need
to make sure the watch is already in the "COMMUNICATE" mode. This will only hold for about 15
seconds unless it hears from the sensor, so have the software open and ready to go. It also requires
correct positioning. What works best for me is to put the strap under the oblong IR sensor so the
strap and the IR are aligned, with the red IR sensor near the red sensor atop the Polar watch.
Close, about an inch, but not too close. You should actually see the light flashing in the IR
sensor, and the watch start to show "COM".

It's very reliable once you've learned to do it right once, much faster and accurate the older Polar
XTrainer that set on top of the black box and used radio waves. Sometimes these just didn't work at
all and had to be exchanged, and when they did work, were painfully slow for downloading things like
your Ironman race.

"Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

Sorry, that's the CONNECT mode you need to set, not the COMMUNICATE mode which I incorrectly said
before. "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using the IR link with a Polar
> S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
>
> Thanks, CM

As another option: I just flip the watch upside down, lay it on it's face, right in front of the IR
receiver. No muss, no fuss, no flappy band things confusing the issue. Maybe not perfect for the
crystal but my desktop isn't covered in sandpaper either LOL.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read -
Groucho Marx

"Tom Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If you are using their IR link into a serial port, which is what I use
with
> the S710/720, you need to make sure the watch is already in the "COMMUNICATE" mode. This will only
> hold for about 15 seconds unless it hears from the sensor, so have the software open and ready to
> go. It also requires correct positioning. What works best for me is to put the strap under the
> oblong IR sensor so the strap and the IR are aligned, with the
red
> IR sensor near the red sensor atop the Polar watch. Close, about an inch, but not too close. You
> should actually see the light flashing in the IR sensor, and the watch start to show "COM".
>
> It's very reliable once you've learned to do it right once, much faster
and
> accurate the older Polar XTrainer that set on top of the black box and
used
> radio waves. Sometimes these just didn't work at all and had to be exchanged, and when they did
> work, were painfully slow for downloading things like your Ironman race.
>

> "Chris MacMillan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I cannot get this thing to communicate!! Anyone have any tips on using
the
> > IR link with a Polar S720 and Windows XP, before I put all on ebay or it goes out the window!!??
> >
> > Thanks, CM

Originally posted by Mark
here is why I replaced my USB with a serial version of the IR interface:

From polar customer service:

[...]

I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos XP (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a Windows XP user friendly version for my S710?
Martin

> I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos XP
> (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a Windows XP
> user friendly version for my S710? Martin

I gave up on that matter. I exchanged my Polar USB-IR-Interface to a Polar
Seriell-Port-IR-Interface. At least that works fine - even with the old software versions... And I
have to admit that Polar didn't charge for the exchange.

Manfred

I did the same thing : USB did not work with windows XP - I bought a serial port and this now works
perfectly !!

"Manfred Dötsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos
> > XP (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a Windows
> > XP user friendly version for my S710? Martin
> >

> I gave up on that matter. I exchanged my Polar USB-IR-Interface to a Polar
> Seriell-Port-IR-Interface. At least that works fine - even with the old software versions... And I
> have to admit that Polar didn't charge for the exchange.
>
> Manfred

Not quite correct. Some motherboards in combination don't loike the USB device.

I got it working fine with XP and a genuine Intel MB.

"skynet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did the same thing : USB did not work with windows XP - I bought a
serial
> port and this now works perfectly !!
>

> "Manfred Dötsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > I downloaded last software update (version 4.00.025 ) And still it doesn't work with my windos
> > > XP (USB attached). Are we lost forever on this matter? Or POLAR will someday come with a
> > > Windows XP user
friendly