Polar S710i IR Interface nightmare

Colonel

Apr 8, 2003
Hi all,

Today I went out and bought the Polar S710i with additional cadence sensor and IR USB Interface (not cheap) after much saving. Having read through the forum on the advantages / disadvantages of the various HRM's, and the quirks with the Polar PPP software, I thought I was well prepared for the acquisition and installation. WRONG

I did all the right things. I downloaded the latest patch for the PPP software. I made sure that the interface wasn't connected during the installation of the software and the patch. I made sure that the settings in the software were right for a W2000 system with USB connection. I made sure that the device was working properly in the device manager. I made sure that the watch was in the connect mode when trying to get the computer to talk to the watch. No dice......

The Polar Uplink function works fine - I can get information from the computer to the watch (monitor) OK, but cannot get the IR thingy to work, and hence cannot upload exercise files from the watch back to the computer to track / monitor etc my training.

I am more than a little peeved at the moment, :mad: and am hoping that I am doing something simple wrong, and that one of you can help me out here. Any assistance would be fantastic.......... :D

Have a look at the Polar Australia forums on www.pursuit-performance.com.au -- there are a lot of threads there about the USB IR thingy.

I have the serial IR box so can't help you much with what's wrong.

Thanks,

I have checked the .fi and .au polar sites, read all the info, emailed the POLAR gods, and thought for good measure I would post on the forum to see if anyone else had already found a fix.

I am waiting for a return from POLAR, but in the meantime, will do a full uninstall, then re-install in different configurations to see what happens. If I have any joy I'll let you know. How do you find the software? Do you use it for more than cycling (ie keeping track of other fitness related activities - running, weights etc?) I am dead keen to use it, but as yet am only getting more and more frustrated...........

The software is fantastic.. it more than makes up for the sometimes dodgy way the hardware does some things.

I use it mainly for cycling, but usually keep a record of anything exertive I do on it. The way it automatically updates the training diary and related statistics, it's very easy to track everything you do.

Thanks for that. I went for a decent ride this morning (in the rain no less) and have to make do with putting the basic information in manually until I have the fix worked out. I am looking forward to having the ability to track everything I do (fitness - wise) as I am trying to improve my basic fitness and really concentrate on the cycling aspect. I hope to hear from Polar soon........

Colonel,

It sounds like you've done all the right things. I have XP not 2000 and occasionally the IR doesn't connect. I have to exit the program, unplug the IR USB beast, plug it back in, then start the program again and it usually works.

In device manager does it list as a PolarUSB Device? Is there a Polar USB Interface device listed in the subtree?

Buzz

RoadHazzardBuzz,

I have done all that you suggested - still no joy. The device manager shows it as a Polar USB device, with the subtree item as well.

I got an email back from the mental giants at Polar, with a link to the web site on the USB FAQ (after I had explained in my original email that I had already been there).........

The only thing I can put it down to is as specified in the link to the polar site, my system has an "OpenHCD USB Host Controller" not the specified Universal controller. This may be the problem? I have installed all of the latest patches from Microsoft, and the latest Service Pack (SP4 for Windows 2000).

Aaaaannnyyhhhoooooooo, emailed back with specifically what my problems are, and hopefully they will get back to me shortly. Fingers crossed.