Polar S720i as a bikecomputer?

DevilMan

Oct 23, 2002
In the very near future i will be putting together a very nice new bike (well, my LBS is :) ).<br /><br />On my old bike i now use a Sigma 1400 computer, and a Polar M52 heartrate monitor.<br /><br />As i want to buy a more 'serious' heartratemonitor (Polar S720i), which has build-in bikecomputer options like distance and speed, i'm wondering if these options can measure up with the Sigma 1400, and thus i could replace both the Sigma 1400 and Polar M52 for a Polar S720i?<br /><br />Or is the better option to still use a seperate bikecomputer ?

I would say go for the 720<br /><br />i've got the S610 which i bought before i got my bike and i am kicking myself now because i have to write notes about distance and stuff into my training log where the 720 would put it all in one graph for me<br /><br />if you feel the 720 is not 100% accurate then you could run the separate computer to check but i haven't heard any complaints about the 720<br /><br />anyone want to buy my S610 so i can upgrade?

I've got an S710 and it's great. I use it as a bike computer with speed and cadence sensors attached. The only gripe I have in terms of cyclocomputer function is the update rate of the information -- it doesn't update the speed info as quickly as my old Cateye did (the Polar updates every second or so.)<br /><br />The integration of bike and HRM data make up for this annoyance though! As duckwah suggested, it takes all the work out of keeping a training log (not just for cycling but any sport you do, as you can also use it as a normal HRM without cycling functions.)<br /><br />The masses of data it collects (I have mine sampling HR/speed/cadence/altitude every 5 seconds, and the memory lasts for about 9 hours!) also make for some serious data analysis to take place once back on your PC, such as making route altitude profiles, seeing how much you improve on &quot;that&quot; section of terrain over time, etc.<br /><br />Yes, I am a data junkie, I'm of the school that says that without precision measurement, it's difficult to effectively improve at what it is you want to do. ;)

Yes, the S710 or 720 is the way to go. (Just the d**n price!) Only hassles I have with it is that if on a long ride you take a break and move away from the bike for a few minutes the HRM (on the bike) loses the heart beat and switches off (to save the battery). Unfortunately you cannot restart it to continue recording the profile etc so you end with TWO seperate rides.<br />I found my old Cateye Micro in the garage from some 18 years or so ago. I use that to display cadence and distance and the S710 to show avg speed, elapsed time and % HRmax. The old Micro gives a double check on distance.<br />I still use the free CrossTrak training log. Despite what it says, you CAN transfer HR data indirectly from the S710 HR files (.hrm) into CrossTrak. The CrossTrak search function is quite awesome to find and compare ride data. I have been so impressed that I purchased their Premium version. Big disappointment as the free version does just about everything.

Well, to be able to collect those 'masses of data' is what started me thinking about getting a better HRM, i bought the M52 to aid in losing weight, which worked pretty good (lost 42kg ;-) ), but now as i've reached that goal my new goal is getter faster :)<br /><br />And i think being able to collect and analyse the riding data will help me in getter faster..<br /><br />And as for the HRM switching off after being away more than 5 mins, this also happened a couple of times with my current HRM, but that's no real hassle, after 'destroying' your data a couple of times this way, i now just take it of the bike when i'm even moving a couple of meters from the bike :)<br /><br />Now i all need is somebory to buy the M52 from me :)<br />

the other major advantage of the 720 is the ability to set time or recover based intervals which is important if you are aiming to push your speed up

I started with a Polar M52 and then got the S720i. The first words I hear are usually: &quot;It costs to much!&quot;, but I found that the Polar is now as much part of my cycling as my helmet ;).<br /><br />I use the Polar for everything. Personally I don't put it on the HB, but prefer to wear it on my wrist as I usually look at my HR when pushing hard (uphills). I ride according to time and the S720 is ideal as it gives you 3 timers (I use 1 for warmup and 2 for ridetime/2)and a recovery timer. It also gives you an interval option which is great.<br /><br />The S720 comes with the standard Polar Precision software which is a great tool. I've tried EVERYTHING, and except for custom software (with which I am still busy), you won't find a better link between the Polar and software.<br /><br />The only problem I found with the 720 is the beeping sound that is usually made when you are out of your zones. I use all the bike options (except power which is as yet unavailable and too bloody expensive) and because of this, the &quot;beeping&quot; is not available.<br /><br />DevilMan, if you've got the bucks, the Polar is worth every cent.

A Polar s720 will be the best money you can spend on your bike, you'll use it once and wonder how you have ever coped without it ;) <br /><br />I've only ever used the software that comes with the HRM, has anyone used anything else? if so where can we download it?<br /><br />cheers

Well, i don't think the S720i costs too much, it just costs a lot ;-)<br /><br />I guess i'll be getting an S720i very soon, including a cadense sensor...<br /><br />About the beeping sound, isn't possible to switch the sound off? I know that with the M52 this is surely possible...<br /><br />One question about the included software, i have a notebook which i will be using to transfer the data from the HRM, and also do some analysis on this machine.<br /><br />But i also have a normal PC on which i would like to use the polar software (and the saved data from the watch)..<br /><br />Is it possible to have the software on two machine's and 'share' the data? (located on a network share perhaps?)

About the beeping sound, isn't possible to switch the sound off?
<br />The beeping sound is not available if you use the cadence sensor and speed sensor on the S720. The option doesn't exists BUT, if you do run/swim, etc. with the 720, you will be able to switch the beep on (available when no bike options are used).<br /><br />
Is it possible to have the software on two machine's and 'share' the data? (located on a network share perhaps?)
<br />Yes, you can change the data location of the Polar software. However, I don't know if you will have to map the network drive or if the software will pick up a network path i.e. &quot;\\Server\C:\PolarData\xxxxxx&quot;

[quote author=DevilMan link=board=20;threadid=2711;start=0#23321 date=1038995594]<br />About the beeping sound, isn't possible to switch the sound off? I know that with the M52 this is surely possible...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I have an S710 with cadence sensor, not S720, and I can switch the beep on or off, if my heart rate is outside my target zone. I can toggle the beep on or off by pressing the top left button down for a second or two. Perhaps try it with the S720i?<br /><br />[quote author=Steve link=board=20;threadid=2711;start=0#23320 date=1038994821]<br />I've only ever used the software that comes with the HRM, has anyone used anything else? if so where can we download it?<br />[/quote]<br />By registering on www.polar.fi, you can receive regular emails whenever they update their software, prompting you to download the latest version. (Latest today for the S710: &quot;You can download the latest version # 3.03.014 of 5 Dec 2002 (1 554 Kb) from http://www.polar.fi/support. From the product drop down selection, choose Polar SW updates.&quot;) The update emails detail the new functionality that has been included. This is the same as provided with the HRM - just bugs corrected and some additional features added as they develop them.<br /><br />I love my polar!<br />

I go with everything said here about the S710/720. As for the beeping when you get old you don't hear it anyway! ;D Even took mine back to Polar thinking it was faulty!!! :-[

Well guys, i finally got a Polar S720i today! ;-)<br /><br />Haven't had a change to test it while riding (still need to mount to speed and cadence sensor tommorow)..<br /><br />One thing i'm wondering about is the backlight... i thought i read somewhere that you could switch (and keep) on the backlight during your (evening) excercise ..<br /><br />Anybody know if this is true?<br /><br />Ronnie: you mentioned something about registering on the website, i've been looking on the website, but couldn't find anything about registering??<br />

[quote author=DevilMan link=board=20;threadid=2711;start=0#msg23825 date=1041106537]<br />Well guys, i finally got a Polar S720i today! ;-)<br /><br />Haven't had a change to test it while riding (still need to mount to speed and cadence sensor tommorow)..<br /><br />One thing i'm wondering about is the backlight... i thought i read somewhere that you could switch (and keep) on the backlight during your (evening) excercise ..<br /><br />Anybody know if this is true?<br /><br />Ronnie: you mentioned something about registering on the website, i've been looking on the website, but couldn't find anything about registering??<br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />Not sure about that, the light on the 710 stays on for about 5 seconds once you press the buttton, I can see how it would be handy to have it on all the time tho!<br /><br />cheers

I used my new S720i on the bike today, and i love it already ;-)<br /><br />Playing around with the graph(s) is real cool..<br /><br />But i noticed something weird, i checked the excercise info on the watch, it said my average speed was 31,6km/u and a max. speed of 41.5km/u<br /><br />When i looked at the information on the computer graph it said the average speed was 31.8km/u and the max. speed 41,4km/u<br /><br />Anybody know why there is a difference between the two??<br />

One other question...<br /><br />Is there a way in the PPP 3.0 software to change the curve properties (like colors, scales etc), and have it use these settings as default?<br /><br />Every time i restart the program the settings are reset back to 'normal' :-\<br /><br />Well, after having found a PDF file of the manual i found out how to save those settings..<br /><br />What i didn't find was about the reports... there are five reports, which you can alter if you want, but is it possible to create more reports? I didn't see anything about adding a report?<br />

[quote author=DevilMan link=board=20;threadid=2711;start=0#msg23831 date=1041160954]When i looked at the information on the computer graph it said the average speed was 31.8km/u and the max. speed 41,4km/u<br /><br />Anybody know why there is a difference between the two??[/quote]<br />I believe the difference is because the PPP software can only calculate statistics on the sampling intervals (you have the watch set to 5 second intervals, right?), and it wasn't &quot;actually there&quot; to base it on instantaneous data. So therefore there's going to be some minor discrepancies.<br /><br />
What i didn't find was about the reports... there are five reports, which you can alter if you want, but is it possible to create more reports? I didn't see anything about adding a report?
<br />You can only make 5 custom reports .. basically you have to redefine the existing ones to what you want. (The way to make those changes permanent is like the colour settings etc. -- you have to check that option (I forget its name) in the dialog box)

Yep a maximum of 5 graphs it is. Really frustrating ???<br />Come on Polar we want more !<br /><br /><br />Leon

I was entering my 'old' data from the excel sheet i use(d) before i got the new S720i, and now have a nice full diary..<br /><br />But in the excel sheet i also had a column for the average speed during my trips... Is there a way to add this information to the excercises in the PPP software, so i can create a report with this (like i had in the excel sheet)?<br />

TO address a few questions:<br /><br />If your 710 stops and you restart it, you are simply creating an additional file. You will not lose data. You can maintain separate files or use a third party utility to combine them.<br /><br />Another trick that I use is that I have my 710 on a velcro mount, and I stop the watch and keep it with me while I stop. As long as there is some kind of input to the watch, it will not end the file.<br /><br />Another person asked about saving changes made in graphs. TO do this, go to the graph and right clivk on it. A box will offer options. Choose &quot;Report Properties&quot; and then the &quot;Advanced&quot; tab. Near the bottom on the left side is a check box to save settings on exit. All settings will be saved inluding dates, so be prepared to change the date to something like &quot;last X weeks&quot; or something rather than a specific date or you will go nuts wondering why your reports keep going to the same date that get's further and further from your current date as the days pass.<br /><br />The sensors have 3 power settings for large frames but are directional. Mount the hardware as the diagrams suggest. <br /><br />That is all I can think of for now. I use the program for hours each day so I know quite a bit about its use. One last think for now. Don't load the latest patch, as it has a bug that changes zero mileage workouts (from a stationary bike or a run) to the highest value mileage from a bike ride of the same day. You can fix it manuallly but it is a pain if you cross train. THe buggy patch is 3.03.014. If you can get your hands on any previous patches, they are worth it. I have an archive of all of them but will not promise to provide them. I am trying to get Polar to fix it! I thought about attaching it but it they are all over 1mb and this site only allows 100k or smaller.<br /><br />