Polar s720i or HAC4+

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug Welzel, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Doug Welzel

    Doug Welzel Guest

    I'm trying to decide between these two models units for my next hrm/bike computer. They look pretty
    similar, which each have a unique strength or two, but one doesn't stand out as being clearly
    superior. Does anyone have a particular opinion one way or the other?

    Tags:

  2. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I haven't used the Polar but I have a HAC4. It's very easy to operate, and I haven't had to refer to
    the manual since I first got it. The PC interface software is also quite easy to use. I was a bit
    leery of the wireless pickup, having had two Sigma wireless pickups fail on me, but I've had no
    problems with it in about two years other than needing to change the battery a few months ago. In
    fact I bought a second wireless pickup for a second bike and swap the head unit between the two
    bikes. If I needed another HAC4 I would have no hesitation in getting one.

    Also, with the HAC4 the battery in the chest belt transmitter is also user-replaceable.

    Nick

    "Doug Welzel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to decide between these two models units for my next hrm/bike computer. They look
    > pretty similar, which each have a unique strength or two, but one doesn't stand out as being
    > clearly superior. Does anyone have a particular opinion one way or the other?

  3. cycleboy

    cycleboy Guest

    I have no experience with the Polar s720i but I used a Polar Vantage NV + Ciclosport Ciclomaster for the last 6 years. Replaced them with the HAC4+ and am quite pleased. The HAC4 does not seem to be as affected by high voltage power lines as my Polar was. Also, the computer interface for the HAC4 transfers much more reliably than my Polar. Also, chest transmitter has user replaceable battery.

    Don't know which if any of these 'improvements' have been added to Polar line.

    I went with Ciclosport because my old Ciclomaster (got in '88) was built like a tank and never failed even after two river dunkings on my mountain bike. The elevation function is quite accurate. I compared it to topo maps and it was only off by a couple of feet in a 500' foot climb.

    Good luck with whatever you choose.

  4. Doug Welzel wrote:
    > I'm trying to decide between these two models units for my next hrm/bike computer. They look
    > pretty similar, which each have a unique strength or two, but one doesn't stand out as being
    > clearly superior. Does anyone have a particular opinion one way or the other?

    You didn't get many replies on this question and I suspect it is because everybody is really tired
    of answering it. Personally I prefer the Polar but I am also a bit worn out explaining why. I
    suggest you Google this since it has been discussed many many times. I don't think a question in a
    NG should be answered like this but sometimes some subjects just appear too many times.

    --
    Perre

  5. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    apparently there is a 'better' hrm than the s720 coming out. I use quotes as the only differences
    are a carbon fibre look casing and the ability to interface with only once model of nokia phone (and
    none of the hoards of other similarly speced phones both from Nokia and other manufacturers.

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Welzel wrote:
    > > I'm trying to decide between these two models units for my next hrm/bike computer. They look
    > > pretty similar, which each have a unique strength or two, but one doesn't stand out as being
    > > clearly superior. Does anyone have a particular opinion one way or the other?
    >
    > You didn't get many replies on this question and I suspect it is because everybody is really tired
    > of answering it. Personally I prefer the Polar
    but
    > I am also a bit worn out explaining why. I suggest you Google this since it has been discussed
    > many many times. I don't think a question in a NG should be answered like this but sometimes some
    > subjects just appear too many times.
    >
    > --
    > Perre
    >
    > You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > apparently there is a 'better' hrm than the s720 coming out. I use quotes as the only differences
    > are a carbon fibre look casing and the ability to interface with only once model of nokia phone
    > (and none of the hoards of other similarly speced phones both from Nokia and other manufacturers.

    It's called (drumroll) the S725. It is meant to be compatible with one of the Nokia phones. Can't
    work out how to get the IR link thingy to interface with the HRM though. The yellow light blinks
    and everything, and the software driver is supposedly ok, but the software can't communicate with
    the HRM. I've gone through the FAQ on Polar's site, but it doesn't seem to help. I'll try their
    help desk.

    Jeff