Polar S720i rear mount

markwill

Jul 11, 2004
A buddy of mine has enticed me to pay the extra bucks to get a Polar S720i. I am very interested, especially since he has rear mounted his so that he can use it for indoor training (alternatively, he'd need a REALLY big living room!!!). Anyway, although he's had good success (hasn't missed a beat even though it's more than the 50cm from the sensor that is recommended) I wanted to know if anyone else here has had any experience/problems with such a setup. Just want an extra piece of mind before I splash out $230 or so on eBay (or less if anyone has any pointers!!!).

Mark

I use the same setup. Everything works off the rear wheel so I can use it indoors. Works PERFECT. I also use the Power unit. Not as accurate as PowerTap, but serves the purpose...especially on the road.

I have the Polar speed sensor for my MTB mounted on the rear wheel because a Lefty front fork doesn't really give you any other option.

I have no trouble with the sensor being picked up; even if you do, you can open the sensor up (as if you were changing the battery) and flip a wire jumper around that will put it onto "high power" mode, so it transmits further.

I also use the sensor on the rear wheel and it works fine, never had any problems.

Jeff

I went through the process this winter when I set up for indoor training. I asked Polar about it and they were actually very responsive. They sent a detailed email and included an attachment which shows the proper pin placement on the sensor to boost the power output. The text of the email follows. I'd be happy to forward the entire email with the attachment if you want to email me at [email protected]

Dear Nick,

The Speed Sensor range can be adjusted by opening the cover and changing the
position of the plug inside. See the attached instructions.

Please check the following things first:

1.1 The sensor is working properly

The indicator light (LED) inside the sensor lights up when the magnet
passes the sensor.
This happens 50 times at the beginning of the ride, after which the light
turns off while the sensor continues operating.

1.2 Check that magnet, sensor and receiver are mounted as directed in the user's
manual.

The angle between the sensor and the receiver has an effect on the transmission
range and it should be as close to 90 degrees as possible.

In many bikes the wheel is so close to the fork that the optimal angle cannot be
achieved, however, an adequate range can be achieved by adjusting the range
setting in the sensor and the angle between the sensor and the receiver.

By way of a practical tip please turn the alarm sound off when you are in the
biking mode, in some circumstances the sound may give abnormal high-speed
readings.

2. Transmission range adjustment

If these basic settings are correct and the problem is not solved, the
transmission range can be adjusted. There are three possible settings for the
transmission range in the sensor: short, medium and long.

We strongly recommend that you send the sensor to an authorised Polar Service
Center, where the unit is tested for water resistance after adjustment. Water
resistance cannot be guaranteed after an unauthorised service.

If you wish to adjust the sensor by yourself, follow the attached instructions
carefully and note that the warranty does not cover damage or consequential
damage caused by service not carried out by an authorised service center of
Polar Electro.

(See attached file: TRANSMISSION RANGE ADJUSTMENT.doc)

If you would like to return your unit for service please return your sensor plus
$2.95 for return shipping and handling to:

Polar Electro Inc.
370 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
Attn: Technical Service

Please include your name, address and daytime phone number in the event we need
to contact you.

It is recommended you return your unit in a traceable manner such as UPS Ground
or Insured US Mail.

This is all pretty good news about the rear mount. So, I think I have settled on the Polar S720i as the one I want (can't see anything that offers this level of features). Now, next step is to find a good deal :) The best I have found so far is $230 on eBay but, frankly, I think I want to go with an authorized Polar dealer. The best I have found there is Performance Bike ($260). Always interested where I might find a better deal though :)

Mark

don't forget to use a coupon when you order from performance (plus get your team performance points)

caligurl said:
don't forget to use a coupon when you order from performance (plus get your team performance points)
Where can I get the coupon? I have some points (from the bike purchase itself) but don't know about the coupon.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

rek said:
I have the Polar speed sensor for my MTB mounted on the rear wheel because a Lefty front fork doesn't really give you any other option.

I have no trouble with the sensor being picked up; even if you do, you can open the sensor up (as if you were changing the battery) and flip a wire jumper around that will put it onto "high power" mode, so it transmits further.

I'd love to see a schematic on that upgrade. Is there one anywhere?

I'm running my speed off the front, would like to move it to the back, maybe share a magent with the regular bike computer.

I took my cadence sensor apart and shot some photos of the top and bottom, although I have no idea which would be top and which would be bottom. I put random letters and arrows on the photos where I "THINK" we are talking about an item, and to make it easier for someone else to describe a situation.

This information was clipped from "reks" link. I have no idea how accurate it is, you are on your own as to the accuracy of the information. :)

"...Inside, the jumper switches between high, medium and low power. With the jumper in the position closest to the edge of the board power is maxiumun, in the other position medium, and removed is low power..."

This is topical is timely for me because I have had a beastly time getting the cadence sensor to work and get a reading. Then when I did, it worked for about 20 hours, and then quit. I'm hoping it's the battery that has died.

Based on the information in the link, it would appear that mine is set for medium. (if I read it correctly, based on the position of what I believe is the jumper (A) and it's location on the pins labled 1-2-3)

Hope this helps.

stormer94 said:
Replaced the battery, mines back to functional, left the jumper where it was.
i just got it and i love it already!
how do u set up the alt and temp thou?!