Polar S720i USB Infrared Interface

Scottwk

Guest
Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de- and
re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and USB
is supposed to be easier!

If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.

W Scott [email protected]

I don't know about teh Polar IR unit but myself and a couple friends have had great success with
regular ol IR interfaces (non-Polar) ones.

Are you using a hub? It might be your computer? Maybe a defective IR unit?

>Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de- and
>re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and USB
>is supposed to be easier!
>
>If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.
>
>W Scott [email protected]

I had problems with the USB on my laptop. No problems on the desktop.

Tom

"scottwk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de-
> and re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and
> USB is supposed to be easier!
>
> If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.
>
> W Scott [email protected]

If you are having problems with the laptop then make sure that the watch and interface thing is out
of laptop's infrared port. That screwed things up for me in the beginning.

cheers

Bob

"Tom G" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
> I had problems with the USB on my laptop. No problems on the desktop.
>
> Tom
>
> "scottwk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de-
> > and re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no
> > luck...and USB is supposed to be easier!
> >
> > If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.
> >
> > W Scott [email protected]

Here is the answer I got, at last, after several emails to Polar:

Dear Sir,

Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
motherboard circuit.

To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
our web site in the Ask pages.

We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Sincerely,

Petri Tsokkinen

Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

Hope this helps.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "scottwk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de-
> and re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and
> USB is supposed to be easier!
>
> If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.
>
> W Scott [email protected]

Originally posted by Scottwk
Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de- and
re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and USB
is supposed to be easier!

If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.

W Scott [email protected]

I had similar problems with mine. I went to Polars website and downloaded the latest software rev and that took care of it. IR interface works great now. Now if I could only understand the whole manual:mad:

Hi Scott, I did not have any problems hooking up the IR connection to my PC, however, my watch up
and died about four months after I bought it. The S720i screen started to dim until the digits were
totally unreadable. This is the second Polar watch that I have had do this, and I will never spend
an additional dime on any of their products no matter what they claim to do. I will attempt to send
back to manufacturer for replacement, but I still think thier products are trash.

Good luck with your watch, Charles "melvyng" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scottwk wrote:
> > Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface
> > work properly? I've de- and re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions
> > verbatim, but still no luck...and USB is supposed
> > be easier! If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out. W Scott
> > [email protected]
>

> I had similar problems with mine. I went to Polars website and downloaded the latest software rev
> and that took care of it. IR interface works great now. Now if I could only understand the whole
> manual:mad:

Originally posted by Scottwk
Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface to work properly? I've de- and
re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions verbatim, but still no luck...and USB
is supposed to be easier!

If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out.

W Scott [email protected]

If you look at my previous post in this thread, you will see Polar's explanation of your problems.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Brian Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scottwk wrote:
> > Has anyone except me had problems getting the infrared USB interface
> > work properly? I've de- and re-installed multiple times, followed the polar instructions
> > verbatim, but still no luck...and USB is supposed
> > be easier! If anyone has experienced problems and has solved them, please help me out. W Scott
> > [email protected]
>
> I also cannot get my polar ir to work with my xp operating system. Any ideas?
>

> --

Hi Brian, Have the same watch - HR monitor, had same problems when I first bought it. Once you load
the Polar software, find the software prefrences window, then ensure the IR communications port drop
down menue is set to "IrDA". This should allow you to connect using Windows XP and your 720i via
your IR mechanism on your computer. Use your buttons on the right side of the watch as you are
looing at the watch and scroll to the connect menu. Once your watch says connect at the top, make
sure the IR plastic portion of the watch (the top) is pointed close to your computer's IR reciever.
Your watch should connect to the computer at this point. Since I started using my watch, it has died
and the screen no longer shows any digits. I intent to send this piece of trash back to Polar, and
get a replacement, but have not got around to it yet. I am sure it is a good watch, if it works, but
this is the second Polar I have had this happen to. I will never again waste my money on this brand
of HR - Watch.

Good luck, Charles

Please let me know if you require further assistance. "Brian Brown" <[email protected]>