Polar Software (s720i) vs Garmin Software (Edge 305)

jvanv8

Nov 14, 2006
I am considering the Polar S720i or the Garmin Edge 305 for a good HR/Cyclometer that I can analyze the data on a computer. I would like to know how people like the software, especially if you have tried both.

I like the auto-mapping features and ability to graph HR, altitude, speed, etc with the Edge 305 but the Polar (which also has altitude, hr, speed, etc) seems to have better software (from what I have heard) and it can also be used while riding indoors on the trainer.

I have both a Mac and PC. I would rather use the Mac but I can use the PC if there is no other option (the Polar won't download to Mac... without additional Virtual PC software and clumsy hardware configurations)

Is the Garmin software as good as the Polar software? Any 3rd party applications that are better than either Garmin's or Polar's?

Thanks
John

I asked a similar question in another thread. i got recommendations for the Polar but none for Garmin. have not bought either yet.

jvanv8 said:
I am considering the Polar S720i or the Garmin Edge 305 for a good HR/Cyclometer that I can analyze the data on a computer. I would like to know how people like the software, especially if you have tried both.

I like the auto-mapping features and ability to graph HR, altitude, speed, etc with the Edge 305 but the Polar (which also has altitude, hr, speed, etc) seems to have better software (from what I have heard) and it can also be used while riding indoors on the trainer.

I have both a Mac and PC. I would rather use the Mac but I can use the PC if there is no other option (the Polar won't download to Mac... without additional Virtual PC software and clumsy hardware configurations)

Is the Garmin software as good as the Polar software? Any 3rd party applications that are better than either Garmin's or Polar's?

Thanks
John

Go with the Polar.. Try a free 30 day trial of the Protrainer SW at www.Polar.fi.. Ths S720i will come with the PPP sw but next January you will be able to upgrade to the PPT... Well worth it

Unforunatelly i have the 725sx which i bought first and the 305 edge.If i had the opportunity i would by the 305. It has as extra the gps but not thermometer.The software seems the same for an amateur like me ,but the most impressive feature is the virtual partner on the edge305!!!! u should try it to see what i mean :eek: . and also you can visit the www.motionbased.com to see why i would prefer the 305.

was reading its manual on line.

does it record total distance, average speed and max speed (my basic cateye does). also, will it record total feet climbed in a ride?

from the web site, it seemed that it did not, but gave lots of cardio based functions instead.

impakt said:
Go with the Polar.. Try a free 30 day trial of the Protrainer SW at www.Polar.fi.. Ths S720i will come with the PPP sw but next January you will be able to upgrade to the PPT... Well worth it

If you are referring to the s720i, yes it does have altitude/ascent functions
li rider said:

does it record total distance, average speed and max speed (my basic cateye does). also, will it record total feet climbed in a ride?

from the web site, it seemed that it did not, but gave lots of cardio based functions instead.

And the 305 too.You can read these from the training center software.

li rider said:

The S725i nad S725x does all the above, and there's an optional cadence sensor if you want that.

I have and use both, IMHO the pc software for both is very poor, and would expect a competent programmer to produce better over a weekend between household chores and a long game of bingo.

Some examples: the Garmin installs in the root of the C: drive not in Program Files, if there are duff records in the downloaded data it is a case of hacking about to remove them, the graphs autoscale but this cannot be switched off which means if there's a duff record that said you were doing 500kph you get a flat line with a spike on it.

And don't get me started on the other one...

But at least you can get your data out in XML format, then with a little bit of XSLT, Robert's your mothers brother...

Been using the Polar Precision Performance software. Just downloaded the trial version of Polar Protrainer. Looks like the same software with slightly changed GUI (buttons are a little prettier).

Other than the exercize planner, are there any new features. I hate both. Everytime I scroll in the calender it has to re-draw itself like ten times and it makes me sea sick.

Orcanova said:
Been using the Polar Precision Performance software. Just downloaded the trial version of Polar Protrainer. Looks like the same software with slightly changed GUI (buttons are a little prettier).

Other than the exercize planner, are there any new features. I hate both. Everytime I scroll in the calender it has to re-draw itself like ten times and it makes me sea sick.
Go to you display properties on your computer and change the hardware acceleration

I've switched from Polar CS200 cad to Garmin. There really is no comparison, the Garmin is a far, far better bike computer, and a more comfortable HRM.
Polar quality is simply awful-they have good customer sevice, but the components are unreliable, and very poor transmitters.

The 305 sensor is a single, small unit that measures speed and cadence, so you can use it with a trainer.

Much greater memory, 99 rides, and USB link, not that antique sonic or IR uplink.

Rechargable li ion.

You can install the Garmin software anywhere you want, not just the C drive.

Then, there's things like: custom display settings, and the whole GPS functionality, plus its now far less expensive.

Output paths to Google Earth, and directions for new routes by GPS, there's nothing like this on any other bike computer.

Orcanova said:

I spoke to a Polar rep who fixed this annoying problem for me is less than 5 minutes. Right click on your desk top, click on properties/settings/advanced/troubleshoot. Look at the Hardware Acceleration slider; it's probably set to "Full." Slide it back toward "None" rechecking the Polar S/W incrementally until the flickering subsides. I am set a 1 click up from no acceleration and the software starts up properly with no flickering.