Polar speed sensor giving fast readings

Jason Spaceman

Guest
I have a Polar s720i HRM with the speed sensor and cadence sensor
mounted on my road bike. For the past week I notice that I seem to be
getting faster than normal speed readings. Although I wish this was a
sign of improved performance on my part, I seriously doubt I could be
riding that fast, :) (for example, it says I'm doing 50km/h when I
know there is no way I could be going that fast, especially on a
climb).

I haven't altered my wheel circumference settings, and I know the
wrist unit is working fine because I also use it with my mountain
bike, which has its own speed sensor, and I get normal readings from
that. I realise that with wireless devices such as this you get the
occasional fast reading, especially when riding under power lines; but
these fast readings seem to be happening during my entire bike ride.

Is this a sign that the speed sensor's battery is dying? Or some
other bigger problem?

J. Spaceman

Jason Spaceman wrote:
> I have a Polar s720i HRM with the speed sensor and cadence sensor
> mounted on my road bike. For the past week I notice that I seem to be
> getting faster than normal speed readings. Although I wish this was a
> sign of improved performance on my part, I seriously doubt I could be
> riding that fast, :) (for example, it says I'm doing 50km/h when I
> know there is no way I could be going that fast, especially on a
> climb).
>
> I haven't altered my wheel circumference settings, and I know the
> wrist unit is working fine because I also use it with my mountain
> bike, which has its own speed sensor, and I get normal readings from
> that. I realise that with wireless devices such as this you get the
> occasional fast reading, especially when riding under power lines; but
> these fast readings seem to be happening during my entire bike ride.
>
> Is this a sign that the speed sensor's battery is dying? Or some
> other bigger problem?

> J. Spaceman

I've had that much trouble with wireless systems I don't use them
anymore and I've given away the ones I had. I now use a Garmin GPS.

Dorfus.

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>> I have a Polar s720i HRM with the speed sensor and cadence sensor
>> mounted on my road bike.

>> Is this a sign that the speed sensor's battery is dying? Or some
>> other bigger problem?

I would not think it would be the battery (or, either of the two) dying.
That would more likely lead to slower-than-real speed readings, and
other flakiness.

> I've had that much trouble with wireless systems I don't use them
> anymore and I've given away the ones I had. I now use a Garmin GPS.

Some wireless computers are better than others. In my experience, the
cheaper ones will pick up anything, and are unreliable to the point of
being worthless.

My current ones, Planet Bike Aero, are much more reasonable. Yes, they
will occasionally report max ride speeds of 67mph (especially hard to
believe on my fixed gear), but aside from that the mileage, speed, and
average speed are pretty accurate.

I did have one experience of it continuing to read impossible speeds,
that I finally figured out. I had leaned the bike against a wall, in
which was a window displaying a neon "Open" sign. Once I moved the bike
away from the sign, the 50+mph readings stopped.

--

David L. Johnson

The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the speed of
our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living, and never halted
to inquire about the prostrate figure which fell as its victim.
-- Warren G. Harding

David L. Johnson wrote:
> Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
>> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>>> I have a Polar s720i HRM with the speed sensor and cadence sensor
>>> mounted on my road bike.

>>> Is this a sign that the speed sensor's battery is dying? Or some
>>> other bigger problem?

> I would not think it would be the battery (or, either of the two) dying.
> That would more likely lead to slower-than-real speed readings, and
> other flakiness.
>>
>> I've had that much trouble with wireless systems I don't use them
>> anymore and I've given away the ones I had. I now use a Garmin GPS.

> Some wireless computers are better than others. In my experience, the
> cheaper ones will pick up anything, and are unreliable to the point of
> being worthless.
>
> My current ones, Planet Bike Aero, are much more reasonable. Yes, they
> will occasionally report max ride speeds of 67mph (especially hard to
> believe on my fixed gear), but aside from that the mileage, speed, and
> average speed are pretty accurate.
>
> I did have one experience of it continuing to read impossible speeds,
> that I finally figured out. I had leaned the bike against a wall, in
> which was a window displaying a neon "Open" sign. Once I moved the bike
> away from the sign, the 50+mph readings stopped.

Lucky you weren't ticketed by a cop with radar right then!

Dorfus Dippintush wrote:
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>> I have a Polar s720i HRM with the speed sensor and cadence sensor
>> mounted on my road bike. For the past week I notice that I seem to be
>> getting faster than normal speed readings. Although I wish this was a
>> sign of improved performance on my part, I seriously doubt I could be
>> riding that fast, :) (for example, it says I'm doing 50km/h when I
>> know there is no way I could be going that fast, especially on a
>> climb).
>>
>> I haven't altered my wheel circumference settings, and I know the
>> wrist unit is working fine because I also use it with my mountain
>> bike, which has its own speed sensor, and I get normal readings from
>> that. I realise that with wireless devices such as this you get the
>> occasional fast reading, especially when riding under power lines; but
>> these fast readings seem to be happening during my entire bike ride.
>>
>> Is this a sign that the speed sensor's battery is dying? Or some
>> other bigger problem?

>> J. Spaceman

> I've had that much trouble with wireless systems I don't use them
> anymore and I've given away the ones I had. I now use a Garmin GPS.

Is that with a wire?

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)