Polar Speed Sensor - New Madone Fork?

Andrew F Martin

Guest
I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. The fork has a rather thin leading
edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
sensor for my Polar 720. The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors.com/polar_s1_speed_sensor.htm

Has anyone come up with a fix here? It is possible to use a rare-
earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
of the signal? Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:29:01 -0800 (PST), Andrew F Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've got an '08 Madone 5.5. Pro. The fork has a rather thin leading
>edge on it which does not allow for much adjustment of the speed
>sensor for my Polar 720. The speed sensor is shaped to fit on a
>round fork so it isn't very adjustable on the madone fork:
>
>http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors.com/polar_s1_speed_sensor.htm
>
>Has anyone come up with a fix here? It is possible to use a rare-
>earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
>of the signal? Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
>It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

I do not know how sharp the leading edge of your fork is but my
Specialized and my Aeirus forks are not round. I get the sensor plenty
close to the magnet. Within a few mms. Both measure about 1.75" and 1"
thick where the sensor is mounted. They both have a taper on the
leading edge. No knige edge as that would be dangerous but sort of egg
shaped.

You might want to ask your LBS if the newer Polar CS-series
transmitters work on the same frequency. Those come with two separate
fork mounts: one for rounded, and another for sharp-edged fork blades.

On Feb 15, 6:29 pm, Andrew F Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Has anyone come up with a fix here?  It is possible to use a rare-
> earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
> of the signal?  Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
> It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

Assuming it's a magnet distance to sensor issue you can homebrew a mag
holder, epoxy a magnet to a spoke, or if you prefer a commercial
solution you could try one of the Sigma "power magnets".

http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_zubehoer/powermagnet/?punkt=features

Mark

[email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 15, 6:29 pm, Andrew F Martin <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone come up with a fix here? It is possible to use a rare-
>> earth metal magnet or something on the spokes to increase the "reach"
>> of the signal? Right now the sensor is about 1cm from the magnet.
>> It's ~2mm on my other bikes.

> Assuming it's a magnet distance to sensor issue you can homebrew a mag
> holder, epoxy a magnet to a spoke, or if you prefer a commercial
> solution you could try one of the Sigma "power magnets".
>
> http://www.sigmasport.com/us/produkte/bikecomputer/topline_zubehoer/powermagnet/?punkt=features
>
> Mark

Strip out the sensor part, pack some cardboard under it and tape it up.
It'll be more secure and more aero.

Elmo