Polar USB IR installation help

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Scott Lindner, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a Windows 2000 machine?

    Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
    have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm
    getting fairly upset with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided by
    Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
    how to make it work?

    My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver installation program. As soon as I
    unplug the USB IR device the software recovers. But what good is an installed driver if it only runs
    when the device is unplugged? :)

    Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Andre

    Andre Guest

    I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you plan to use the setup, boot
    into 98, install it in 98.

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Scott
    Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
    Windows
    > 2000 machine?
    >
    > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
    > have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install.
    > I'm getting fairly
    upset
    > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided
    by
    > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
    > how to make it work?
    >
    > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
    installation
    > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
    But
    > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
    >
    > Scott

  3. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:50:02 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a Windows 2000 machine?
    >
    >Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
    >have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm
    >getting fairly upset with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided by
    >Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
    >how to make it work?
    >
    >My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver installation program. As soon as I
    >unplug the USB IR device the software recovers. But what good is an installed driver if it only
    >runs when the device is unplugged? :)
    >
    >Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
    >
    >Scott

    Have you tried installing the drivers without the device being attached. I'm running mine on
    a windows 2000 box and it works fine. However the system will not boot with the IR device
    installed. I can't remeber if I had the device plugged in or not during installation. I'm
    just wondering if you can install the drivers, you'll probably get a "device not found"
    error of some sort, and then hook up the device later. Also I know I've had problems in teh
    past with some USB device simply locking the system up and not installing. I think there has
    been similar problems with the Polar IR device, you may want to contact Polar.

    ~Matt

  4. Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a
    solution that way.

    What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
    lot of work but I got it working long ago. I need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it
    working the way it should, just install the software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today
    I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very
    same Windows 2000 installation that I used before. Just on different hardware.

    Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
    foever. :)

    Cheers Scott

    "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you plan to use the setup, boot
    > into 98, install it in 98.
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------
    > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Scott
    > Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
    > Windows
    > > 2000 machine?
    > >
    > > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation.
    > > I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh
    > > install. I'm getting fairly
    > upset
    > > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
    provided
    > by
    > > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
    similar
    > > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
    > >
    > > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
    > installation
    > > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
    > But
    > > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
    > >
    > > Scott

  5. Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I install the software, apply the USB
    IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device. When I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP) USB
    driver it hangs the system until I unplug the device. I have tried this from every USB port in the
    computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up with both Windows 2000 and
    Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's firmware hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I
    have applied every update for the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
    Polar. I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to work. I know this is a
    big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following the thread knows that I have tried all
    updates and used the approved procedure for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to
    your post. I don't intend it to be a quip to your response... even though it may read that way.

    Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software? I'm thinking about bagging
    the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.

    Scott

  6. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I install the software, apply the
    >USB IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device. When I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP)
    >USB driver it hangs the system until I unplug the device. I have tried this from every USB port in
    >the computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up with both Windows 2000 and
    >Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's firmware hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I
    >have applied every update for the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
    >Polar. I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to work. I know this is
    >a big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following the thread knows that I have tried all
    >updates and used the approved procedure for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to
    >your post. I don't intend it to be a quip to your response... even though it may read that way.
    >
    >Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software? I'm thinking about bagging
    >the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.
    >
    >Scott

    Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit
    that the IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure,
    not 100%, that I read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which
    BTW has not been resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and
    see if your hardware falls in the above category.

    ~Matt

    BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require a
    major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now, three
    Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

  7. I don't like your memory. :)

    Do you know if other IR devices work or does it have to be Polar's IR device?

    I have already contacted Polar [by email] and am waiting a response to the issues.

    Thanks for the help with this.

    Cheer, Scott

    "MJuric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit that the
    > IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that I
    > read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which BTW has not been
    > resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and see if your hardware
    > falls in the above category.
    >
    > ~Matt
    >
    > BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require
    > a major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now,
    > three Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

  8. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes conflict with Polar. I had
    thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe you just got lucky.

    There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all the
    problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech support last
    year about this problem.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a solution
    > that way.
    >
    > What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
    > lot of work but I got it working long ago.
    > need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it working the way it should, just install the
    > software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to
    > figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very same Windows 2000 installation that I used
    > before. Just on different hardware.
    >
    > Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
    > foever. :)
    >
    > Cheers Scott
    >

    > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you
    plan
    > > to use the setup, boot into 98, install it in 98.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --------------------------
    > > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com
    > > "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
    > > Windows
    > > > 2000 machine?
    > > >
    > > > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to
    work
    > > > after a reinstallation. I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since
    > > > tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm getting fairly
    > > upset
    > > > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
    > provided
    > > by
    > > > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
    > similar
    > > > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
    > > >
    > > > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
    > > installation
    > > > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
    > > But
    > > > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you
    > > > beer.
    > > >
    > > > Scott

  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    The serial version works with everything IIRC and is plenty fast enough for this application.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "MJuric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I
    install
    > >the software, apply the USB IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device.
    When
    > >I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP) USB driver it hangs the system until I unplug the
    > >device. I have tried this from every USB port
    in
    > >the computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up
    with
    > >both Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's
    firmware
    > >hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I have applied every update
    for
    > >the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
    Polar.
    > >I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to
    work.
    > >I know this is a big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following
    the
    > >thread knows that I have tried all updates and used the approved
    procedure
    > >for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to your post. I don't intend it to be a
    > >quip to your response... even though it may read that way.
    > >
    > >Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software?
    I'm
    > >thinking about bagging the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.
    > >
    > >Scott
    > >

    > Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit that the
    > IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that I
    > read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which BTW has not been
    > resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and see if your hardware
    > falls in the above category.
    >
    > ~Matt
    >
    > BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require
    > a major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now,
    > three Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

  10. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Never mind! I decided to just go ahead and send you the info anyway just in case it might help.

    This was the final result after several emails to tech support. The Mar 03 thing was optomistic. I
    think the update finally came out last month or Dec
    03.

    From Polar:

    Dear Sir,

    Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
    found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
    compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
    The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
    supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
    controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
    motherboard circuit.

    To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
    months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

    To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
    Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
    modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

    For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
    our web site in the Ask pages.

    We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

    Sincerely,

    Petri Tsokkinen

    Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a solution
    > that way.
    >
    > What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
    > lot of work but I got it working long ago.
    > need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it working the way it should, just install the
    > software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to
    > figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very same Windows 2000 installation that I used
    > before. Just on different hardware.
    >
    > Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
    > foever. :)
    >
    > Cheers Scott
    >

    > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you
    plan
    > > to use the setup, boot into 98, install it in 98.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --------------------------
    > > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com
    > > "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
    > > Windows
    > > > 2000 machine?
    > > >
    > > > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to
    work
    > > > after a reinstallation. I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since
    > > > tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm getting fairly
    > > upset
    > > > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
    > provided
    > > by
    > > > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
    > similar
    > > > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
    > > >
    > > > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
    > > installation
    > > > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
    > > But
    > > > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you
    > > > beer.
    > > >
    > > > Scott

  11. Hmm... do you have a link to the software update you think should work? Everything I found on their
    website doesn't work.

    I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard running Windows XP. That is my desired computer to use the HRM on.
    I have a much older computer that I'm using now but I want to retire it for good reasons. :)

    Scott

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes
    conflict
    > with Polar. I had thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe you just got lucky.
    >
    > There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all the
    > problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech support
    > last year about this problem.
    >

    > --
    > mark

  12. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Try this:

    http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FEA5F?OpenDocument

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Hmm... do you have a link to the software update you think should work? Everything I found on
    > their website doesn't work.
    >
    > I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard running Windows XP. That is my desired computer to use the HRM
    > on. I have a much older computer that I'm using
    now
    > but I want to retire it for good reasons. :)
    >
    > Scott
    >

    > "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes
    > conflict
    > > with Polar. I had thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe
    you
    > > just got lucky.
    > >
    > > There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all
    > > the problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech
    support
    > > last year about this problem.
    > >

    > > --
    > > mark

  13. Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with Polar Tech Support. They gave me
    the same line and suggestion.

    I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I have done everything perfectly and
    cleanly and it still does not work. For your FYI, I've included the email exchange between me and
    Polar to this point. So you can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the
    extreme measures I've taken to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. If you find a hole in my
    method and can think of an alternate approach please let me know so I can try it.

    Cheers, Scott

    Email exchange with Polar...

    I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB IR device. I've attached my
    system information as your email describes.

    Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
    1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was completely clean.
    2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the system.
    3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the version is 3.0 and rebooted.
    4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using the URL provided in your email.
    5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
    6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed the recommended option for
    installing the driver.
    7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver. I let it go for about ten
    minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR device and the installation immediately completed.
    8. I rebooted the computer.
    9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and it showed the Polar USB
    device installed and there was no exclamation mark near it.
    10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected. The computer hung during the
    Windows XP started up. I let it go for a couple of minutes but it did not start. I unplugged
    the Polar USB IR device and the OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
    11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP software. It would not connect to the
    Polar USB IR device.

    I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I know the Polar USB IR device
    works. I have used it for a long time on another computer. I can still use it on that computer and
    it works just fine. I want to retire that computer as it is very old.

    Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

    Cheers, Scott Lindner

    --- [email protected] wrote:

    > Dear Mr. Lindner,
    >
    > Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
    >
    > If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
    > 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port are
    > installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version 3.02.007 or later
    > or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You can check the version by
    > selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use always the latest software version.
    > You can find the update file on the following link:

    http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/Software/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003F-
    EA5F?OpenDocument

> [...]
    > reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the system.
    >

    > Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
    >
    > 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
    > 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
    > 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
    > 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The operating system
    > reinstalls the drivers.
    > 5. Try the IR communication.
    >
    > If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
    > 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
    > usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
    >
    > The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register entries
    > in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing features in the system
    > you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the Polar USB Remover Tool, and
    > after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and the tool from the page
    > (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By Product and Type',
    > Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to
    > remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port.
    >

    > Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
    >
    > If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please provide
    > us with additional system information.
    >
    > Please perform the following steps:
    >
    > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
    > Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row. Select
    > File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
    >
    > Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
    >
    > If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.
    >
    > Thank you for choosing Polar.
    >
    > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
    >
    > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
    >

    > Feedback from helpdesk page:
    >
    > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I have
    > reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have used the
    > USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows 2000 USB
    > driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide any guidance
    > so I can use your product?"
    >
    > Name: Scott Lindner
    >
    > Email: [email protected]
    >
    > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer type,
    > Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"

    name=pic07510.pcx

  14. Mark

    Mark Guest

    It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I came to earlier: buy the serial
    connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone with a different/more compatible computer.

    I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is plenty fast enough works
    like a charm.

    Good luck.

    --
    mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
    Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
> [...]
    > > 516-364-0400.
    > >
    > > Thank you for choosing Polar.
    > >
    > > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
    > >
    > > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
    > >

    > > Feedback from helpdesk page:
    > >
    > > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I
    > > have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have
    > > used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows
    > > 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide
    > > any guidance so I can use your product?"
    > >
    > > Name: Scott Lindner
    > >
    > > Email: [email protected]
    > >
    > > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer
    > > type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
    > >

    > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream

  15. Yeah.. that's probably the case. I thought someone posted that it will definitely work with any
    hardware with their latest software. I must have misinterpreted it.

    I'm going to ask Polar if any IR device will work or if it has to be the Polar IR device. I hate
    serial devices. I'd much rather stick with USB if I can. I'll post back anything new I learn.

    BUT.. I appreciate knowing that the serial device will solve my problem if I can't get anything else
    to work. Thanks for helping.

    BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?

> [...]

    > > > 0400.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for choosing Polar.
    > > >
    > > > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
    > > >
    > > > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
    > > >

    > > > Feedback from helpdesk page:
    > > >
    > > > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I
    > > > have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have
    > > > used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows
    > > > 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide
    > > > any guidance so I can use your product?"
    > > >
    > > > Name: Scott Lindner
    > > >
    > > > Email: [email protected]
    > > >
    > > > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer
    > > > type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
    > > >

    > > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream

  16. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hmmm, I think it was me that posted about the new software easing their compatibility problems.

    Anyway, here is the exchange with Polar that I had to help them narrow down my problems. I am not
    sure exactly what, in the very extensive summary report, they looked at but they reported
    incompatiblitiy with XP USB implementation. Don't know if that was hardware (i.e. motherboard) or
    software (i.e. XP itself or just USB driver). Whatever it was they were very clear that their
    software would not support USB on my Hewlitt Packard.

    >>Dear Sir,
    I can not send you the file you requested because your .013 update locks up my system at the point
    that it tries to copy the file PolarUSB.sys to my
    c:windows\system32\drivers directory. I have attached the system info file as it stands before
    the lock up.

    mark ----- Original Message ----- From: "Helpdesk" <[email protected]> To: "mark"
    <[email protected]> Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 8:03 AM Subject: Re: S710, IR Interface and
    Windows XP

    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have trouble with
    Polar
> [...]

    > > > computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a
    > couple
    > > of
    > > > minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device and
    > the
    > > > OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
    > > > 11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP
    software.
    > > It
    > > > would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.
    > > >
    > > > I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I
    > > know
    > > > the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on
    > another
    > > > computer. I can still use it on that computer and it works just fine.
    > > > want to retire that computer as it is very old.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

  17. Damn.. you had the same problem I had. I think I should start looking for the serial device. :)
    Thanks so much for the post.

> [...]

    > > can't get anything else to work. Thanks for helping.
    > >
    > > BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >

    > > "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I
    came
    > > > earlier: buy the serial connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone
    > with
    > > > different/more compatible computer.
    > > >
    > > > I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is
    plenty
    > > > fast enough works like a charm.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read -
    > > > Groucho Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  18. I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What if I used a USB to serial
    adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online and even the serial devices are very expensive.

    Scott

  19. Swanger

    Swanger Guest

    "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What
    if
    > I used a USB to serial adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online and even the serial
    > devices are very expensive.

    Speaking of PC Coach. I just down transfered, from my MS-XP computer, around two years of workout
    data onto a CD-R. I then ran the same CD in my MS-98 lap top,,,and nothing. I see the calendar but
    there are no workouts showing. I take the same CD back over to my XP computer and the workouts are
    there. Maybe I should transfer by email?

    Rick Swanger

  20. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you would save with your interface
    adapter. I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter would correctly translate the
    data being transferred.