Polar USB IR installation help

> Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you would save with your interface
> adapter. I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter would correctly translate
> the data being transferred.

I found an adapter for $3. USB is serial. That's what the 'S' stands for. There only two things that
really make it different: it's addressable so you can have multiple devices on the same adapter, and
it's hot swappable which means there's some additional smarts to know when a device is detected and
to negotiate. Have you seen on some keyboards that they give you a small
PS/2 connector to USB adapter? That does the same thing.

The real important thing is if I can find a driver that would work. Either Windows has one or it
won't work at all. Which is making me think that I'll give it a quick whirl and if that fails I'm
buying a serial Polar device like you suggested.

Scott

I would be interested to hear how your little experiment comes out. I can't imagine that the IR data
is in a different format for either USB or serial? Could you? And since the PPP software loads the
same, IIRC, no matter which interface you have; that would seem to indicate that your solution will
work. Good luck, and let me know how it comes out.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you
would
> > save with your interface adapter. I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter
> > would correctly translate the data being transferred.
>
> I found an adapter for $3. USB is serial. That's what the 'S' stands
for.
> There only two things that really make it different: it's addressable so
you
> can have multiple devices on the same adapter, and it's hot swappable
which
> means there's some additional smarts to know when a device is detected and to negotiate. Have you
> seen on some keyboards that they give you a small
> PS/2 connector to USB adapter? That does the same thing.
>
> The real important thing is if I can find a driver that would work.
Either
> Windows has one or it won't work at all. Which is making me think that
I'll
> give it a quick whirl and if that fails I'm buying a serial Polar device like you suggested.
>
> Scott

Originally posted by Andre
I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you plan to use the setup, boot
into 98, install it in 98.

--I had the same problem with my new motherboard and running 2000 pro. I finally went out and purchased a PCI USB card by belkin for 19.99 at Staples. I installed the card booted up and the when 2000 was running I connected the polar usb and it now recognizes the devices and does not hang on loading the driver. I hope this helps.
Chris
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Scott
Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
Windows
> 2000 machine?
>
> Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
> have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install.
> I'm getting fairly
upset
> with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided
by
> Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
> how to make it work?
>
> My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
installation
> program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
But
> what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
>
> Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
>
> Scott