Polar USB IR installation help

S

Scott Lindner

Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a Windows 2000 machine?

Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm
getting fairly upset with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided by
Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
how to make it work?

My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver installation program. As soon as I
unplug the USB IR device the software recovers. But what good is an installed driver if it only runs
when the device is unplugged? :)

Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.

Scott

I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you plan to use the setup, boot
into 98, install it in 98.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Scott
Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
Windows
> 2000 machine?
>
> Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
> have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install.
> I'm getting fairly
upset
> with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided
by
> Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
> how to make it work?
>
> My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
installation
> program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
But
> what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
>
> Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
>
> Scott

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:50:02 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a Windows 2000 machine?
>
>Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation. I
>have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm
>getting fairly upset with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool provided by
>Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had similar troubles and figured out
>how to make it work?
>
>My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver installation program. As soon as I
>unplug the USB IR device the software recovers. But what good is an installed driver if it only
>runs when the device is unplugged? :)
>
>Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
>
>Scott
>

Have you tried installing the drivers without the device being attached. I'm running mine on
a windows 2000 box and it works fine. However the system will not boot with the IR device
installed. I can't remeber if I had the device plugged in or not during installation. I'm
just wondering if you can install the drivers, you'll probably get a "device not found"
error of some sort, and then hook up the device later. Also I know I've had problems in teh
past with some USB device simply locking the system up and not installing. I think there has
been similar problems with the Polar IR device, you may want to contact Polar.

~Matt

Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a
solution that way.

What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
lot of work but I got it working long ago. I need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it
working the way it should, just install the software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today
I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very
same Windows 2000 installation that I used before. Just on different hardware.

Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
foever. :)

Cheers Scott

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you plan to use the setup, boot
> into 98, install it in 98.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com "Scott
> Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
> Windows
> > 2000 machine?
> >
> > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to work after a reinstallation.
> > I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since I tried making it work again after a fresh
> > install. I'm getting fairly
> upset
> > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
provided
> by
> > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
similar
> > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
> >
> > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
> installation
> > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
> But
> > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
> >
> > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you a beer.
> >
> > Scott
> >
>

Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I install the software, apply the USB
IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device. When I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP) USB
driver it hangs the system until I unplug the device. I have tried this from every USB port in the
computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up with both Windows 2000 and
Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's firmware hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I
have applied every update for the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
Polar. I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to work. I know this is a
big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following the thread knows that I have tried all
updates and used the approved procedure for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to
your post. I don't intend it to be a quip to your response... even though it may read that way.

Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software? I'm thinking about bagging
the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.

Scott

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I install the software, apply the
>USB IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device. When I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP)
>USB driver it hangs the system until I unplug the device. I have tried this from every USB port in
>the computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up with both Windows 2000 and
>Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's firmware hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I
>have applied every update for the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
>Polar. I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to work. I know this is
>a big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following the thread knows that I have tried all
>updates and used the approved procedure for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to
>your post. I don't intend it to be a quip to your response... even though it may read that way.
>
>Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software? I'm thinking about bagging
>the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.
>
>Scott
>

Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit
that the IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure,
not 100%, that I read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which
BTW has not been resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and
see if your hardware falls in the above category.

~Matt

BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require a
major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now, three
Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

I don't like your memory. :)

Do you know if other IR devices work or does it have to be Polar's IR device?

I have already contacted Polar [by email] and am waiting a response to the issues.

Thanks for the help with this.

Cheer, Scott

"MJuric" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit that the
> IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that I
> read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which BTW has not been
> resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and see if your hardware
> falls in the above category.
>
> ~Matt
>
> BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require
> a major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now,
> three Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes conflict with Polar. I had
thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe you just got lucky.

There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all the
problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech support last
year about this problem.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a solution
> that way.
>
> What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
> lot of work but I got it working long ago.
I
> need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it working the way it should, just install the
> software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to
> figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very same Windows 2000 installation that I used
> before. Just on different hardware.
>
> Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
> foever. :)
>
> Cheers Scott
>
>
> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you
plan
> > to use the setup, boot into 98, install it in 98.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------
> > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com
> > "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
> > Windows
> > > 2000 machine?
> > >
> > > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to
work
> > > after a reinstallation. I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since
I
> > > tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm getting fairly
> > upset
> > > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
> provided
> > by
> > > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
> similar
> > > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
> > >
> > > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
> > installation
> > > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
> > But
> > > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you
a
> > > beer.
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >
> > >
> >
>

The serial version works with everything IIRC and is plenty fast enough for this application.

--
mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
Marx xes out for mail "MJuric" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yes. I have installed the drivers without the device attached. I
install
> >the software, apply the USB IR patch, reboot, then add the USB device.
When
> >I select the path to the Windows 2000 (and XP) USB driver it hangs the system until I unplug the
> >device. I have tried this from every USB port
in
> >the computer, from every port in my USB hub, and reinstalling the OS up
with
> >both Windows 2000 and Windows XP. I have updated the motherboard's
firmware
> >hoping that could be it as well. In fact, I have applied every update
for
> >the computer that applies including the PPP 4.0 software update from
Polar.
> >I have invested over 20 hours over the past week trying to get this to
work.
> >I know this is a big dump but I thought I'd share it so anyone following
the
> >thread knows that I have tried all updates and used the approved
procedure
> >for installing this device. Sorry that it's in response to your post. I don't intend it to be a
> >quip to your response... even though it may read that way.
> >
> >Do you know if I can use any IR device with my Polar HRM and software?
I'm
> >thinking about bagging the Polar USB IR device and buying one that I know will work.
> >
> >Scott
> >
>
> Not to be a bearer of potential bad news. But if memory serves I believe Polar did admit that the
> IR device would not work with certain hardware configs and 2000. I'm pretty sure, not 100%, that I
> read that whilst trying to figure out my IR boot and hang problem, which BTW has not been
> resolved. It may save you some time and frustration by contacting Polar and see if your hardware
> falls in the above category.
>
> ~Matt
>
> BTW Also if memory serves they said they had no intention on fixing the issue as it would require
> a major revamping of either the hardware or the IR device but this is all coming from my now,
> three Samuel Adams to the wind memory....

Never mind! I decided to just go ahead and send you the info anyway just in case it might help.

This was the final result after several emails to tech support. The Mar 03 thing was optomistic. I
think the update finally came out last month or Dec

From Polar:

Dear Sir,

Our USB driver developers have examined the issue intensively and now the reason for the problem is
found. One USB controller type on the computer's motherboard (Open Host Controller Interface) is not
compatible with Polar IR Interface for USB port on Windows XP Home/Professional operating system.
The USB port handling for this type of the controller is changed on Windows XP. On the other
supported operating systems the Polar IR Interface will work properly also with above mentioned USB
controller circuits. Referring to your computer's system information it have that kind of
motherboard circuit.

To solve the issue changes inside the Interface is needed. Unfortunately this will take several
months. The estimation is four moths i.e. we will have modified Interfaces in the end of March 2003.

To enable the IR communication with your Polar HR monitor we will change your USB connected
Interface to the Polar IR Interface for serial port. The another choice is to wait until we have the
modified Interface and then change your Interface to the new one.

For further actions please contact your local distributor. You will find the contact information at
our web site in the Ask pages.

We regret the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Sincerely,

Petri Tsokkinen

Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

--
> Ugh.. that ain't right at all. Thanks for the tip though. I was not thinking about the a solution
> that way.
>
> What bugs me is that I have had it working on two other Windows 2000 machines. The first took me a
> lot of work but I got it working long ago.
I
> need a USB IR patch back then. Six months ago I got it working the way it should, just install the
> software, plug in the IR device, and you're done. Today I have reinstalled over 20 times trying to
> figure out why the driver doesn't like the OS. The very same Windows 2000 installation that I used
> before. Just on different hardware.
>
> Thanks again for the tip. I might just do that. Although I was hoping to have put Win9x behind me
> foever. :)
>
> Cheers Scott
>
>
> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I would advise setting up a dual boot with win 98 and 2000. When you
plan
> > to use the setup, boot into 98, install it in 98.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------
> > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com
> > "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Has anyone been able to get the Polar USB IR interface to work on a
> > Windows
> > > 2000 machine?
> > >
> > > Interesting way to ask that question.. I have but I can't get it to
work
> > > after a reinstallation. I have reinstalled the OS over 10 times since
I
> > > tried making it work again after a fresh install. I'm getting fairly
> > upset
> > > with this fvcking thing. I have used the USB driver remove tool
> provided
> > by
> > > Polar, I can't think of anything else to try. Has anyone else had
> similar
> > > troubles and figured out how to make it work?
> > >
> > > My big trouble is when I plug in the device it hangs the driver
> > installation
> > > program. As soon as I unplug the USB IR device the software recovers.
> > But
> > > what good is an installed driver if it only runs when the device is unplugged? :)
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help with this. If you live in my area... I'll owe you
a
> > > beer.
> > >
> > > Scott
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Hmm... do you have a link to the software update you think should work? Everything I found on their
website doesn't work.

I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard running Windows XP. That is my desired computer to use the HRM on.
I have a much older computer that I'm using now but I want to retire it for good reasons. :)

Scott

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes
conflict
> with Polar. I had thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe you just got lucky.
>
> There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all the
> problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech support
> last year about this problem.
>
>
> --
> mark

Try this:

http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003FEA5F?OpenDocument

--
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Hmm... do you have a link to the software update you think should work? Everything I found on
> their website doesn't work.
>
> I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard running Windows XP. That is my desired computer to use the HRM
> on. I have a much older computer that I'm using
now
> but I want to retire it for good reasons. :)
>
> Scott
>
>
> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Thee are a very small percentage of machines whose hardware causes
> conflict
> > with Polar. I had thought they were all with the XP drivers but maybe
you
> > just got lucky.
> >
> > There is a new download on Polar's site that updates the software and it "seems" to solve all
> > the problems. Good luck. If you want more info I can post the answer I got from Polar Tech
support
> > last year about this problem.
> >
> >
> > --
> > mark

Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with Polar Tech Support. They gave me
the same line and suggestion.

I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I have done everything perfectly and
cleanly and it still does not work. For your FYI, I've included the email exchange between me and
Polar to this point. So you can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the
extreme measures I've taken to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. If you find a hole in my
method and can think of an alternate approach please let me know so I can try it.

Cheers, Scott

Email exchange with Polar...

I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB IR device. I've attached my
system information as your email describes.

Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was completely clean.
2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the system.
3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the version is 3.0 and rebooted.
4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using the URL provided in your email.
5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed the recommended option for
installing the driver.
7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver. I let it go for about ten
minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR device and the installation immediately completed.
8. I rebooted the computer.
9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and it showed the Polar USB
device installed and there was no exclamation mark near it.
10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected. The computer hung during the
Windows XP started up. I let it go for a couple of minutes but it did not start. I unplugged
the Polar USB IR device and the OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP software. It would not connect to the
Polar USB IR device.

I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I know the Polar USB IR device
works. I have used it for a long time on another computer. I can still use it on that computer and
it works just fine. I want to retire that computer as it is very old.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Cheers, Scott Lindner

--- [email protected] wrote:
>
>
> Dear Mr. Lindner,
>
> Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
>
> If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
> 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port are
> installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version 3.02.007 or later
> or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You can check the version by
> selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use always the latest software version.
> You can find the update file on the following link:
>
http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/Software/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003F-
EA5F?OpenDocument
>
>
>
> NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected to
> the computer's USB port.
>
> After the installation/updating process you can connect the interface. The USB Interface Auto
> Check function is on by default i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is connected the
> software detects it automatically and uses in IR communication.
>
> Normal functioning
>
> When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the toolbar the yellow light inside the
> Interface should start flashing. Although the light does not flash you can try the
> communication with the HR monitor; only the led in the Interface may be defective. The IR
> Communication box is displayed on the computer's screen. On the HR monitor display the Infrared
> COM text and percentages are shown.
>
>
> Checking the Polar USB drivers
>
> You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the drivers are installed properly. Connect the
> Interface into the USB port and open the Windows Device Manager
> e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then pressing the Pause/Break key. Check that
> PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then select Polar USB Interface, right-click and select
> Properties from the shortcut menu. Check that there is text "This device is working
> properly" in the Device Status pane on the General page.
>
> NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not exist in front of the Polar USB
> Interface text.
>
> (Embedded image moved to file: pic07510.pcx)
>
>
> Troubleshooting
>
> INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be installed with the
> instruction in the user manual of the Interface. The most important thing is NOT to have the
> Interface connected into the USB port when installing/updating the software for the first time to
> the version that installs the Polar USB drivers i.e. to the version 3.02.007 or later. If the
> Interface is connected but the Polar USB drivers do not exist in the computer it is necessary to
> remove the drivers by using Polar USB Remover Tool. You find the detailed instruction and the tool
> from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By Product and
> Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB
> port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port. On Windows
> 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, the user must have been logged in with administrator rights
> to install Polar USB drivers to the system. You can install the Polar Precision Performance
> software with user rights, but the Polar USB drivers will not be installed. When
> installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or later without administrator rights to
> computer's running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the error message "Installation failed" is
> displayed. However, the software is installed properly and it works without problems, only Polar
> USB drivers installation has failed. Installing without administrator rights may cause problems
> later when installing the Polar USB drivers. HARDWARE RELATED ISSUES If the yellow light inside
> the Interface is not flashing, check that it is connected properly to the USB port. If it is
> possible, try the communication with another interface unit to ensure that the Interface is not
> defective. Check that the USB port is not broken, and it is not disabled on computer's BIOS. If
> the computer has several USB ports try another one. For example, try another port if everything
> seems to work properly but no data is transferred. Unplugging and then reconnecting the Interface
> into the USB port may enable the IR communication. If the communication begins to work after
> replugging, the Interface is defective. In that case, please contact your local distributor to
> change the Interface. You can find the distributor information from Polar Web site. However, you
> can use the Interface by unplugging and then replugging it after starting the computer. Although
> the operating system should handle the devices installed on the same IRQ line, sometimes problems
> may occur after installing a new device e.g. a modem or a network card. The IRQ lines can be
> checked on the Device Manager. If the USB port stops working after installing a new device, remove
> the installation and then reinstall the device. Normally it will be installed on another IRQ line
> as in the previous installation and the USB port is not interfered by this device. If you have a
> lot of USB devices installed to your computer they may interfere with the functioning of each
> other e.g. Polar IR Interface. The USB version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1. or later. The
> USB version in the computer can be checked from the computer's manual, for example. However, most
> of the computers are using the USB version 1.1. or later. The computer is too slow for Polar IR
> Interface for USB port. The minimum is Pentium 200 MHz. OPERATING SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES Updating
> the operating system may fix also data transmission problems via computer's USB port. Note that
> any device e.g. Polar IR Interface should not be connected to the USB port while updating the
> operating system. Sometimes updating the operating system may also cause problems. If the data
> transmission is stopped after updating the OS, you can try if resuming the OS to the previously
> existing installation reverts the data transmission. The operating system may be "aged".
> Especially Windows
> 95 / Windows 98 and Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use (2-5 years). The possible
> reason for this is that installing several programs mix different files in the OS (e.g. .dll
> files) so that the system functions in an irregular manor
> e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the most important system files e.g. by
> installing the latest version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer may help. However,
> reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the system.
>
>
> Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
>
> 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
> 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
> 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
> 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The operating system
> reinstalls the drivers.
> 5. Try the IR communication.
>
> If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
> 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
> usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
>
> The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register entries
> in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing features in the system
> you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the Polar USB Remover Tool, and
> after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and the tool from the page
> (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By Product and Type',
> Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to
> remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port.
>
>
> Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
>
> If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please provide
> us with additional system information.
>
> Please perform the following steps:
>
> Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row. Select
> File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
>
> Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
>
> If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.
>
> Thank you for choosing Polar.
>
> Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
>
> [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
>
>
>
> Feedback from helpdesk page:
>
> "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I have
> reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have used the
> USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows 2000 USB
> driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide any guidance
> so I can use your product?"
>
> Name: Scott Lindner
>
> Email: [email protected]
>
> Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer type,
> Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream
name=pic07510.pcx

It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I came to earlier: buy the serial
connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone with a different/more compatible computer.

I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is plenty fast enough works
like a charm.

Good luck.

--
news:p[email protected]...
> Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with Polar Tech Support. They gave me
> the same line and suggestion.
>
> I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I have
done
> everything perfectly and cleanly and it still does not work. For your
FYI,
> I've included the email exchange between me and Polar to this point. So
you
> can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the extreme measures I've taken
> to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.
If
> you find a hole in my method and can think of an alternate approach please let me know so I
> can try it.
>
> Cheers, Scott
>
> ****************************************************
> Email exchange with Polar...
>
>
> I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB IR device. I've attached my
> system information as your email describes.
>
> Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
> 1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was completely clean.
> 2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the system.
> 3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the version is 3.0 and
> rebooted.
> 4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using the
URL
> provided in your email.
> 5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
> 6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed the recommended option for
> installing the driver.
> 7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver. I let it go for about ten
> minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR device and the installation immediately completed.
> 8. I rebooted the computer.
> 9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and it showed the Polar USB
> device installed and there was no exclamation mark
near
> it.
> 10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected.
The
> computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a couple
of
> minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device and the OS immediately continued
> and gave me the login screen.
> 11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP software.
It
> would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.
>
> I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I
know
> the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on another computer. I can still use
> it on that computer and it works just fine. I want to retire that computer as it is very old.
>
> Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
>
> Cheers, Scott Lindner
>
>
>
> --- [email protected] wrote:
> >
> >
> > Dear Mr. Lindner,
> >
> > Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
> >
> > If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
> > 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port are
> > installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version 3.02.007 or
> > later or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You can check the
> > version by selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use always the latest
> > software version. You can find the update file on the following link:
> >
>
http://support.polar.fi/PKBSupport.nsf/Software/PKBSupport.nsf/ALLDOCS/42256C2B001E0F6A42256B27003F-
EA5F?OpenDocument
> >
> >
> >
> > NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected to
> > the computer's USB port.
> >
> > After the installation/updating process you can connect the interface. The USB Interface Auto
> > Check function is on by default i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is connected the
> > software detects it automatically and uses in IR communication.
> >
> > Normal functioning
> >
> > When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the toolbar the yellow light inside the
> > Interface should start flashing. Although the light does not flash you can try the
> > communication with the HR monitor; only the led in the Interface may be defective. The IR
> > Communication box is displayed on the computer's screen. On the HR monitor display the
> > Infrared COM text and percentages are shown.
> >
> >
> > Checking the Polar USB drivers
> >
> > You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the drivers are installed properly. Connect the
> > Interface into the USB port and open the Windows Device Manager
> > e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then pressing the Pause/Break key. Check that
> > PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then select Polar USB Interface, right-click and select
> > Properties from the shortcut menu. Check that there is text "This device is working
> > properly" in the Device Status pane on the General page.
> >
> > NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not exist in front of the Polar USB
> > Interface text.
> >
> > (Embedded image moved to file: pic07510.pcx)
> >
> >
> > Troubleshooting
> >
> > INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be installed with the
> > instruction in the user manual of the Interface. The most important thing is NOT to have the
> > Interface connected into the USB port when installing/updating the software for the first time
> > to the version that installs the Polar USB drivers i.e. to the version 3.02.007 or later. If the
> > Interface is connected but the Polar USB drivers do not exist in the computer it is necessary to
> > remove the drivers by using Polar USB Remover Tool. You find the detailed instruction and the
> > tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By
> > Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface
> > for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port. On
> > Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, the user must have been logged in with
> > administrator rights to install Polar USB drivers to the system. You can install the Polar
> > Precision Performance software with user rights, but the Polar USB drivers will not be
> > installed. When installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or later without administrator
> > rights to computer's running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the error message "Installation failed"
> > is displayed. However, the software is installed properly and it works without problems, only
> > Polar USB drivers installation has failed. Installing without administrator rights may cause
> > problems later when installing the Polar USB drivers. HARDWARE RELATED ISSUES If the yellow
> > light inside the Interface is not flashing, check that it is connected properly to the USB port.
> > If it is possible, try the communication with another interface unit to ensure that the
> > Interface is not defective. Check that the USB port is not broken, and it is not disabled on
> > computer's BIOS. If the computer has several USB ports try another one. For example, try another
> > port if everything seems to work properly but no data is transferred. Unplugging and then
> > reconnecting the Interface into the USB port may enable the IR communication. If the
> > communication begins to work after replugging, the Interface is defective. In that case, please
> > contact your local distributor to change the Interface. You can find the distributor information
> > from Polar Web site. However, you can use the Interface by unplugging and then replugging it
> > after starting the computer. Although the operating system should handle the devices installed
> > on the same IRQ line, sometimes problems may occur after installing a new device e.g. a modem or
> > a network card. The IRQ lines can be checked on the Device Manager. If the USB port stops
> > working after installing a new device, remove the installation and then reinstall the device.
> > Normally it will be installed on another IRQ line as in the previous installation and the USB
> > port is not interfered by this device. If you have a lot of USB devices installed to your
> > computer they may interfere with the functioning of each other e.g. Polar IR Interface. The USB
> > version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1. or later. The USB version in the computer can be
> > checked from the computer's manual, for example. However, most of the computers are using the
> > USB version 1.1. or later. The computer is too slow for Polar IR Interface for USB port. The
> > minimum is Pentium 200 MHz. OPERATING SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES Updating the operating system may
> > fix also data transmission problems via computer's USB port. Note that any device e.g. Polar IR
> > Interface should not be connected to the USB port while updating the operating system. Sometimes
> > updating the operating system may also cause problems. If the data transmission is stopped after
> > updating the OS, you can try if resuming the OS to the previously existing installation reverts
> > the data transmission. The operating system may be "aged". Especially Windows
> > 95 / Windows 98 and Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use (2-5 years). The possible
> > reason for this is that installing several programs mix different files in the OS (e.g.
> > .dll files) so that the system functions in an irregular manor
> > e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the most important system files e.g. by
> > installing the latest version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer may help. However,
> > reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the system.
> >
> >
> > Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
> >
> > 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
> > 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
> > 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
> > 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The operating
> > system reinstalls the drivers.
> > 5. Try the IR communication.
> >
> > If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
> > 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
> > usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
> >
> > The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register
> > entries in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing features in
> > the system you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the Polar USB Remover
> > Tool, and after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and the tool from
> > the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By Product and
> > Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB
> > port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port.
> >
> >
> > Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
> >
> > If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please provide
> > us with additional system information.
> >
> > Please perform the following steps:
> >
> > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> > Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row. Select
> > File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
> >
> > Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
> >
> > If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or
> > 516-364-0400.
> >
> > Thank you for choosing Polar.
> >
> > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
> >
> > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
> >
> >
> >
> > Feedback from helpdesk page:
> >
> > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I
> > have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have
> > used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows
> > 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide
> > any guidance so I can use your product?"
> >
> > Name: Scott Lindner
> >
> > Email: [email protected]
> >
> > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer
> > type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
> >
>
> > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream
> name=pic07510.pcx
>
>
>
> __________________________________
> Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.
> http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Yeah.. that's probably the case. I thought someone posted that it will definitely work with any
hardware with their latest software. I must have misinterpreted it.

I'm going to ask Polar if any IR device will work or if it has to be the Polar IR device. I hate
serial devices. I'd much rather stick with USB if I can. I'll post back anything new I learn.

BUT.. I appreciate knowing that the serial device will solve my problem if I can't get anything else
to work. Thanks for helping.

BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?

Scott

> It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I came to earlier: buy the serial
> connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone with
a
> different/more compatible computer.
>
> I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is plenty fast enough works like
> a charm.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
> Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with Polar Tech Support. They gave
> > me the same line and suggestion.
> >
> > I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I have
> done
> > everything perfectly and cleanly and it still does not work. For your
> FYI,
> > I've included the email exchange between me and Polar to this point. So
> you
> > can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the extreme measures I've
> > taken to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid.
> If
> > you find a hole in my method and can think of an alternate approach
please
> > let me know so I can try it.
> >
> > Cheers, Scott
> >
> > ****************************************************
> > Email exchange with Polar...
> >
> >
> > I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB IR device. I've attached
> > my system information as your email describes.
> >
> > Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
> > 1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was
completely
> > clean.
> > 2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the system.
> > 3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the version is 3.0 and
> > rebooted.
> > 4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using the
> URL
> > provided in your email.
> > 5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
> > 6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed
the
> > recommended option for installing the driver.
> > 7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver.
I
> > let it go for about ten minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR
device
> > and the installation immediately completed.
> > 8. I rebooted the computer.
> > 9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and
it
> > showed the Polar USB device installed and there was no exclamation mark
> near
> > it.
> > 10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected.
> The
> > computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a
couple
> of
> > minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device and
the
> > OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
> > 11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP software.
> It
> > would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.
> >
> > I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I
> know
> > the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on
another
> > computer. I can still use it on that computer and it works just fine.
I
> > want to retire that computer as it is very old.
> >
> > Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
> >
> > Cheers, Scott Lindner
> >
> >
> >
> > --- [email protected] wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Dear Mr. Lindner,
> > >
> > > Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
> > >
> > > If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
> > > 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port are
> > > installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version 3.02.007 or
> > > later or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You can check the
> > > version by selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use always the latest
> > > software version. You can find the update file on the following link:
> > >
> >
>
EA5F?OpenDocument
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected
> > > to the computer's USB port.
> > >
> > > After the installation/updating process you can connect the interface. The USB Interface Auto
> > > Check function is on by default i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is connected the
> > > software detects it automatically and uses in IR communication.
> > >
> > > Normal functioning
> > >
> > > When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the toolbar the yellow light inside the
> > > Interface should start flashing. Although the light does not flash you can try the
> > > communication with the HR monitor; only the led in the Interface may be defective. The IR
> > > Communication box is displayed on the computer's screen. On the HR monitor display the
> > > Infrared COM text and percentages are shown.
> > >
> > >
> > > Checking the Polar USB drivers
> > >
> > > You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the drivers are installed properly. Connect
> > > the Interface into the USB port and open the Windows Device Manager
> > > e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then pressing the Pause/Break key. Check that
> > > PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then select Polar USB Interface, right-click and
> > > select Properties from the shortcut menu. Check that there is text "This device is
> > > working properly" in the Device Status pane on the General page.
> > >
> > > NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not exist in front of the Polar USB Interface
> > > text.
> > >
> > > (Embedded image moved to file: pic07510.pcx)
> > >
> > >
> > > Troubleshooting
> > >
> > > INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be installed with the
> > > instruction in the user manual of the Interface. The most important thing is NOT to have the
> > > Interface connected into the USB port when installing/updating the software for the first time
> > > to the version that installs the Polar USB drivers i.e. to the version 3.02.007 or later. If
> > > the Interface is connected but the Polar USB drivers do not exist in the computer it is
> > > necessary to remove the drivers by using Polar USB Remover Tool. You find the detailed
> > > instruction and the tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003',
> > > View 'Published\By Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of
> > > Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR
> > > Interface for USB port. On Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, the user must have
> > > been logged in with administrator rights to install Polar USB drivers to the system. You can
> > > install the Polar Precision Performance software with user rights, but the Polar USB drivers
> > > will not be installed. When installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or later without
> > > administrator rights to computer's running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the error message
> > > "Installation failed" is displayed. However, the software is installed properly and it works
> > > without problems, only Polar USB drivers installation has failed. Installing without
> > > administrator rights may cause problems later when installing the Polar USB drivers. HARDWARE
> > > RELATED ISSUES If the yellow light inside the Interface is not flashing, check that it is
> > > connected properly to the USB port. If it is possible, try the communication with another
> > > interface unit to ensure that the Interface is not defective. Check that the USB port is not
> > > broken, and it is not disabled on computer's BIOS. If the computer has several USB ports try
> > > another one. For example, try another port if everything seems to work properly but no data is
> > > transferred. Unplugging and then reconnecting the Interface into the USB port may enable the
> > > IR communication. If the communication begins to work after replugging, the Interface is
> > > defective. In that case, please contact your local distributor to change the Interface. You
> > > can find the distributor information from Polar Web site. However, you can use the Interface
> > > by unplugging and then replugging it after starting the computer. Although the operating
> > > system should handle the devices installed on the same IRQ line, sometimes problems may occur
> > > after installing a new device e.g. a modem or a network card. The IRQ lines can be checked on
> > > the Device Manager. If the USB port stops working after installing a new device, remove the
> > > installation and then reinstall the device. Normally it will be installed on another IRQ line
> > > as in the previous installation and the USB port is not interfered by this device. If you have
> > > a lot of USB devices installed to your computer they may interfere with the functioning of
> > > each other e.g. Polar IR Interface. The USB version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1. or
> > > later. The USB version in the computer can be checked from the computer's manual, for example.
> > > However, most of the computers are using the USB version 1.1. or later. The computer is too
> > > slow for Polar IR Interface for USB port. The minimum is Pentium 200 MHz. OPERATING SYSTEM
> > > RELATED ISSUES Updating the operating system may fix also data transmission problems via
> > > computer's USB port. Note that any device e.g. Polar IR Interface should not be connected to
> > > the USB port while updating the operating system. Sometimes updating the operating system may
> > > also cause problems. If the data transmission is stopped after updating the OS, you can try if
> > > resuming the OS to the previously existing installation reverts the data transmission. The
> > > operating system may be "aged". Especially Windows
> > > 95 / Windows 98 and Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use (2-5 years). The
> > > possible reason for this is that installing several programs mix different files in the
> > > OS (e.g. .dll files) so that the system functions in an irregular manor
> > > e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the most important system files e.g. by
> > > installing the latest version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer may help. However,
> > > reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the system.
> > >
> > >
> > > Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
> > >
> > > 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
> > > 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
> > > 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
> > > 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The operating
> > > system reinstalls the drivers.
> > > 5. Try the IR communication.
> > >
> > > If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
> > > 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
> > > usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
> > >
> > > The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register
> > > entries in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing features in
> > > the system you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the Polar USB
> > > Remover Tool, and after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and the
> > > tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By
> > > Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface
> > > for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port.
> > >
> > >
> > > Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
> > >
> > > If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please
> > > provide us with additional system information.
> > >
> > > Please perform the following steps:
> > >
> > > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> > > Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row. Select
> > > File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
> > >
> > > Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
> > >
> > > If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-
> > > 0400.
> > >
> > > Thank you for choosing Polar.
> > >
> > > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
> > >
> > > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Feedback from helpdesk page:
> > >
> > > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I
> > > have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have
> > > used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows
> > > 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you provide
> > > any guidance so I can use your product?"
> > >
> > > Name: Scott Lindner
> > >
> > > Email: [email protected]
> > >
> > > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer
> > > type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
> > >
> >
> > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream
> > name=pic07510.pcx
> >
> >
> >
> > __________________________________
> > Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.
> > http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
> >
>

Hmmm, I think it was me that posted about the new software easing their compatibility problems.

Anyway, here is the exchange with Polar that I had to help them narrow down my problems. I am not
sure exactly what, in the very extensive summary report, they looked at but they reported
incompatiblitiy with XP USB implementation. Don't know if that was hardware (i.e. motherboard) or
software (i.e. XP itself or just USB driver). Whatever it was they were very clear that their
software would not support USB on my Hewlitt Packard.

>>Dear Sir,
I can not send you the file you requested because your .013 update locks up my system at the point
that it tries to copy the file PolarUSB.sys to my
c:windows\system32\drivers directory. I have attached the system info file as it stands before
the lock up.

mark ----- Original Message ----- From: "Helpdesk" <[email protected]> To: "mark"
<[email protected]> Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 8:03 AM Subject: Re: S710, IR Interface and
Windows XP

>
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have trouble with
Polar
> products. Could you provide us the system information of your PC? It would
help
> us to assist you further.
>
>
> Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs - Accessories
> - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row. Select File - Export to
> save the whole system information in .txt mode. Email the file as an attachment to us.
>
> I am sorry for any inconvenience this problem has caused you.
>
> Best Regards,
>
>
> Petri Tsokkinen
>
> Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland

--
> Yeah.. that's probably the case. I thought someone posted that it will definitely work with any
> hardware with their latest software. I must have misinterpreted it.
>
> I'm going to ask Polar if any IR device will work or if it has to be the Polar IR device. I hate
> serial devices. I'd much rather stick with USB
if
> I can. I'll post back anything new I learn.
>
> BUT.. I appreciate knowing that the serial device will solve my problem if
I
> can't get anything else to work. Thanks for helping.
>
> BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I came
to
> > earlier: buy the serial connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone
with
> a
> > different/more compatible computer.
> >
> > I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is plenty fast enough works like a
> > charm.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > --
> > mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
> > Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with
Polar
> > > Tech Support. They gave me the same line and suggestion.
> > >
> > > I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I
have
> > done
> > > everything perfectly and cleanly and it still does not work. For your
> > FYI,
> > > I've included the email exchange between me and Polar to this point.
So
> > you
> > > can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and the extreme measures I've
> > > taken to make sure I'm not doing anything
stupid.
> > If
> > > you find a hole in my method and can think of an alternate approach
> please
> > > let me know so I can try it.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Scott
> > >
> > > ****************************************************
> > > Email exchange with Polar...
> > >
> > >
> > > I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my USB
IR
> > > device. I've attached my system information as your email describes.
> > >
> > > Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I had.
> > > 1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was
> completely
> > > clean.
> > > 2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the
system.
> > > 3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe the version is 3.0 and
> > > rebooted.
> > > 4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using
the
> > URL
> > > provided in your email.
> > > 5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
> > > 6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and followed
> the
> > > recommended option for installing the driver.
> > > 7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the driver.
> I
> > > let it go for about ten minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR
> device
> > > and the installation immediately completed.
> > > 8. I rebooted the computer.
> > > 9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices and
> it
> > > showed the Polar USB device installed and there was no exclamation
mark
> > near
> > > it.
> > > 10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device connected.
> > The
> > > computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a
> couple
> > of
> > > minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device and
> the
> > > OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
> > > 11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP
software.
> > It
> > > would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.
> > >
> > > I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this. I
> > know
> > > the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on
> another
> > > computer. I can still use it on that computer and it works just fine.
> I
> > > want to retire that computer as it is very old.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
> > >
> > > Cheers, Scott Lindner
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- [email protected] wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Dear Mr. Lindner,
> > > >
> > > > Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
> > > >
> > > > If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
> > > > 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port are
> > > > installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version 3.02.007 or
> > > > later or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You can check the
> > > > version by selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use always the latest
> > > > software version. You can find the update file on the following link:
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
EA5F?OpenDocument
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be connected
> > > > to the computer's USB port.
> > > >
> > > > After the installation/updating process you can connect the interface. The USB Interface
> > > > Auto Check function is on by default i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is
> > > > connected the software detects it automatically and uses in IR communication.
> > > >
> > > > Normal functioning
> > > >
> > > > When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the toolbar the yellow light inside the
> > > > Interface should start flashing. Although the light does not flash you can try the
> > > > communication with the HR monitor; only the led in the Interface may be defective. The IR
> > > > Communication box is displayed on the computer's screen. On the HR monitor display the
> > > > Infrared COM text and percentages are shown.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Checking the Polar USB drivers
> > > >
> > > > You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the drivers are installed properly. Connect
> > > > the Interface into the USB port and open the Windows Device Manager
> > > > e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then pressing the Pause/Break key. Check that
> > > > PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then select Polar USB Interface, right-click and
> > > > select Properties from the shortcut menu. Check that there is text "This device is
> > > > working properly" in the Device Status pane on the General page.
> > > >
> > > > NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not exist in front of the Polar USB
> > > > Interface text.
> > > >
> > > > (Embedded image moved to file: pic07510.pcx)
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Troubleshooting
> > > >
> > > > INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be installed with the
> > > > instruction in the user manual of the Interface. The most important thing is NOT to have the
> > > > Interface connected into the USB port when installing/updating the software for the first
> > > > time to the version that installs the Polar USB drivers i.e. to the version 3.02.007 or
> > > > later. If the Interface is connected but the Polar USB drivers do not exist in the computer
> > > > it is necessary to remove the drivers by using Polar USB Remover Tool. You find the detailed
> > > > instruction and the tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003',
> > > > View 'Published\By Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers
> > > > of Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR
> > > > Interface for USB port. On Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating systems, the user must have
> > > > been logged in with administrator rights to install Polar USB drivers to the system. You can
> > > > install the Polar Precision Performance software with user rights, but the Polar USB drivers
> > > > will not be installed. When installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or later
> > > > without administrator rights to computer's running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the error
> > > > message "Installation failed" is displayed. However, the software is installed properly and
> > > > it works without problems, only Polar USB drivers installation has failed. Installing
> > > > without administrator rights may cause problems later when installing the Polar USB drivers.
> > > > HARDWARE RELATED ISSUES If the yellow light inside the Interface is not flashing, check that
> > > > it is connected properly to the USB port. If it is possible, try the communication with
> > > > another interface unit to ensure that the Interface is not defective. Check that the USB
> > > > port is not broken, and it is not disabled on computer's BIOS. If the computer has several
> > > > USB ports try another one. For example, try another port if everything seems to work
> > > > properly but no data is transferred. Unplugging and then reconnecting the Interface into the
> > > > USB port may enable the IR communication. If the communication begins to work after
> > > > replugging, the Interface is defective. In that case, please contact your local distributor
> > > > to change the Interface. You can find the distributor information from Polar Web site.
> > > > However, you can use the Interface by unplugging and then replugging it after starting the
> > > > computer. Although the operating system should handle the devices installed on the same IRQ
> > > > line, sometimes problems may occur after installing a new device e.g. a modem or a network
> > > > card. The IRQ lines can be checked on the Device Manager. If the USB port stops working
> > > > after installing a new device, remove the installation and then reinstall the device.
> > > > Normally it will be installed on another IRQ line as in the previous installation and the
> > > > USB port is not interfered by this device. If you have a lot of USB devices installed to
> > > > your computer they may interfere with the functioning of each other e.g. Polar IR Interface.
> > > > The USB version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1. or later. The USB version in the
> > > > computer can be checked from the computer's manual, for example. However, most of the
> > > > computers are using the USB version 1.1. or later. The computer is too slow for Polar IR
> > > > Interface for USB port. The minimum is Pentium 200 MHz. OPERATING SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES
> > > > Updating the operating system may fix also data transmission problems via computer's USB
> > > > port. Note that any device e.g. Polar IR Interface should not be connected to the USB port
> > > > while updating the operating system. Sometimes updating the operating system may also cause
> > > > problems. If the data transmission is stopped after updating the OS, you can try if resuming
> > > > the OS to the previously existing installation reverts the data transmission. The operating
> > > > system may be "aged". Especially Windows
> > > > 95 / Windows 98 and Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use (2-5 years). The
> > > > possible reason for this is that installing several programs mix different files in the
> > > > OS (e.g. .dll files) so that the system functions in an irregular manor
> > > > e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the most important system files e.g.
> > > > by installing the latest version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer may help.
> > > > However, reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the
> > > > system.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
> > > >
> > > > 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
> > > > 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
> > > > 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
> > > > 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The operating
> > > > system reinstalls the drivers.
> > > > 5. Try the IR communication.
> > > >
> > > > If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
> > > > 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
> > > > usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
> > > >
> > > > The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register
> > > > entries in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing features
> > > > in the system you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the Polar USB
> > > > Remover Tool, and after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed instruction and
> > > > the tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase 2003', View
> > > > 'Published\By Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of
> > > > Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR
> > > > Interface for USB port.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
> > > >
> > > > If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please
> > > > provide us with additional system information.
> > > >
> > > > Please perform the following steps:
> > > >
> > > > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> > > > Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row.
> > > > Select File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
> > > >
> > > > Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
> > > >
> > > > If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-
> > > > 0400.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you for choosing Polar.
> > > >
> > > > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
> > > >
> > > > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Feedback from helpdesk page:
> > > >
> > > > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine. I
> > > > have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I have
> > > > used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the Windows
> > > > 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can you
> > > > provide any guidance so I can use your product?"
> > > >
> > > > Name: Scott Lindner
> > > >
> > > > Email: [email protected]
> > > >
> > > > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0" Computer
> > > > type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
> > > >
> > >
> > > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream
> > > name=pic07510.pcx
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > __________________________________
> > > Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.
> > > http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
> > >
> > >
> >
>

Damn.. you had the same problem I had. I think I should start looking for the serial device. :)
Thanks so much for the post.

Scott

> Hmmm, I think it was me that posted about the new software easing their compatibility problems.
>
> Anyway, here is the exchange with Polar that I had to help them narrow
down
> my problems. I am not sure exactly what, in the very extensive summary report, they looked at but
> they reported incompatiblitiy with XP USB implementation. Don't know if that was hardware (i.e.
> motherboard) or software (i.e. XP itself or just USB driver). Whatever it was they were very
> clear that
their
> software would not support USB on my Hewlitt Packard.
>
> >>Dear Sir,
> I can not send you the file you requested because your .013 update locks
up
> my system at the point that it tries to copy the file PolarUSB.sys to my
> c:windows\system32\drivers directory. I have attached the system info
file
> as it stands before the lock up.
>
> mark ----- Original Message ----- From: "Helpdesk" <[email protected]> To: "mark"
> <[email protected]> Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 8:03 AM Subject: Re: S710, IR Interface and
> Windows XP
>
>
> >
> >
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > Thank you for your email. I am sorry to hear that you have trouble with
> Polar
> > products. Could you provide us the system information of your PC? It
would
> help
> > us to assist you further.
> >
> >
> > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> > Accessories - System Tools - System
Information.
> > Then select the System Summary row. Select File - Export to save the whole system information in
> > .txt mode. Email the file as an attachment to us.
> >
> > I am sorry for any inconvenience this problem has caused you.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> >
> > Petri Tsokkinen
> >
> > Technical Support Consultant Polar Electro Oy Finland
>
>
> --
> mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read - Groucho
> Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Yeah.. that's probably the case. I thought someone posted that it will definitely work with any
> > hardware with their latest software. I must
have
> > misinterpreted it.
> >
> > I'm going to ask Polar if any IR device will work or if it has to be the Polar IR device. I hate
> > serial devices. I'd much rather stick with USB
> if
> > I can. I'll post back anything new I learn.
> >
> > BUT.. I appreciate knowing that the serial device will solve my problem
if
> I
> > can't get anything else to work. Thanks for helping.
> >
> > BTW... what hardware did you have the problems on?
> >
> > Scott
> >
> >
> >
> > "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > It sounds like you are going to come to the same conclusion that I
came
> to
> > > earlier: buy the serial connection IR and give away/sell the USB IR to someone
> with
> > a
> > > different/more compatible computer.
> > >
> > > I have no complaints, not one, about the Serial interface. It is
plenty
> > > fast enough works like a charm.
> > >
> > > Good luck.
> > >
> > > --
> > > mark Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it is too dark to read -
> > > Groucho Marx xes out for mail "Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:p[email protected]...
> > > > Thanks for the link Mark. I have also been exchanging emails with
> Polar
> > > > Tech Support. They gave me the same line and suggestion.
> > > >
> > > > I suspect the problem is greater than the norm in my situation. I
> have
> > > done
> > > > everything perfectly and cleanly and it still does not work. For
your
> > > FYI,
> > > > I've included the email exchange between me and Polar to this point.
> So
> > > you
> > > > can see how careful I've been in trying to isolate the problem and
the
> > > > extreme measures I've taken to make sure I'm not doing anything
> stupid.
> > > If
> > > > you find a hole in my method and can think of an alternate approach
> > please
> > > > let me know so I can try it.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers, Scott
> > > >
> > > > ****************************************************
> > > > Email exchange with Polar...
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I followed your instructions and still am having troubles with my
USB
> IR
> > > > device. I've attached my system information as your email
describes.
> > > >
> > > > Here's the detailed information of what I did and the problems I
had.
> > > > 1. I reinstalled the operating system to be sure everything was
> > completely
> > > > clean.
> > > > 2. I applied all updates, patches, latest drivers, etc. for the
> system.
> > > > 3. I installed the PPP SW I received with my Polar HRM. I believe
the
> > > > version is 3.0 and rebooted.
> > > > 4. I downloaded the 4.00.025 version of PPP from your website using
> the
> > > URL
> > > > provided in your email.
> > > > 5. I installed the 4.0 version of the PPP software and rebooted.
> > > > 6. I connected the Polar USB IR device for the first time and
followed
> > the
> > > > recommended option for installing the driver.
> > > > 7. The installation hung when copying the files to install the
driver.
> > I
> > > > let it go for about ten minutes. I then unplugged the Polar USB IR
> > device
> > > > and the installation immediately completed.
> > > > 8. I rebooted the computer.
> > > > 9. I plugged in the USB IR device and checked the Hardware Devices
and
> > it
> > > > showed the Polar USB device installed and there was no exclamation
> mark
> > > near
> > > > it.
> > > > 10. I rebooted the machine leaving the Polar USB IR device
connected.
> > > The
> > > > computer hung during the Windows XP started up. I let it go for a
> > couple
> > > of
> > > > minutes but it did not start. I unplugged the Polar USB IR device
and
> > the
> > > > OS immediately continued and gave me the login screen.
> > > > 11. I reconnected the Polar USB IR device and started the PPP
> software.
> > > It
> > > > would not connect to the Polar USB IR device.
> > > >
> > > > I hope this detailed information will help you assist me with this.
I
> > > know
> > > > the Polar USB IR device works. I have used it for a long time on
> > another
> > > > computer. I can still use it on that computer and it works just
fine.
> > I
> > > > want to retire that computer as it is very old.
> > > >
> > > > Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
> > > >
> > > > Cheers, Scott Lindner
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- [email protected] wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Dear Mr. Lindner,
> > > > >
> > > > > Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in responding to your message.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you are using Polar IR Interface for USB port you need to have the PPP SW
> > > > > 3.02.007 or later in your computer. The drivers for the Polar IR Interface for USB port
> > > > > are installed when installing the Polar Precision Performance software version
> > > > > 3.02.007 or later or running the update file for the version 3.02.007 or later. You
> > > > > can check the version by selecting Help - About. However, it is recommended to use
> > > > > always the latest software version. You can find the update file on the following
> > > > > link:
> > > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
EA5F?OpenDocument
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > NOTE!! When updating or installing the software the Polar IR Interface must NOT be
> > > > > connected to the computer's USB port.
> > > > >
> > > > > After the installation/updating process you can connect the interface. The USB Interface
> > > > > Auto Check function is on by default i.e. if the Polar IR Interface for USB port is
> > > > > connected the software detects it automatically and uses in IR communication.
> > > > >
> > > > > Normal functioning
> > > > >
> > > > > When clicking the HR Monitor Connection button on the toolbar the yellow light inside
> > > > > the Interface should start flashing. Although the light does not flash you can try the
> > > > > communication with the HR monitor; only the led in the Interface may be defective. The
> > > > > IR Communication box is displayed on the computer's screen. On the HR monitor display
> > > > > the Infrared COM text and percentages are shown.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Checking the Polar USB drivers
> > > > >
> > > > > You can check in the Windows Device Manager that the drivers are installed properly.
> > > > > Connect the Interface into the USB port and open the Windows Device Manager
> > > > > e.g. by pressing the Windows key down and then pressing the Pause/Break key. Check that
> > > > > PolarUSB Interface is displayed. Then select Polar USB Interface, right-click and
> > > > > select Properties from the shortcut menu. Check that there is text "This device is
> > > > > working properly" in the Device Status pane on the General page.
> > > > >
> > > > > NOTE!! Any signs e.g. an exclamation mark should not exist in front of the Polar USB
> > > > > Interface text.
> > > > >
> > > > > (Embedded image moved to file: pic07510.pcx)
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Troubleshooting
> > > > >
> > > > > INSTALLATION RELATED ISSUES The Polar IR Interface for USB port should be installed with
> > > > > the instruction in the user manual of the Interface. The most important thing is NOT to
> > > > > have the Interface connected into the USB port when installing/updating the software for
> > > > > the first time to the version that installs the Polar USB drivers i.e. to the version
> > > > > 3.02.007 or later. If the Interface is connected but the Polar USB drivers do not exist in
> > > > > the computer it is necessary to remove the drivers by using Polar USB Remover Tool. You
> > > > > find the detailed instruction and the tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar
> > > > > Knowledgebase 2003', View 'Published\By Product and Type', Document 'How to remove
> > > > > incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to remove
> > > > > incorrectly installed drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port. On Windows 2000 or
> > > > > Windows XP operating systems, the user must have been logged in with administrator rights
> > > > > to install Polar USB drivers to the system. You can install the Polar Precision
> > > > > Performance software with user rights, but the Polar USB drivers will not be installed.
> > > > > When installing/updating the software version 3.02.007 or later without administrator
> > > > > rights to computer's running Windows 2000 or Windows XP the error message "Installation
> > > > > failed" is displayed. However, the software is installed properly and it works without
> > > > > problems, only Polar USB drivers installation has failed. Installing without administrator
> > > > > rights may cause problems later when installing the Polar USB drivers. HARDWARE RELATED
> > > > > ISSUES If the yellow light inside the Interface is not flashing, check that it is
> > > > > connected properly to the USB port. If it is possible, try the communication with another
> > > > > interface unit to ensure that the Interface is not defective. Check that the USB port is
> > > > > not broken, and it is not disabled on computer's BIOS. If the computer has several USB
> > > > > ports try another one. For example, try another port if everything seems to work properly
> > > > > but no data is transferred. Unplugging and then reconnecting the Interface into the USB
> > > > > port may enable the IR communication. If the communication begins to work after
> > > > > replugging, the Interface is defective. In that case, please contact your local
> > > > > distributor to change the Interface. You can find the distributor information from Polar
> > > > > Web site. However, you can use the Interface by unplugging and then replugging it after
> > > > > starting the computer. Although the operating system should handle the devices installed
> > > > > on the same IRQ line, sometimes problems may occur after installing a new device e.g. a
> > > > > modem or a network card. The IRQ lines can be checked on the Device Manager. If the USB
> > > > > port stops working after installing a new device, remove the installation and then
> > > > > reinstall the device. Normally it will be installed on another IRQ line as in the previous
> > > > > installation and the USB port is not interfered by this device. If you have a lot of USB
> > > > > devices installed to your computer they may interfere with the functioning of each other
> > > > > e.g. Polar IR Interface. The USB version for Polar IR Interface should be 1.1. or later.
> > > > > The USB version in the computer can be checked from the computer's manual, for example.
> > > > > However, most of the computers are using the USB version 1.1. or later. The computer is
> > > > > too slow for Polar IR Interface for USB port. The minimum is Pentium 200 MHz. OPERATING
> > > > > SYSTEM RELATED ISSUES Updating the operating system may fix also data transmission
> > > > > problems via computer's USB port. Note that any device e.g. Polar IR Interface should not
> > > > > be connected to the USB port while updating the operating system. Sometimes updating the
> > > > > operating system may also cause problems. If the data transmission is stopped after
> > > > > updating the OS, you can try if resuming the OS to the previously existing installation
> > > > > reverts the data transmission. The operating system may be "aged". Especially Windows
> > > > > 95 / Windows 98 and Windows Me may become "aged" after a long time use (2-5 years). The
> > > > > possible reason for this is that installing several programs mix different files in
> > > > > the OS (e.g. .dll files) so that the system functions in an irregular manor
> > > > > e.g. crashes without any sensible reason. Updating the most important system files e.g.
> > > > > by installing the latest version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer may help.
> > > > > However, reinstalling the whole system is the most effective way to stabilize the
> > > > > system.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Removing and reinstalling the Polar USB drivers
> > > > >
> > > > > 1. Connect the Polar IR Interface for USB port to the computer's USB port.
> > > > > 2. Open the Windows Device Manager and select Polar USB Interface.
> > > > > 3. Click the Remove button. The operating system removes the drivers.
> > > > > 4. Unplug the connector from the USB port and after a while connect it again. The
> > > > > operating system reinstalls the drivers.
> > > > > 5. Try the IR communication.
> > > > >
> > > > > If the communication does not work run the update file for the version PPP SW
> > > > > 3.02.007 or later to install the drivers. The drivers can be installed also by running the
> > > > > usbsetup.exe file in the ...\Polar Precision Performance\USB folder.
> > > > >
> > > > > The removing procedure in the operating system does not remove all components and register
> > > > > entries in the system. If the communication does not work after using the removing
> > > > > features in the system you can remove Polar USB drivers and register entries by using the
> > > > > Polar USB Remover Tool, and after that reinstall the drivers. You find the detailed
> > > > > instruction and the tool from the page (Document link: Database 'Polar Knowledgebase
> > > > > 2003', View 'Published\By Product and Type', Document 'How to remove incorrectly installed
> > > > > drivers of Polar IR Interface for USB port')How to remove incorrectly installed drivers of
> > > > > Polar IR Interface for USB port.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Additional information for Windows XP Home/Professional operating system
> > > > >
> > > > > If the communication does not work after performing these troubleshooting issues, please
> > > > > provide us with additional system information.
> > > > >
> > > > > Please perform the following steps:
> > > > >
> > > > > Connect the Polar IR Interface into the computer's USB port. Select Start - Programs -
> > > > > Accessories - System Tools - System Information. Then select the System Summary row.
> > > > > Select File - Export to save the whole system information in .txt mode.
> > > > >
> > > > > Please email the file as an attachment to us so that we may further assist you.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you continue having difficulty please contact Customer Service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-
> > > > > 0400.
> > > > >
> > > > > Thank you for choosing Polar.
> > > > >
> > > > > Customer Service POLAR ELECTRO INC.
> > > > >
> > > > > [email protected] 2/14/2004 12:42:19 PM
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Feedback from helpdesk page:
> > > > >
> > > > > "I have been having serious troubles getting the IR USB interface to work on this machine.
> > > > > I have reinstalled the operating system numerous times and still cannot get it to work. I
> > > > > have used the USB driver remove tool from your website and each time when I reinstall the
> > > > > Windows 2000 USB driver provided by your software it hangs when installing the driver. Can
> > > > > you provide any guidance so I can use your product?"
> > > > >
> > > > > Name: Scott Lindner
> > > > >
> > > > > Email: [email protected]
> > > > >
> > > > > Product: "IR USB" Serial: "M218900501813" Browser: "Desktop, Windows 2000, IE 6.0"
> > > > > Computer type, Internet browser, Operating system: "4.00.025"
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream
> > > > name=pic07510.pcx
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > __________________________________
> > > > Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.
> > > > http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What if I used a USB to serial
adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online and even the serial devices are very expensive.

Scott

"Scott Lindner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What
if
> I used a USB to serial adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online and even the serial
> devices are very expensive.

Speaking of PC Coach. I just down transfered, from my MS-XP computer, around two years of workout
data onto a CD-R. I then ran the same CD in my MS-98 lap top,,,and nothing. I see the calendar but
there are no workouts showing. I take the same CD back over to my XP computer and the workouts are
there. Maybe I should transfer by email?

Rick Swanger

Hmmm, the interface is about $40, so I am not too sure how much you would save with your interface
adapter. I am not knowledgeable enough to even know if such an adapter would correctly translate the
data being transferred.

--
> I just had a thought to save some money to get this thing working. What
if
> I used a USB to serial adapter on my existing IR device? I looked online and even the serial
> devices are very expensive.
>
> Scott