poles or no poles

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pign9, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Pign9

    Pign9 Guest

    Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do

    Thanks Mully

    Tags:

  2. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, pign9 <[email protected]> writes
    >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    >should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do
    >
    >Thanks Mully

    It depends <g>

    1. How old are you?
    2. How fit are you?
    3. Do you suffer from Arthritis or any joint pains?
    4. What sort of walking do you do?

    I could not climb hills/mountains without them as I suffer badly on the descent, each step down
    jarring my knees. I use the poles to lever myself down gently.

    For me, one is nowhere near as good: I had to lend one on a downward run last year and I
    found out then!

    But spend the least you can. There is no advantage in sprung poles unless you are sprint-walking on
    the level.

    Bernard Hill Braeburn Software Author of Music Publisher system Music Software written by musicians
    for musicians http://www.braeburn.co.uk Selkirk, Scotland

  3. Alan Coles

    Alan Coles Guest

    "Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, pign9 <[email protected]> writes
    > >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets
    there
    > >advantage and how much should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will
    > >just one do
    > >
    > >Thanks Mully
    > >

    > It depends <g>
    >
    > 1. How old are you?
    > 2. How fit are you?
    > 3. Do you suffer from Arthritis or any joint pains?
    > 4. What sort of walking do you do?
    >
    > I could not climb hills/mountains without them as I suffer badly on the descent, each step down
    > jarring my knees. I use the poles to lever myself down gently.
    >
    > For me, one is nowhere near as good: I had to lend one on a downward run last year and I found
    > out then!
    >
    > But spend the least you can. There is no advantage in sprung poles unless you are sprint-walking
    > on the level.

    My 1st use of a pole today - think Bernard has it spot on! I am in my middle 40ts but have a bit of
    knee problems from playing football many years ago and also I prefer uphills to going down them and
    found it helped. I went around the side of a hill today with uneven ground below me and it deffo
    helped me.

  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    pign9 <[email protected]> wrote
    >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    >should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do

    I use one, occasionally. A pole in my left hand is an encumbrance AFAIAC, others differ. :)

    I was glad of it for the last couple of strolls around my local pimple, which had a covering of
    packed snow and ice, as an aid against slipping, especially with both camera and decent binoculars
    hung round my neck!
    --
    Gordon

  5. "Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:> But spend the least you can. There
    is no advantage in sprung poles
    > unless you are sprint-walking on the level.

    I find the sprung pole (I only use one) saves stress on my wrist and thumb joints where arthritis
    is making inroads. If I use a pole with no give, the joints take the shock and after an hour or so,
    I'm hurting.

  6. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Do your poles not have a wrist strap. I usually find that most of my weight is taken by the strap
    and the fingers and hand just hold the grip of the pole. Only real time I put any weight onto my
    hands is if I'm reaching down and have the palms of my hands on top of the poles.

    Mike Mason

    "john goldfine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:> But spend the least you can. There
    > is no advantage in sprung poles
    > > unless you are sprint-walking on the level.
    > >

    > I find the sprung pole (I only use one) saves stress on my wrist and thumb joints where arthritis
    > is making inroads. If I use a pole with no give,
    the
    > joints take the shock and after an hour or so, I'm hurting.

  7. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/2/04 4:25 pm, in article [email protected], "pign9"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    > should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do

    Poles are definitely a good thing, especially as you get older ands your knees begin to feel the
    strain. I only started using one a couple of summers ago and then, last year, started using two. Two
    poles are superb and are especially useful when coming down hill. Indeed, I wouldn't like to think
    what some of last year's walking would have been like without poles.

  8. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:25:15 +0000 (UTC), pign9 wrote:

    >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    >should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do

    Let me see. The three peaks and now poles. All you need are GPS and digital cameras to complete
    the set. :)

    Have a look at Pete's Poles Page at http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

    Then if you still think tou need them buy a cheap pair to see if you get on with them.

    I suggest the Approach BX1 at £21 a pair from here http://www.three-peaks.com/shop/2/47/

  9. pign9 wrote:

    > Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money,

    For hill walking, yes you should buy some, they are not a waste of money.

    > whets there advantage

    Going uphill - you set the poles to short length and you use your arms to help pull you up the hill.
    Helps build up your arm muscles and takes the strain off leg muscles and knees, so your legs last
    much longer into the walk before getting tired.

    Going downhill - you set the poles to long length and place them in front of you, leaning forward as
    you walk. This helps you walk faster with a more natural stride and reduces the knee jarring effect
    as you take each step. In other words, you let the poles take your weight instead of your knees.
    Many years of steep descents without poles can wreck your knees.

    On the flat - not much use at all. Shorten them and stick them in your pack.

    On rough or slippery ground - very good for maintaining balance and helping you to stop falling
    over. Very handy if carrying a heavy rucksack, helps to prevent twisted ankles.

    Other uses - checking the depth of bogs before walking through them, defending yourself against wild
    dogs, sticking into the spokes of passing cyclists, doubles as a monopod with a camera (if you get
    one with a screw off handle) and many more.

    > and how much should I spend,

    Whatever they cost.

    > Also do I need two or will just one do

    Two are way better than one, a lot more than twice as good. With two poles you can keep one on the
    ground at all times for constant support, with one you only get intermittent support, and your
    walking is not balanced. With two you can set up a very nice walking rhythm, once you get the hang
    of it. Now that I've started using two I'd never go back to using only one, the difference is much
    bigger than you'd think.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  10. Richard B

    Richard B Guest

    "Bernard Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, pign9 <[email protected]> writes
    > >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets
    there
    > >advantage and how much should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will
    > >just one do
    > >
    > >Thanks Mully
    > >

    > It depends <g>
    >
    > 1. How old are you?
    > 2. How fit are you?
    > 3. Do you suffer from Arthritis or any joint pains?
    > 4. What sort of walking do you do?
    >
    > I could not climb hills/mountains without them as I suffer badly on the descent, each step down
    > jarring my knees. I use the poles to lever myself down gently.
    >
    > For me, one is nowhere near as good: I had to lend one on a downward run last year and I found
    > out then!
    >
    > But spend the least you can. There is no advantage in sprung poles unless you are sprint-walking
    > on the level.
    A couple of months ago I asked a similar question of this ng. Following the advice I made a couple
    of poles for my companion and myself. We tried them out today and using one pole the up hills were
    definitely easier. Using both poles the down hills were a doddle. My knees feel fine and a similar
    walk without poles would have been almost impossible, 17 km walk today highest point 1917 metres
    ascent 375 metres Richard

    > Bernard Hill Braeburn Software Author of Music Publisher system Music Software written by
    > musicians for musicians http://www.braeburn.co.uk Selkirk, Scotland

  11. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mike Mason
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Do your poles not have a wrist strap. I usually find that most of my weight is taken by the strap
    >and the fingers and hand just hold the grip of the pole. Only real time I put any weight onto my
    >hands is if I'm reaching down and have the palms of my hands on top of the poles.

    Exactly my experience too. But John did say wrists too and I imagine that could be a strain point.

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  12. Steve Jones

    Steve Jones Guest

    > Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets there advantage and how much
    > should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will just one do
    >
    > Thanks Mully

    Used to think they were for wimps, not for rufty tufty outdoor types like me. That was until I
    actually tried them. Now I find coming down steep slopes no more taxing on my poor knackered old
    knees than walking down the stairs at home. You can use your arms to spread the effort going uphill
    with a heavy pack. They add stability when crossing uneven ground and are also invaluable for
    testing boggy ground before commiting your weight to a soggy patch. They could have also been used
    in a defensive capacity against what might have been a rabid, uncontrolable Tasmanian Devil
    sheepdog, had it not kept snoring blissfully as I tiptoed trepidatiously by. To quote Mr M Python -
    If there's one thing I couldn't manage without on the hills, its my trekking poles and Thermarest -
    No that's two. OK if theres two things I couldn't manage without in the hills its my trekking poles,
    Thermarest and compass. - No hold on that's 3, etc etc

    Steve Jones

  13. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On 28 Feb 2004 15:57:41 -0800, Steve Jones wrote:

    >To quote Mr M Python - If there's one thing I couldn't manage without on the hills, its my trekking
    >poles and Thermarest - No that's two.

    Err three actually. :)

  14. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    That would be one very large sack to carry all that though.

    Mike Mason

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:25:15 +0000 (UTC), pign9 wrote:
    >
    > >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of money, whets
    there
    > >advantage and how much should I spend, been looking at Some Leki's, Also do I need two or will
    > >just one do
    >
    > Let me see. The three peaks and now poles. All you need are GPS and digital cameras to complete
    > the set. :)
    >
    > Have a look at Pete's Poles Page at http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm
    >
    > Then if you still think tou need them buy a cheap pair to see if you get on with them.
    >
    > I suggest the Approach BX1 at £21 a pair from here http://www.three-peaks.com/shop/2/47/
    >
    > --
    > Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  15. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/2/04 9:09 pm, in article [email protected], "Paul
    Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Other uses - checking the depth of bogs before walking through them, defending yourself against
    > wild dogs, sticking into the spokes of passing cyclists, doubles as a monopod with a camera (if
    > you get one with a screw off handle) and many more.

    Not to be under-estimated these - on any count!

  16. "Mike Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do your poles not have a wrist strap.

    Cane grip--the strap doesn't glue one's hand to the pole, as with a straight pole.

  17. Therebel

    Therebel Guest

    you can get poles that mount DIGITAL CAMERAS YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

  18. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...

    > you can get poles that mount DIGITAL CAMERAS YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Is that legal?

    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  19. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Yes providing they are used by consenting adults.

    Mike Mason

    "Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] said...
    > >
    > > you can get poles that mount DIGITAL CAMERAS YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Is that legal?
    >
    > --
    > Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  20. Usenet

    Usenet Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, pign9
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Poles, should I buy some or are they a useless waste of
    >money

    Chap has a lovely range of hiking/walking sticks, bought a
    decent hiking stick (you know, the kind that comes up to
    your armpit) made of Irish blackthorn with a stag-horn
    handle for about 60UKP. Didn't like/want one of those things
    they sell that looks like something the Ski-Pole
    Manufacturers dreamt up at a sales brain-storming event.

    Uses - well I've used it for a year and found it useful for
    getting me over stiles, up and down hills, testing the depth
    of streams, keeping between me and dogs, it possibly
    improves my breathing, it gives a nice counter-point rhythm
    to the walk, it makes me feel like Charlton Heston or any
    other OT prophet as I walk into town after a walk, and it
    will probably last longer than me

    Downsides - tripping myself up, where to put it on in a
    small car, train or bus-seat, remembering to take it with me
    from the aforementioned car/train/bus, doesn't collapse so
    cannot take it on planes (I presume).

    Martin

    --
    Martin @ Strawberry Hill