Police cruiser kills bicyclist

# Subject: Two bicylists killed by deputy on Stevens Cayon Road

# http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728

# Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's vehicle in Cupertino
# By Leslie Griffy Mercury News <[email protected]?subject=San
# Jose Mercury News: Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's
# vehicle in Cupertino> Article Launched: 03/09/2008 12:21:11 PM PDT

# Click photo to enlarge

http://www.mercurynews.com/portlet/...jsp?articleId=8513728&siteId=568&startImage=1

# A group of Santa Clara County Sheriff's investigators gather on Stevens
# Canyon Road... (Josie Lepe)

# - « <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>
# - 1 <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>
# - 2 <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>
# - 3 <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>
# - 4 <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>
# - » <http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728?nclick_check=1#>

# Two bicyclists were killed when a Santa Clara County sheriff's
# patrol car crossed the double-yellow line on Stevens Canyon Road in
# Cupertino and hit a group of riders shortly before 10:30
# a.m. Sunday.

# The crash on a beautiful Sunday morning left the local cycling
# community as the sheriff's department shaken.

# "It's just horrible," said Mike Riepe of San Jose, after hauling his
# mountain bike up a trail near the crash site.

# The opportunities for hill climbing and downhill coasting along
# Stevens Canyon make the road tempting for cyclists. So on Sunday
# morning four cyclists training for an event decided to give the
# hills a shot. The group collided with the deputy's car while the
# deputy was on a routine patrol in the area, Sgt. Don Morrissey said.

# Coming around a corner, near a straight-away, the deputy
# accidentally crossed the center line and struck the group. He called
# for help and immediately began CPR on one of the fallen cyclists,
# Morrissey said.

# Two cyclists, a 29-year-old San Francisco man and a 30-year-old
# Oakland woman, died. A 20-year-old man was seriously injured, CHP
# officer Todd Thibodeau said. The fourth rider was not hurt.

# Sunday's accident rattled the whole department, Morrissey said. The
# deputy involved in the crash will be placed on administrative leave
# until the investigation is complete. He's been on the force for
# about a year and half.

# "He's taking it very hard," Morrissey said. "The whole department is
# saddened."

# Fatal crashes are rare for the sheriff's department, even though
# deputies often drive as many as 200 miles in a single shift,
# Morrissey said.

# The last fatal crash involving a sheriff's patrol car happened in
# 1994, when a deputy trying to keep a suspect from running struck and
# killed the man near the intersection of West San Carlos and Bascom
# Avenue. The deputy was cleared of wrongdoing.

# On a good weekend, thousands of cyclists cruise the winding road
# leading to Stevens Creek Reservoir, said cyclist Steve Paterson, 49,
# of Cupertino, as he was turned away from a road block near Ricardo
# Road set up because of the crash.

# "There are so many rides up here," he said. "Club rides, sponsored
# rides, groups of friends."

# It's unclear whether the cyclists involved in the crash were riding
# as part of larger group, Morrissey said.

# Local cyclists noted that riders in large groups will sometimes ride
# two-abreast. The practice is not illegal but can be extremely
# dangerous on narrow, winding roads with a large amount of traffic.

# It was unclear if the cyclists involved in this crash were doing so,
# Thibodeau said. But cyclists said they've seen dangerous behavior
# from those on both two-wheels and four.

# "I've seen bicyclists who ride crazy," Paterson said. "And I've seen
# cars that go too fast."

# In 1996, cyclist Jeffrey Steinwedel, 46, died on Stevens Canyon Road
# just up the road from Sunday's crash when a quarry driver struck him
# as he took a winter ride. The driver, Jon Nisby, was sentenced to a
# year in jail.

# The CHP is asking anyone who witnessed the crash to call (408)
# 467-5354, ext. 337.

# ------------------------------
# *Contact Leslie Griffy at [email protected] or (408) 920-5945.*
--
Jobst Brandt

On Mar 10, 12:15 am, [email protected] wrote:
> [...]
> # two-abreast. The practice is not illegal but can be extremely
> # dangerous on narrow, winding roads with a large amount of traffic.
>
> # It was unclear if the cyclists involved in this crash were doing so,
> # Thibodeau said. But cyclists said they've seen dangerous behavior
> # from those on both two-wheels and four.
>
> # "I've seen bicyclists who ride crazy," Paterson said. "And I've seen
> # cars that go too fast."
>
> # In 1996, cyclist Jeffrey Steinwedel, 46, died on Stevens Canyon Road
> # just up the road from Sunday's crash when a quarry driver struck him
> # as he took a winter ride. The driver, Jon Nisby, was sentenced to a
> # year in jail.
>
> # The CHP is asking anyone who witnessed the crash to call (408)
> # 467-5354, ext. 337.
>
> #  ------------------------------
> # *Contact Leslie Griffy at [email protected] or (408) 920-5945.*

jeezus----- something that should never ever have happened-
condolences to the families and those that knew them

On Mar 9, 10:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> [...]
> # two-abreast. The practice is not illegal but can be extremely
> # dangerous on narrow, winding roads with a large amount of traffic.
>
> # It was unclear if the cyclists involved in this crash were doing so,
> # Thibodeau said. But cyclists said they've seen dangerous behavior
> # from those on both two-wheels and four.
>
> # "I've seen bicyclists who ride crazy," Paterson said. "And I've seen
> # cars that go too fast."
>
> # In 1996, cyclist Jeffrey Steinwedel, 46, died on Stevens Canyon Road
> # just up the road from Sunday's crash when a quarry driver struck him
> # as he took a winter ride. The driver, Jon Nisby, was sentenced to a
> # year in jail.
>
> # The CHP is asking anyone who witnessed the crash to call (408)
> # 467-5354, ext. 337.
>
> #  ------------------------------
> # *Contact Leslie Griffy at [email protected] or (408) 920-5945.*

Have they posted names yet? I know a 29yo cyclist from SF.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

# http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8513728

# Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's vehicle in Cupertino
# By Leslie Griffy Mercury News <[email protected]?subject=San
# Jose Mercury News: Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's
# vehicle in Cupertino> Article Launched: 03/09/2008 12:21:11 PM PDT
Jobst Brandt

My heart sunk when I saw this front page of the Mercury.
-tom

Thanks for posting this Jobst. What a terrible tragedy.

However we should rebut the statement that riding two abreast on a
mountain road is dangerous. Apparently this accident was entirely the
fault of the driver who crossed the center line. He could just as easily
have hit another motor vehicle if not the cyclists. We must not let this
newspaper leave the impression that the cyclists were doing anything wrong
or imprudent by being where they were.

Matt O.

This phrase jumped out off the page:

"The group collided with the deputy's car while the deputy was on a
routine patrol..." (Mercury News, and others)

A quick search shows most news reports headline the story as "Cyclist(s)
Killed in Crash With Deputy" which is an odd way to describe "Squad Car
Crushes & Kills Cyclist(s)"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mar 10, 3:25 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> # *Contact Leslie Griffy at [email protected] or (408) 920-5945.

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
> > Thanks for posting this Jobst. What a terrible tragedy.
> > However we should rebut the statement that riding two abreast on a
> > mountain road is dangerous. Apparently this accident was entirely the
> > fault of the driver who crossed the center line. He could just as easily
> > have hit another motor vehicle if not the cyclists. We must not let this
> > newspaper leave the impression that the cyclists were doing anything wrong
> > or imprudent by being where they were.

> This phrase jumped out off the page:
>
> "The group collided with the deputy's car while the deputy was on a
> routine patrol..." (Mercury News, and others)
>
> A quick search shows most news reports headline the story as "Cyclist(s)
> Killed in Crash With Deputy" which is an odd way to describe "Squad Car

Agreed, Language is a powerful weapon. Next thing they will say
that "officer was frantically trying to avoid collision with a gang
of aggressive bikers. Autopsy shows that the cyclists were on drugs"
Speaking of which - cops drink. And they drive recklessly. I wrecked
my car because cop that was going to non-emergency situation decided
to turn on his signal and suddenly turn left in front of the traffic.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> Thanks for posting this Jobst. What a terrible tragedy.
>> However we should rebut the statement that riding two abreast on a
>> mountain road is dangerous. Apparently this accident was entirely the
>> fault of the driver who crossed the center line. He could just as easily
>> have hit another motor vehicle if not the cyclists. We must not let this
>> newspaper leave the impression that the cyclists were doing anything
>> wrong
>> or imprudent by being where they were.

> This phrase jumped out off the page:
>
> "The group collided with the deputy's car while the deputy was on a
> routine patrol..." (Mercury News, and others)
>
> A quick search shows most news reports headline the story as "Cyclist(s)
> Killed in Crash With Deputy" which is an odd way to describe "Squad Car

Exactly. Did the cyclists cross the center line and run into the cop with
the donut stuffed in his face behind the wheel? Nah. The cop car crossed
the center line and mowed down the cyclists. The local paper get their
blotter from their local P.D., so they are in their bag.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:29:19 -0400, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage
Edition ®" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> A quick search shows most news reports headline the story as "Cyclist(s)
>> Killed in Crash With Deputy" which is an odd way to describe "Squad Car
>> Crushes & Kills Cyclist(s)"
>> --
>> Andrew Muzi
>> www.yellowjersey.org
>> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>Exactly. Did the cyclists cross the center line and run into the cop with
>the donut stuffed in his face behind the wheel? Nah. The cop car crossed
>the center line and mowed down the cyclists. The local paper get their
>blotter from their local P.D., so they are in their bag.

Reporters get a lot of their information from cops, so some of them go
along for the ride. The smaller the town, the less aggressive the
headlines (unless there's a local feud).

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> [...]

> Matt O'Toole wrote:
>> Thanks for posting this Jobst. What a terrible tragedy.
>> However we should rebut the statement that riding two abreast on a
>> mountain road is dangerous. Apparently this accident was entirely the
>> fault of the driver who crossed the center line. He could just as easily
>> have hit another motor vehicle if not the cyclists. We must not let this
>> newspaper leave the impression that the cyclists were doing anything
>> wrong
>> or imprudent by being where they were.

> This phrase jumped out off the page:
>
> "The group collided with the deputy's car while the deputy was on a
> routine patrol..." (Mercury News, and others)
>
> A quick search shows most news reports headline the story as "Cyclist(s)
> Killed in Crash With Deputy" which is an odd way to describe "Squad Car

"Who watches the watchers?" - Juvenal

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks for posting this Jobst. What a terrible tragedy.
>
> However we should rebut the statement that riding two abreast on a
> mountain road is dangerous. Apparently this accident was entirely
> the fault of the driver who crossed the center line. He could just
> as easily have hit another motor vehicle if not the cyclists. We
> must not let this newspaper leave the impression that the cyclists
> were doing anything wrong or imprudent by being where they were.

And two abreast on a road with what appears to be a full ten foot paved
shoulder on both sides, from the photos. You could ride three abreast
comfortably and still have all the riders on the shoulder.

> # On a good weekend, thousands of cyclists cruise the winding road
> # leading to Stevens Creek Reservoir, said cyclist Steve Paterson, 49,
> # of Cupertino, as he was turned away from a road block near Ricardo
> # Road set up because of the crash.
>
> # "There are so many rides up here," he said. "Club rides, sponsored
> # rides, groups of friends."
>
> # It's unclear whether the cyclists involved in the crash were riding
> # as part of larger group, Morrissey said.
>
> # Local cyclists noted that riders in large groups will sometimes ride
> # two-abreast. The practice is not illegal but can be extremely
> # dangerous on narrow, winding roads with a large amount of traffic.
>
> # It was unclear if the cyclists involved in this crash were doing so,
> # Thibodeau said. But cyclists said they've seen dangerous behavior
> # from those on both two-wheels and four.
>
> # "I've seen bicyclists who ride crazy," Paterson said. "And I've seen
> # cars that go too fast."

This is so unnecessary and so out of place that it
qualifies as lying, and pandering to bigotry and hate.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> # On a good weekend, thousands of cyclists cruise the winding road
>> # leading to Stevens Creek Reservoir, said cyclist Steve Paterson, 49,
>> # of Cupertino, as he was turned away from a road block near Ricardo
>> # Road set up because of the crash.
>>
>> # "There are so many rides up here," he said. "Club rides, sponsored
>> # rides, groups of friends."
>>
>> # It's unclear whether the cyclists involved in the crash were riding
>> # as part of larger group, Morrissey said.
>>
>> # Local cyclists noted that riders in large groups will sometimes ride
>> # two-abreast. The practice is not illegal but can be extremely
>> # dangerous on narrow, winding roads with a large amount of traffic.
>>
>> # It was unclear if the cyclists involved in this crash were doing so,
>> # Thibodeau said. But cyclists said they've seen dangerous behavior
>> # from those on both two-wheels and four.
>>
>> # "I've seen bicyclists who ride crazy," Paterson said. "And I've seen
>> # cars that go too fast."

> This is so unnecessary and so out of place that it
> qualifies as lying, and pandering to bigotry and hate.

The above response contains so many indefinite references I have no clue
to what Michael Press is talking about.

On Mar 9, 10:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> # Subject: Two bicylists killed by deputy on Stevens Cayon Road
>

> # Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's vehicle in Cupertino
> # By Leslie Griffy Mercury News <[email protected]?subject=San
> # Jose Mercury News: Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's
> # vehicle in Cupertino> Article Launched: 03/09/2008 12:21:11 PM PDT
>
> [snip]
>
> # Coming around a corner, near a straight-away, the deputy
> # accidentally crossed the center line and struck the group. He called
> # for help and immediately began CPR on one of the fallen cyclists,
> # Morrissey said.

From today's Contra Costa Times:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8531046?nclick_check=1

Riders' deaths rattle cyclists in Bay Area
By Denis C. Theriault, Joe Rodriguez and Leslie Griffy

MEDIANEWS STAFF
Article Launched: 03/11/2008 03:04:25 AM PDT

SAN JOSE -- There was no screech, no bang -- no noise to warn
bicyclist Daniel Brasse
what was coming around the corner Sunday morning on Stevens Canyon
Road.

A Santa Clara County sheriff's patrol car was facing the wrong way on
the wrong side of
the road after slamming into a group of Brasse's riding partners. A
deputy was walking
around in a daze, later telling at least two witnesses that he had
fallen asleep.

One of Brasse's friends, Matt Peterson, 30, was already dead. Another,
Christopher Knapp,
20, was writhing in agony, with two limbs broken. And the third, 31-
year-old Kristianna Gough,
her leg severed and her head bleeding, was gasping for air.

As he pedaled toward the gruesome scene, all Brasse could hear were
screams.

"Screams of pain," he said, his voice cracking.

{snip]

Wait! I thought the deputy was performing CPR according to the
earlier version? Yet here, he's walking around in a daze? The
article goes on to mention how another deputy tells the deputy
involved "don't talk to these people" and leads him to her patrol
car. Spin by the Sheriff's department?

Tom Young

Dans le message de
TomYoung <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On Mar 9, 10:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> # Subject: Two bicylists killed by deputy on Stevens Cayon Road
>>

>> # Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's vehicle in Cupertino
>> # By Leslie Griffy Mercury News <[email protected]?subject=San
>> # Jose Mercury News: Two bicyclists struck and killed by sheriff's
>> # vehicle in Cupertino> Article Launched: 03/09/2008 12:21:11 PM PDT
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> # Coming around a corner, near a straight-away, the deputy
>> # accidentally crossed the center line and struck the group. He
>> called # for help and immediately began CPR on one of the fallen
>> cyclists, # Morrissey said.

> From today's Contra Costa Times:
>
> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8531046?nclick_check=1
>
> Riders' deaths rattle cyclists in Bay Area
> By Denis C. Theriault, Joe Rodriguez and Leslie Griffy
>
> MEDIANEWS STAFF
> Article Launched: 03/11/2008 03:04:25 AM PDT
>

> SAN JOSE -- There was no screech, no bang -- no noise to warn
> bicyclist Daniel Brasse
> what was coming around the corner Sunday morning on Stevens Canyon
> Road.
>
> A Santa Clara County sheriff's patrol car was facing the wrong way on
> the wrong side of
> the road after slamming into a group of Brasse's riding partners. A
> deputy was walking
> around in a daze, later telling at least two witnesses that he had
> fallen asleep.
>
> One of Brasse's friends, Matt Peterson, 30, was already dead. Another,
> Christopher Knapp,
> 20, was writhing in agony, with two limbs broken. And the third, 31-
> year-old Kristianna Gough,
> her leg severed and her head bleeding, was gasping for air.
>
> As he pedaled toward the gruesome scene, all Brasse could hear were
> screams.
>
> "Screams of pain," he said, his voice cracking.
>
> {snip]
>
> Wait! I thought the deputy was performing CPR according to the
> earlier version? Yet here, he's walking around in a daze? The
> article goes on to mention how another deputy tells the deputy
> involved "don't talk to these people" and leads him to her patrol
> car. Spin by the Sheriff's department?
>
> Tom Young

Another amateur Perry Mason in the works.
How about letting this go.
You add nothing to the solace the community needs.
You bring no critical view that is not third hand.
Learn just to say NO.
--
Sandy
--

TomYoung wrote:

> Wait! I thought the deputy was performing CPR according to the
> earlier version? Yet here, he's walking around in a daze? The
> article goes on to mention how another deputy tells the deputy
> involved "don't talk to these people" and leads him to her patrol
> car. Spin by the Sheriff's department?

No doubt.

> Another amateur Perry Mason in the works.
> How about letting this go.
> You add nothing to the solace the community needs.
> You bring no critical view that is not third hand.
> Learn just to say NO.
> --
> Sandy
> --
> "Manners are of more importance than laws.
> Upon them, in a great measure, the laws depend.
> Manners are what vex or soothe,
> corrupt or purify, exalt or debase,
> barbarize or refine us, by a constant,
> steady, uniform, insensible operation
> like that of the air we breathe in."
> E. Burke

You should read your own sig. Ad hominem remarks are among the most
offensive behaviors while holding your tongue, though difficult, is
often the epitome of grace and good manners. Just learn to say NO.

Tom Young

Dans le message de
TomYoung <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>> Another amateur Perry Mason in the works.
>> How about letting this go.
>> You add nothing to the solace the community needs.
>> You bring no critical view that is not third hand.
>> Learn just to say NO.
>> --
>> Sandy
>> --
>> "Manners are of more importance than laws.
>> Upon them, in a great measure, the laws depend.
>> Manners are what vex or soothe,
>> corrupt or purify, exalt or debase,
>> barbarize or refine us, by a constant,
>> steady, uniform, insensible operation
>> like that of the air we breathe in."
>> E. Burke

> You should read your own sig. Ad hominem remarks are among the most
> offensive behaviors while holding your tongue, though difficult, is
> often the epitome of grace and good manners. Just learn to say NO.
>
> Tom Young

What you wrote (and cut) was uninformed scandalmongering which treated the
subject only to elevate your pretentious position of wunderkind
investigator. Ad hominem is not what you think it is. But this could turn
into infinite regression. Feel free to pen the obvious any time.
--
Sandy