Police in London attack critical mass

Jim Ley wrote:

> That was the only question worth answering in the discussion of
> cyclists deliberately cycling on pavements, if you want to purely play
> silly buggers and compare stupid things in an attempt to mislead
> people, then I think it shows that you don't have any genuine
> arguments to support your position.

Don't worry, jim. that is Ians's stock in trade. don't take it personally

pk

> I personally know at least 4 cyclists who have been killed by dangerous
> drivers, the last one only a few months ago- a female member of my
> local CTC group who was killed by 'boy racers' through no fault of her
> own whilst cycling to work.

One can not extrapolate mational trends from your personal experiences. Sad
though it is to have personal knowledge of four cyclists it is far from
typical and not much different from me knowing four victims of murder.

>You seem to be remarkably lucky in your
> cycling experiences as I am sure many on here could give you a whole
> catalogue of willfully aggressive driving they have encountered.

No. I'd suggest that my experienecs are more typical of the cyclist
nationwide. I don't deny for one moment that aggressive acts take place but
that their frequency is disproportionatlely represented by a vociferous
minority of cyclists.

> couple of years ago I was seriously injured by a 'hit and run' driver
> who tried to overtake me and turn left at the same time. There were
> plenty of independent witnesses, the police found out who the driver
> was, found he was driving whilst disqualified and then did sod all, not
> even trying to interview the driver for 4 weeks. He wasn't in when they
> called and they never bothered going back. I am sure plenty of people
> on here could tell similar tales.

I can not comment on your personal set of circumstances and I'd be very
surprised to

> As to why some might actually get a little bit peeved about the
> treatment cyclists receive on the road look here:
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/justice.html

Four instances and still I suggest that these are not representative of
every day behaviour. Injustices may have occurred but their effects are
localised and are not a national trait. The victims have every right to feel
aggrieved but please....anger by proxy????

I have had folk angry on my behalf claiming that society and justice hve
dealt a raw hand to the community to which I belong, they don't know me,they
don't know the community, they don't know the law yet they claim the rigfht
to represent my interests....sorry if I want representing I'd select my own
representative. Some folk have a misguided sense of justice and to be
honest they'd be better off channelling their energys into something more
beneficial and preferably abroad.

> and here:
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/current.html

The above appears to be nothing more than an anti car rant with very little
relevance to cyclists

> > Cyclist seem to want to have their cake and eat it. Demanding safer

routes
> > yet dismissing Sustrans' efforts out of hand. Improved safety yet
> > dismissing cycling helmets out of hand.

> I know no one who dismissed well designed purpose built cycle routes
> 'out of hand'. The usual inconvenient and downright dangerous 'cycle
> facility' designed by car drivers will the aim of getting cyclists 'out
> of the way' of drivers are another matter altogether...

Scan back through u.r.c. postings and you'll find them.......
Getting cyclists 'out of the way'...whose assertion is that?

> If you think cycle helmets= safety you are sadly misguided. Cycle
> helmets can only do what they are constructed and designed to do-
> protect the wearer against cuts and mild concussion in simple low
> speed falls under 12 Mph or so.

And there's a lot of cyclists peddling at that speed......

>Cycle helmet promotion is for the most
> part a smokescreen used by the car-centric to divert attention away
> from the sort of measures which would genuinely improve cyclists
> safety,

Another instance of cyclists' conspiracy theory :)

such as more widespread use of properly enforced 20 Mph limits
> and so on.

I've no quibble with a 20mph limit...I might actually get to work faster in
my if traffic slowed down.

> > If cyclists put their own
> > house in order before seeking justice and fair play through properly
> > organised protests and representations then they'd have a stronger claim

> > the moral high ground.

> Maybe so but cyclists and, at least historically, pedestrians, have for
> 100 years or so being campaigning for better treatement in the courts
> and so on to no avail. For example look at this from 1947
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/JSDean.html

You can quote historical fact 'til you are blue in the face, it isn't going
to change the present one jot.
Life for the cyclist is still good out there. The statistics are still in
the cyclists favour. It's widely reported that the risks of a premature
demise are greatly outweighed by the health benefits and increased life
span. The average cyclist would have to cycle a prodigious number of miles
before have a serious accident. The fact that some cyclists known to you
have had serious and or fatal accidents does not undermine the safety or
benefits bestowed upon cyclists throughout the country.

> I don't think it is amatter of claiming 'the moral high ground' in any
> case, just calling for justice where it is due.

Campaign against the law then and not against the motorist.

On Sat, 8 Oct, p.k. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jim Ley wrote:
> >
> > That was the only question worth answering in the discussion of
> > cyclists deliberately cycling on pavements, if you want to purely play
> > silly buggers and compare stupid things in an attempt to mislead
> > people, then I think it shows that you don't have any genuine
> > arguments to support your position.

> Don't worry, jim. that is Ians's stock in trade. don't take it personally

What? Answering the question asked, rather than a different question?
Basing the discussion on what the other person actually said, rather
than what I think they might have said had they said something
different?

You'll also find I have the shockingly bad habit of writing what I
mean. Sometimes I even assume that if someone says something they
actually mean it!

Of course, you higher beings that actually conduct the conversation by
telepathy, whilst typing and transmitting something different are
bound to find this confusing.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

vernon wrote:

> > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/justice.html

> Four instances and still I suggest that these are not representative of
> every day behaviour. Injustices may have occurred but their effects are
> localised and are not a national trait.

Sorry Vernon, you are talking total rot. The above instances were
chosen largely because the illustrate important points about the way
the law is interpreted in the UK. I could add hundreds of similar ones.
The degree of injustice in the case of road killings and injuries is
such that The House of Commons Transport Committee produced a report on
this as part of the 2003-2004 session called 'Traffic Law and its
Enforcement'. This reported

'a tendency to treat serious incidents as "nobody's fault" or
even to blame the victim; a belief it was not appropriate for motorists
to take as much care when driving a motor vehicle as they would when
undertaking other activities which might endanger the public; a justice
system which frequently did not take into account the consequences of a
crash; and a disregard for the victims and their families.'

'our witnesses had no confidence that the police would properly
investigate cases in which harm had been caused, particularly when
vulnerable road users had been injured. We were given instances of
cases in which it was alleged that the police had automatically assumed
that a cyclist or pedestrian, rather than a driver, was at fault; in
which evidence and witness statements were not promptly collected; and
in which police could not be persuaded to take an interest even though,
in some cases, serious injury had occurred.'

Etc. etc. etc.

Many other reports have highlighted the failings of the British
'Justice' system with regards driving crime. In 1994 the European
Federation of Road Traffic Victims (EFRTV) conducted a systematic study
of the plight of road traffic victims involving nearly 10,000 families
across Europe. British victims expressing the lowest satisfaction of
all with 97% of the bereaved and 100% of those disabled in a car crash
due to the actions of a third party feeling they had been denied
criminal justice.

Again, the CTC can hardly be dismissed as a bunch of radicals and yet
thier view on the British 'justice' system is that 'the real issue is
the number of cyclists who are killed or injured every day by
motorists; the insurance companies that refuse to accept their
responsibilities and the courts that hand out derisory sentences to
those responsible for crashes involving cyclists.'

('Cycle Touring and Campaigning' October/November 2002)

The trends are national and not 'localised'. Even 'localised' trends
are so widespread that they cannot be dismissed lightly. For example in
many areas including Manchester, Liverpool and Hull over half of all
crashes causing death or serious injury result in the driver committing
a 'hit and run' offence. You might try to dismiss these a 'localised'
trends but over a million people live in just those areas above.

> > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/current.html

> The above appears to be nothing more than an anti car rant with very little
> relevance to cyclists

Anti car rant? It is just the reproduction of newspaper reports of road
killings! It is telling when the presentation of such plain facts is
seen as being 'anti-car'. The reports have much relevance to cyclists
as many of the stories report the deaths of cyclists!

> > I know no one who dismissed well designed purpose built cycle routes
> > 'out of hand'. The usual inconvenient and downright dangerous 'cycle
> > facility' designed by car drivers will the aim of getting cyclists 'out
> > of the way' of drivers are another matter altogether...

> Getting cyclists 'out of the way'...whose assertion is that?

For one some of the traffic engineers I have worked with in a
professional capacity...

As to why cyclists tend to be dismissive of the concept of 'cycle
facilities', there are many good reasons. Cyclists have a legal right
to use the road and the road network is well-maintained, comprehensive
and so on. Cycle facilities often undermine the cyclists right to use
that primary network. The main existing problem with the roads network
is that for generations it has been developed purely with the 'needs'
of motor vehicle users in mind, as a result it is very car-centric and
'cycling unfriendly'. The creation of separate 'facilities' simply
exacerbates this problem.

They say a picture paints a thousand words so you might like to look
here for a few examples of why so many cyclists are dismissive of
'cycle facilities' as typically created in the UK

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/

I was sent another one just yesterday and unfortunately such
'facilities' can be found all over the country, even when they
supposedly form part of "The National Cycle Network, as they do here:

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/downloads/NCN-Carlise.JPG

> > If you think cycle helmets= safety you are sadly misguided. Cycle
> > helmets can only do what they are constructed and designed to do-
> > protect the wearer against cuts and mild concussion in simple low
> > speed falls under 12 Mph or so.

> And there's a lot of cyclists peddling at that speed......

Yes, and at that speed genuinely seriously or fatal injuries are highly
unlikley, unless the wearer is hit by a car in which case a helmet is
about as much use a chocolate fireguard.

> >Cycle helmet promotion is for the most
> > part a smokescreen used by the car-centric to divert attention away
> > from the sort of measures which would genuinely improve cyclists
> > safety,

> Another instance of cyclists' conspiracy theory :)

Not at all, just a realistic take on how politics operate. For example,
the 'Government' is keen to promote cycle helmet wearing despite their
limitations. This is because the Government has set targets to reduce
deaths and serious injury and a 'serious' injury is any one that
requires hospital treatment. Now many admissions of cyclists to
hospitals are for such 'serious' head injuries as treatment for cuts to
the scalp or observation after mild concussion. Cycle helmets would in
all probability reduce the incidence of such minor 'serious' injuries
and so help the Government to meet its targets. Just as many and quite
possibly more cyclists would be killed or receive genuinely serious
injuries (due to risk compensation effects, the increased likelihood of
rotational trauma due to the size and mass of wearing a helmet and so
on) but what the hell, the targets would have been met and the illusion
would be given that our roads were getting 'safer'. All this could be
done without upsetting the motor lobby by increasing the level of speed
enforcement and so on even though it is such 'anti-car' measures which
need to be taken if we are to make our roads genuinely safer and so
reduce the incidence of fatal and genuinely serious injuries.

> You can quote historical fact 'til you are blue in the face, it isn't going
> to change the present one jot.
> Life for the cyclist is still good out there. The statistics are still in
> the cyclists favour. It's widely reported that the risks of a premature
> demise are greatly outweighed by the health benefits and increased life
> span.

True, even in todays hostile road environment cycling is more likely to
extend your life than shorten it. However, I don't think we should down
play the risks faced or fail to look further than the plain statistics.
For example, one of the primary reasons road deaths for cyclists are
not higher is that there are, relatively speaking, so few cyclists on
the road, certainly when compared to countries such as Holland and
Denmark. Further UK cyclists have to live in a constant state of
awareness, some might even say fear, trying to anticipate whether or
not that car driver is going to ignore the fact they are approaching
and pull out on them, or is going to overtake them and then immediately
turn left across their path etc. etc. etc. Such compensatory action on
the part of cyclists might keep the casualty figures down but in turn
also means that the casualty figures do not accurately reflect the
degree of danger on our roads.

> > I don't think it is amatter of claiming 'the moral high ground' in any
> > case, just calling for justice where it is due.

> Campaign against the law then and not against the motorist.

Unfortunately the motoring lobby see any call for the law to be
tightened, or for higher levels of enforcement as being 'anti-motorist'
in any case. Plus the law is only a part of the problem, it is just as
important to challenge unacceptable driver behaviour as well.

[email protected] (Jim Ley) sd / msg
<[email protected]> dtd Sat, 08 Oct 2005
20:17:53 GMT:

>>How many times do you see motorists continue through red lights soon
>>after they've changed from orange to red?

>pretty rarely, unlike cyclists which I see about 50% of them running
>red lights.

Then your experience is unusual. The RAC Foundation, I believe,
conducted a survey which showed that red light running is common among
drivers. Remember, too, that the first driver to stop effectively
blocks all those behind from running the light; the same is not true
of cyclists.

But why pick on this one offence? It seems like an evasion top pick
on only the offences thought to be common among cyclists. Consider
*all* road traffic offences, and then see if you can find any group of
road users which is uniformly lawful. One might just as well say that
drivers are more lawless than cyclists because cyclists rarely break
the speed limit, whereas most drivers freely admit to doing so.

>I started counting on a recent trip, I'd got to putney bridge and had
>seen a lot, on the ride up the kings road to islington only half of
>the cyclists I saw also stopped at the traffic lights, that was 32
>cyclists going through red lights, I didn't see a single car do it.

In London? In peak time? Not surprised. The junctions are too often
blocked by other drivers committing a different offence and thus
preventing the red light being run :)

>Parking offences are generally not the domain of the police any more,
>and traffic wardens certainly don't ignore it, with their performance
>related pay...

But driving on the footway is not a parking offence. And in case you
didn't know the chances of being killed on the footway by a motor
vehicle are around 200 times those of being killed on the footway by a
cyclist.

>>On average, one pedestrian every 2 years is killed by a cyclist on the
>>pavement.

>>How many pedestrians each year are killed by motor vehicles on
>>pavements?

Between 50 and 80 most years, with a similar number killed on
pedestrian crossings.

>Let me repeat again though, bad behaviour by one group does not make
>it okay for any other group to also behave badly, pointing out someone
>elses failings doesn't make your failings any less real.

It can, however, be a way of diverting attention away from your own
faults. Or putting it another way:

"A key finding which should be noted was that, when commenting on the
scenarios it was usually the behaviour of the cyclist that was
criticised – no matter how small the misdemeanour. Few links were made
between the cyclist’s behaviour and any external influences that could
be affecting their choice of behaviour; i.e. the respondents’ comments
indicated that they thought the cyclist’s actions were inherent and
dispositional behaviours. In contrast, the motorists’ misdemeanours
were excused or justified in terms of the situational influences. As
this tendency seemed to continue across the groups and the individual
depth interviews and was unprompted, it is unlikely that group
dynamics had any significant effect on this finding. [...] This aligns
with the psychological prediction of targeting of members of an ‘out
group’"

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Or to paraphrase from TRL 549 further

Drivers explain the law-breaking of cyclists in terms of supposed
inherent 'personality' traits which are held to be common to all
cyclists. For example, 'they are all law-breaking lycra louts' . Even
the law-abiding behaviour of cyclists is explained in such terms. For
example the actions of a cyclist who is riding the recommended distance
away from parked cars in order to reduce the risk of being 'doored'
will be interpreted as being a deliberate attempt to obstruct the road
and illustrative of the 'arrogance' of 'cyclists'.

Conversely the law-breaking of motorists is explained not in terms of
the personality of the driver but instead in terms of 'situational
variables' such as 'It is OK to speed here because the road is clear.'

We might add that such differences in the attribution of behaviour are
due to the fact that cyclists form a minority group which is seen as
being both outside of and a challenge to the car-centric social norm.
Such differences in the interpretation of behaviour form the basis of
almost all form of prejudice and are common in all societies,
especially those which are particularly hierarchical and authoritarian
in nature.

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 20:34:11 GMT, [email protected] (Jim Ley) wrote:

>No, because it's not an equivalent accident, a lot of those people are
>not killed by drivers intentionally driving on the pavement but by
>accidents when vehicles on the road happen to go onto the pavement.

List, in order from most dangerous to pedestrians to least dangerous
to pedestrians the following:

A - Cyclist intentionally riding on pavement
B - Motorist unintentionally driving on pavement
C - Motorist intentionally driving on pavement
D - Cyclist unintentionally riding on pavement

I'd hazard a guess that B and C are considerably more dangerous than A
and D, and, furthermore, death caused by D is exceptionally rare.

> OK, so few of these deaths
> are due to motorists actually deliberately driving along the footway
> itself but in most cases the driver will have been engaging in some
> other illegal activity, such as speeding, regardless of the fact that
> pedestrians were walking on a few feet away.

And what evidence base do you have to support the sweeping generalisation
that you have just made?

vernon wrote:

> And what evidence base do you have to support the sweeping generalisation
> that you have just made?

Partly from an extrapolation from the official figures showing the
percentage of drivers who speed in a built up area, use a mobile phone
when driving and so on, and partly from reading the court reports
relating to the deaths of pedestrians who were hit by a motor vehicle
whilst walking on a footway. There are quite few such reports you can
read at http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/motorcarnage/motorcarnage.html
The pedestrian killings are helpfully highlighted in Blue...

"Sniper8052" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 08 Oct 2005 13:00:51 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sniper8052 <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The difference is that CM are doing something illegal

>> What, exactly?
>>
>> regards, Ian SMith

> Intimidating other road users by proceeding as a body en mass, often with
> little or no regard for the rights of others whilst seeking confrontation
> and flouting the regulations set down for the safe passage of traffic on
> the highway.
>
> Sniper8052

In other words, exactly what happens on our roads every day with motor
vehicles... yet London motorists aren't being told they need to log tier
route & get police permission to be on the road as a huge body, with little
or no regard for the rights of others whilst seeking confrontation and
flouting the regulations.. etc., etc.

Cheers, helen s

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 11:08:13 +0100, vernon <[email protected]> wrote:
> > OK, so few of these deaths
> > are due to motorists actually deliberately driving along the footway
> > itself but in most cases the driver will have been engaging in some
> > other illegal activity, such as speeding, regardless of the fact that
> > pedestrians were walking on a few feet away.

> And what evidence base do you have to support the sweeping generalisation
> that you have just made?

If it's an untrue assumption, the deduction must be that they are
driving on the pavement through a simple inability to keep the car
between the kerbs. In which case, they are unfit to drive, which is
in itself an offence.

I can't see any likely scenario in which a driver inadvertently
driving on the pavement is doing so despite obeying fully traffic law.
It seems much more likely that they were doing something dangerous and
ended up on the pavement - and most of the 'something dangerous' have
been made illegal.

While it is an assumption, it seems a reasonably likely one.

regards Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:49:24 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>But why pick on this one offence?

It was an illustration, I wasn't picking on it, an illustration of a
common offence amoung cyclists.

>>I started counting on a recent trip, I'd got to putney bridge and had
>>seen a lot, on the ride up the kings road to islington only half of
>>the cyclists I saw also stopped at the traffic lights, that was 32
>>cyclists going through red lights, I didn't see a single car do it.

>In London? In peak time? Not surprised.

Exactly, and yet people wonder why some car drivers are unimpressed
with cyclists when they see such law breaking when they are obeying
the law.

>>Parking offences are generally not the domain of the police any more,
>>and traffic wardens certainly don't ignore it, with their performance
>>related pay...

>But driving on the footway is not a parking offence.

nowhere did I say it was, that quote was specifically about parking on
the pavement.

> And in case you
>didn't know the chances of being killed on the footway by a motor
>vehicle are around 200 times those of being killed on the footway by a
>cyclist.

However as explained, there have been no examples given of pedestrians
killed by a driver deliberately driving on the pavement.

>>Let me repeat again though, bad behaviour by one group does not make
>>it okay for any other group to also behave badly, pointing out someone
>>elses failings doesn't make your failings any less real.

>It can, however, be a way of diverting attention away from your own
>faults.

So you support the idea that cyclists should break the law on a CM
because some drivers break the law when driving? Odd.

Jim.

> I can't see any likely scenario in which a driver inadvertently
> driving on the pavement is doing so despite obeying fully traffic law.
> It seems much more likely that they were doing something dangerous and
> ended up on the pavement - and most of the 'something dangerous' have
> been made illegal.
>
> While it is an assumption, it seems a reasonably likely one.

And what about the hapless motorist shunted onto the pavement by another
vehicle?

vernon wrote:

> And what about the hapless motorist shunted onto the pavement by another
> vehicle?

And how might that happen? Oh yes, THE DRIVER of that other vehicle
might have been too busy making a mobile phone call, or might have been
trying to overtake in an unsafe situation etc. etc. etc. The ultimate
cause of such a crash would in all likelihood still be inconsiderate or
downright reckless driving!

OK, very occasionally a genuine 'accident' might occur. For example,
someone with no history of health problems might have a totally
unexpected heart attack (those known to be prone to such problems
should not really be driving), or a perfectly maintained vehicle might
suffer a mechanical failure that could not have been predicted. However
in 95% of crashes the cause of the crash is 'driver error', usually
meaning the driver making the 'error' of quite wilfully taking risks
with the safety of others.

> [...]

> >Jim Ley wrote:

> >>... tight overtaking etc. is in the majority of cases lack of
> >> experience and thought by the driver, not maliciousness, education not
> >> confrontation is what's needed until this rump of drivers is dealt
> >> with.

> >Unfortunately research shows that inconsiderate drivers know EXACTLY
> >what they are doing and that their behaviour is both potentially
> >dangerous and intimidating. For example TRL 549 'Driver's perceptions
> >of cyclists' notes that whilst over 75% of drivers will quite willfully
> >'cut up' a cyclist at a 'pinch point' the same proportion of drivers
> >also say that such behaviour is dangerous and that they would never do
> >it!

> See, even your information is misleading, how can you find out that
> someone is willfully doing something they say they never do.
> Unfortunately you've not provided nearly enough information from the
> study to get a real conclusion (and I'm not spending 40quid to find it
> out) so we don't know the scenario, is the 75% doing an observed
> behaviour, in which case then it's likely that they do not equate what
> they are doing as the same as the act they were questioned about -
> that's a driver training issue.
>
> >Much inconsiderate driver behaviour stems from prejudice and a feeling
> >of superiority over cyclists.

> And what about cyclists inconsiderate and illegal behaviour where does
> that stem from - seen as your arguments on why CM is a good thing is
> based on the fact a minority of drivers are inconsiderate, why is one
> allowed and the other not?
>
> > Drivers can't even
> >be 'educated' to drive within the legal speed limit or to not use
> >hand-held mobile phones!

> Or indeed cyclists, on one of my regular rides it's rare to see a
> cyclist going under the posted speed limit.
>
> Jim,

> Ian Smith Oct 8, 2:14 pm show options
> Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
> From: Ian Smith <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
> Date: 08 Oct 2005 13:14:31 GMT
> Subject: Re: Police in London attack critical mass

> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005, Sniper8052 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > occasions I have seen them been little more than an unruly and loud mob
> > intent on being a pain in the backside to all and sundry. Whilst this may
> > not be the intent of all those present enough of the riders present this
> > behavior to tarnish all with the same brush.

> That's unacceptable.
>
> It is not acceptable to treat a group of individuals as having the
> same intent as some sub-set. Presumably you're also in favour of
> deporting all towel-heads? Terrorists teh lot of 'em, eh?
>
> I trust with this policy you'll be forthwith arresting every single
> motorist you observe - after all, official government statistsics show
> that the majoriuty break the speed limits, and if a majority do
> something obviously you may as well treat them all the same.

Since my news-reader has gone phut once again I appologise for this being
out of order.

> That's unacceptable.
>
> It is not acceptable to treat a group of individuals as having the
> same intent as some sub-set.

If a number of persons from a larger body come together with a common aim
they are a sub-set of the larger group. If another part of that sub-set is
proportionately large or loud enough to skew the perception of the sub-set
by others from law abiding to law breaking that is how the sub-set will
become known whether all members of the sub-set ascribe to the actions of
the secondary sub-set.
Since I previously acknowledged in the very paragraph which you have taken
issue with the fact that not all members of CM ascribe to the behavior
exhibited by those who have lowered CM rides to such poor repute and who
have brought about the current reaction I cannot quite see what point you
are trying to make other than it's unfair to generalise about a group. I
would agree, your example of treating foreign nationals as terrorists based
on their ethnicity is unacceptable it is a generalisation of an overly
large sample group. CM rides are not an overly large public grouping and
the actions of what may well be 'the few' activists within it's ranks will
have a disproportionate influence over the behavior of others within the
ride and the reaction of bystanders and others to the ride.
As an aside to the conversation I would not use a phrase such as that which
has been quoted above, I don't think like that and I certainly take issue
with your use of such language to ascribe a belief toward me that I do not,
never have and never will hold to. I cannot think that anything I have
ever written could give anyone cause to hold to or make such an assertion
against my character. I had to reprimand a probationer this week for
making an inappropriate remark about a sub-set of women to me, I left him
in no doubt that I did not find the remark funny, mearly rude, degrading
and untastful.

Sniper8052

I apply my last paragraph to this also,

> [email protected] Oct 8, 4:39 pm show options
>
> However, I have little
> doubt that you are not the only police officer who thinks that any
> protest group is a 'terrorist' organisation. Well, any protest group
> with left-leaning politics...

and add that as I stated previously I have no problems with people
protesting. I will however class as terrorist any organisation which
promotes the intimidation or physical attack of others, the destruction of
property or use of public anarchy such as was seen at some recent May Day
'protests'.
From your posting it appeared you believe CM rides have a right to threaten
and intimidate others and ignor traffic rules. I cannot agree with this,
CM rides have a right, inalienable, to use the roads as the law prescribes.
That right has responsibilities, to obey all traffic regulations and avoid
unnecessary delay to others these responsibilities apply to all road users.
The present situation is a result of the perception of CM rides being an
unruly political statement formed of vocal and confrontational members and
not a pleasure ride. Perhaps if CM rides truely were fun events then none
of this would have come about. The confrontational behavior and attitude
of some amongst its number has done nothing to promote this view. As CM
rides are not to be policed anymore the ride now has the responsibility to
'police' its own. How well this can be accomplished I do not know but
certainly CM rides cannot continue to be the confrontational events they
are percieved to be now. I hope CM rides will become the monthly 'fun run'
which families can go to, I doubt they will unless someone amongst it takes
this as an opportunity to talk to and work with the police either directly
or through TFL. I can't believe there is so much dead ground that this
could not be resolved.

Sniper8052.

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:51:22 GMT, [email protected] (Jim Ley) wrote:

>>But driving on the footway is not a parking offence.

>nowhere did I say it was, that quote was specifically about parking on
>the pavement.

It is quite reasonable to assume that a car parked on the pavement has
been driven on the footway.

Sniper8052 wrote:

> From your posting it appeared you believe CM rides have a right to threaten
> and intimidate others and ignor traffic rules.

Not at all. However I have seen CM rides in London and there seemed to
be very little 'intimidation' going on. Yes I have heard of cases of
confrontations occurring but usually these seem to be sparked by
drivers who cannot be bothered to wait a few minutes whilst the ride
passes. For example, I know that a case is coming to court in few weeks
relating to an incident on a CM ride last year where a rider was quite
deliberately run down.

As to riders ignoring 'traffic rules'. Yes, I do see that riders going
though red lights and so on in order to keep the ride together might
case difficulties. However, with a little police management I see no
reason why this shouldn't be allowed as has happened in the past, even
without going to the lengths of appointing a nominated 'event
organiser', the submission of a safety plan and all the rest. Perhaps
it is best to keep the ride together in this way given that if motor
vehicles are allowed to get in between different groups of riders some
of those drivers may well take the common view that the number one
'traffic rule' is that cyclists should 'get out of the way', so
creating more situations where conflict might arise.

> The present situation is a result of the perception of CM rides being an
> unruly political statement formed of vocal and confrontational members and
> not a pleasure ride.

Agreed. As I said earlier ultimately it is the 'political' nature of
the ride which is causing it to be targeted...

> As CM rides are not to be policed anymore the ride now has the responsibility to
> 'police' its own.

This seems to be official ACPO policy for events in any case, including
those which take place on the highway.

> How well this can be accomplished I do not know but certainly CM rides cannot continue
> to be the confrontational events they are percieved to be now.

I would tend to agree with this. Without the 'protection' offered by a
police escort I can see many more drivers 'having a go' should they
encounter a CM ride which 'delays' them or holds them up when the
driver has a green light.

> I hope CM rides will become the monthly 'fun run'
> which families can go to, I doubt they will unless someone amongst it takes
> this as an opportunity to talk to and work with the police either directly
> or through TFL. I can't believe there is so much dead ground that this
> could not be resolved.

That would be great. I would agree that the more radical elements who
participate in CM might benefit from opening some sort of dialogue with
the police, but I don't think it is really feasible to run it as an
event under the Event Safety Code with all this involves. It would be
fantastic if CM were a place anyone would feel happy to take their kids
for a fun ride. However, to make this a reality not only might the most
radical CM participants have to be, well, less radical, the police
would need to give more protection to the ride so people were not
afraid of becoming the subject of provocation or worse from 'delayed'
drivers.

Unfortunately the typically ham-fisted way the police have addressed
these issues (and the dubious legality of the threats made) has only
got peoples backs up, especially those who are aware of the way CM has
been targeted for political reasons in New York.

I would hope that the police would return to a policy of aiding the
smooth flow of the ride and giving some sort of protection from drivers
who might be tempted to assault it's participants and so on. I
sincerely hope that the police, having seemingly abandoned their
good-natured 'assistance' , don't instead send van loads of police down
with the intention of carting away anyone who rides through a red light
in an attempt to keep the ride together. If they do their actions will
inevitably be interpreted as being overtly 'political' and this might
well play straight into the hands of anyone who does want CM to be
confrontational and overtly 'lawless'. Who knows, perhaps the police
themselves want this to happen. As we know from history, when the
police as a force want to make a point that 'the law is the law' there
is little limit to the extent the will go to in order to make this
point.

On 9 Oct 2005 07:53:36 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>As to riders ignoring 'traffic rules'. Yes, I do see that riders going
>though red lights and so on in order to keep the ride together might
>case difficulties. However, with a little police management I see no
>reason why this shouldn't be allowed as has happened in the past,

Absolutely not, violating traffic laws is not a good thing for CM to
do, it gives perfect ammunition for anyone who doesn't like cyclists.

If it's just a cycle, then it obeys all the laws, if it wants to break
laws, then it definately needs approval.

>I would tend to agree with this. Without the 'protection' offered by a
>police escort I can see many more drivers 'having a go' should they
>encounter a CM ride which 'delays' them or holds them up when the
>driver has a green light.

Why would it be the case, when it's not the case for the skates (over
80 a year) which delays drivers if anything more?

>That would be great. I would agree that the more radical elements who
>participate in CM might benefit from opening some sort of dialogue with
>the police,

What's needed is for the non-radical elements to make it completely
clear to the badly behaved ones that it's not acceptable and they
should leave the ride if they're not willing to play nice. Once it's
well behaved the police will leave it alone just like they do with
similar events.

>I would hope that the police would return to a policy of aiding the
>smooth flow of the ride and giving some sort of protection from drivers
>who might be tempted to assault it's participants and so on.

I definately do not want the police to waste resources on what should
be a simple self "policeable" event, a cycle around london, I go on
plenty of skates, and road races which delay drivers a lot, it's very
rare to have a problem, CM however does, it's not all the fault of the
drivers.

Jim.

> As to riders ignoring 'traffic rules'. Yes, I do see that riders going
> though red lights and so on in order to keep the ride together might
> case difficulties.

What's wrong with waiting for the delayed riders to catch up and
reassembling at the other side of the traffic lights?

vernon wrote:

> What's wrong with waiting for the delayed riders to catch up and
> reassembling at the other side of the traffic lights?

Perhaps you have never seen a CM ride but with hundreds of riders (they
are hoping for over a 1000 on the next one) there simply isn't enough
space on the road to do this, plus those at the front wouldn't know
when those at the rear had been held up. Also this would probably
result in cars and so on getting mixed up in the riders to the
detriment of their safety. Perhaps 'blocks' of riders could wait for
each other in this way or the ride only move when no part of the ride
was held by a red light. However, this would need quite a bit of
organisation and quite possibly the use of radios or mobiles, and CM
isn't organised in any way which would facilitate this. Even if this
could be done I guess it the situation might well arise where at any
given moment some part of the column was held on a red somewhere, so
everyone would go nowhere.

That said I don't think cyclists should ever go though red lights when
going about their daily commute!