Police learn lessons...

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:52:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:56:28 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>My real favourite oxymoron, though, is "gospel truth".
>
>Take care: there is more evidence to support the Gospels
>than the deeds of Julius Caesar, according to some (non Bible-
>bashing) sources.

On the grounds that the history was written by Julius
himself?

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

congokid wrote:

> I'm sure I saw what was a gang of about 20 bike mounted
> officers progressing in an orderly manner up Shaftesbury
> Avenue in London one late afternoon last week.
>
> Well, not so orderly - they seemed to be shouting in
> unison, but I thought they were police because they were
> all wearing identical yellow and black jackets, helmets
> and looked like they were on very similar bikes.
>
> Anyone else seen them, and are they biking police?

I saw a posse of about half a dozen heading south past the
mosque in Kingsland Road last week. Identical matching bikes
and uniforms. Definitely Plod.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:40:22 +0000, Dave Kahn wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:52:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you
> know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:56:28 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
>><[email protected]> wrote in message
>><[email protected]>:
>>
>>>My real favourite oxymoron, though, is "gospel truth".
>>
>>Take care: there is more evidence to support the Gospels
>>than the deeds of Julius Caesar, according to some (non
>>Bible-bashing) sources.
>
> On the grounds that the history was written by Julius
> himself?

Personally, I can't see how the deeds of Julius Caesar could
possibly support the Gospels.

Am I missing something?

;-)
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "Some cause happiness
wherever they go; others whenever they go." -Oscar Wilde

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:58:47 -0000 someone who may be "Sky
> Fly" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >So what will happen with police bikes? AirZounds? If you
> >think motorists are **** at getting out of the way, just
> >wait and see what happens with peds.
>
> The officer I saw in York was getting through the
> pedestrians far more quickly than he would have done in a
> car, which would not have fitted down some of the places
> he was cycling and would not have been able to pass the
> bollards in places.

Hello David,

I'm sure he would be able to do this.

However, I'm thinking of a situation where he is chasing
someone who is running very fast through a pedestrianised
area. The only way you can make progress through such an
area is either to cycle very slowly and carefully, or to use
a siren to blast people out of the way.

So either he would use the siren (and create mass confusion)
or cycle slowly and let the person he was chasing get away.
Have I missed out any other alternatives, or is there a flaw
in my argument?

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:59:50 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
(Patrick Herring) wrote this:-

>When I was doing a philosophy degree one of the lecturers,
>who was basically a logician, got argued with by one of my
>contempories, who was basically a b-basher, and came out
>with the wonderful line: "Ah, but you can't treat the Bible
>as, er, gospel".

It is a correct, if slightly amusing statement.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:51:16 -0000 someone who may be "Sky Fly"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>However, I'm thinking of a situation where he is chasing
>someone who is running very fast through a
>pedestrianised area.

If they are able to run very fast then there are not too
many pedestrians around.

>The only way you can make progress through such an area is
>either to cycle very slowly and carefully, or to use a
>siren to blast people out of the way.

As I have said before the police officer that I saw was
riding a bike fitted with a siren and flashing blue lights.
The latter were rather pointless, but the former was
effective at getting attention while not being so loud as to
cause mass confusion.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

> However, I'm thinking of a situation where he is chasing
> someone who is running very fast through a pedestrianised
> area. The only way you can make progress through such an
> area is either to cycle very slowly and carefully, or to
> use a siren to blast people out of the way.
>
> So either he would use the siren (and create mass
> confusion) or cycle slowly and let the person he was
> chasing get away. Have I missed out any other
> alternatives, or is there a flaw in my argument?

Aha, you forgot getting off the bike and running but
considering the name of this newsgroup I suppose its
understandable :)

Mark Thompson wrote:

> Aha, you forgot getting off the bike and running but
> considering the name of this newsgroup I suppose its
> understandable :)

<thieving_scumbag> Yer, bu' if 'e dun vat, 'ow long befoah
'IS bike gort nicked? </thieving_scumbag>

I'm sure ownership of a bicycle formerly the property of Her
Majesty's Aged William would be considered something of a
status symbol among the, ahem, pikotic... ;-)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Sky Fly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> So either he would use the siren (and create mass
> confusion) or cycle slowly and let the person he was
> chasing get away. Have I missed out any other
> alternatives, or is there a flaw in my argument?

I'm sure this situation would be covered in the training
course. :)

--
Dave...

> > Aha, you forgot getting off the bike and running but considering the
> > name of this newsgroup I suppose its understandable :)
>
> <thieving_scumbag> Yer, bu' if 'e dun vat, 'ow long befoah
> 'IS bike gort nicked? </thieving_scumbag>
>
> I'm sure ownership of a bicycle formerly the property of
> Her Majesty's Aged William would be considered something
> of a status symbol among the, ahem, pikotic... ;-)

Didn't someone mention something about automatic locks?

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> writes:

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:40:22 +0000, Dave Kahn wrote:

>> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:52:05 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you
>> know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:56:28 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
>>><[email protected]> wrote in message

>>>Take care: there is more evidence to support the Gospels
>>>than the deeds of Julius Caesar, according to some (non
>>>Bible-bashing) sources.

>> On the grounds that the history was written by Julius
>> himself?

>Personally, I can't see how the deeds of Julius Caesar
>could possibly support the Gospels.

The Bible would be a lot more credible if God hadn't
resorted to ghost writers. He seems to have been rather
badly advised by His agent in that respect.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

> The Bible would be a lot more credible if God hadn't
> resorted to ghost writers. He seems to have been rather
> badly advised by His agent in that respect.

He should have also exerted more control over what went in
there - the Songs of Solomon contain imagery that is
practically pornographic - not what I want my children to be
reading at Sunday School.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:00:29 -0000 someone who may be "Mark
Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)>
wrote this:-

>He should have also exerted more control over what went in
>there - the Songs of Solomon contain imagery that is
>practically pornographic - not what I want my children to
>be reading at Sunday School.

There are also several examples of extreme violence,
sometimes

--

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> writes:

>> The Bible would be a lot more credible if God hadn't
>> resorted to ghost writers. He seems to have been rather
>> badly advised by His agent in that respect.

>He should have also exerted more control over what went in
>there - the Songs of Solomon contain imagery that is
>practically pornographic - not what I want my children to
>be reading at Sunday School.

I'm sure they never showed the final draft of the Bible to
Him. I think the whole thing was a fit-up, with the Church
secure in the knowledge that like Royalty, God wouldn't
stoop to suing them for misrepresentation etc..
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:05:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> "Mindless right-wing demagoguery" is a better excuse than
>> I've been able to come up with. (Should that be "with
>> which I've been able to come up"?)
>
>Up with which I have been able to come.
>
>Simon, tongue firmly lodged in cheek.

Ludicrous, Simon. Talking of which, that parrot was quite
helpful with the quick crossword :)

James (tongue firmly placed in sandwich - with tomatoes)

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Take care: there is more evidence to support the Gospels
>than the deeds of Julius Caesar, according to some (non Bible-
>bashing) sources.

There's no doubt in my currently non-believing mind that
Jesus existed some 2K years ago. Whether he was Christ,
however, is a matter of faith; something I don't have at
the moment.

I envy you, Guy.

James

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:42:32 +0000, James Hodson
<[email protected]>:

>There's no doubt in my currently non-believing mind that
>Jesus existed some 2K years ago. Whether he was Christ,
>however, is a matter of faith; something I don't have at
>the moment.

Hard to disagree with this. There is, I am told, less
interval between the events an the earliest Biblical textx
than there is between, say, the siege of Troy and the first
written accounts thereof. The balance is a matter of faith,
as you say. The Jews, I am told, also believe that Jesus was
a holy man, but not that he was the Messiah.

>I envy you, Guy.

No need. I got my faith the easy way :)

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:42:31 +0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>The Jews, I am told, also believe that Jesus was a holy
>man, but not that he was the Messiah.

That depends on their particular adherence.

Islam holds Jesus to be the second most important prophet.

--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> The Jews, I am told, also believe that Jesus was a holy
> man, but not that he was the Messiah.

And a very naughty boy?

[pedals furiously away to evade the Python Police (see:
ON-topic)]

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/