Police learn lessons...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:42:32 +0000, James Hodson
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>There's no doubt in my currently non-believing mind that
>>Jesus existed some 2K years ago. Whether he was Christ,
>>however, is a matter of faith; something I don't have at
>>the moment.
>
>Hard to disagree with this. There is, I am told, less
>interval between the events an the earliest Biblical textx
>than there is between, say, the siege of Troy and the first
>written accounts thereof.

Accounts that weren't regarded as conclusive evidence that
Troy existed until archaeological evidence was found.

Hardly comparable to Julius Caesar, your earlier example.
The earliest copy we have of his writings might be more
distant from the original than the gospels, but we have
massive amounts of supporting evidence that he existed and
was emperor of Rome. We know the Romans really did occupy
Britain for example, not just because someone wrote about it
later, but because we find buried Roman stuff (including
remains of whole buildings, not just trade goods).

On 19 Mar 2004 16:08:57 +0000 (GMT), [email protected] (Alan
Braggins) wrote:

>Hardly comparable to Julius Caesar, your earlier example.
>The earliest copy we have of his writings might be more
>distant from the original than the gospels, but we have
>massive amounts of supporting evidence that he existed and
>was emperor of Rome.

Dictator, yes; emperor no. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/history-
/historic_figures/caesar_julius.shtml

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. -
Mark Twain

> > > There are also several examples of extreme violence,
> > > sometimes

> > plague, suspense and a surprise ending.
>
> Its lousy fantasy fiction though. At least 2 beginnings,
> no consistent plot and implausible throughout.

eh? It's a compendium of sixty six different books. There is
some good stuff in there, but also a lot of twaddle. A lot
of it lost something in the translation which is a pity.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:07:19 -0000, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)Well I don't know... is it really as effective as it is
:)claimed - will it help the police do a better job? I guess
:)it's true that it will make them more approachable than
:)if they were riding in a car, but I'm still somewhat
:doubtful. )It would be interesting to have a policeman's
:perspective on )this. )

It apparently works better than planned. Not only do the
good public find the cycling police more approachable, so do
the yoof and has shown to be a way to break down barriers
between police and yobs.

...having spoken to a few cycops in Brum.
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:59:39 +0000, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)I look forward to your next article "BBC journalism chiefs
:defend )word-processor training courses". )

or "BBC jurnalisn cheifs defend word-processer
training coarses".

--
Comm again, Mike.

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:21:19 -0000, "Sky Fly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

:)I guess that would hold where there were traffic jams, but
:)don't the police have sirens for just a situation? )

How does a siren get vehicles out of the way ?
--
Comm again, Mike.