Polishing frames

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Keiron Decommun, May 8, 2003.

  1. Hi all, anyone here had an aluminium frame ball burnished or polished? I've got a Proflex 957
    that could do with re-finishing and I intend to have my new bike stripped and polished
    professionally too.

    Tia. Dave.

    Tags:

  2. Gavin Will

    Gavin Will Guest

    Hello

    I havent done this to a bicycle frame but I recently polished up the swingarm on my motocross bike.
    It came up with a mirror finish after I had polished it, I sanded it down with finer and finer wet &
    dry and then polished with AutoGlym polish from halfords which cost a fiver. lots of work but worth
    the results.

    "Keiron DeCommunity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, anyone here had an aluminium frame ball burnished or polished? I've got a Proflex 957
    > that could do with re-finishing and I intend to have my new bike stripped and polished
    > professionally too.
    >
    > Tia. Dave.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Gavin Will <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hello
    >
    > I havent done this to a bicycle frame but I recently polished up the swingarm on my motocross
    > bike. It came up with a mirror finish after I had polished it, I sanded it down with finer and
    > finer wet & dry and then polished with AutoGlym polish from halfords which cost a fiver. lots of
    > work but worth the results.

    I'd be wary of doing it that way on a bike. Tube wall thickness is much less than on a motorbike and
    it would be too easy to seriously thin it with wet & dry. Better to stick with polishing compound
    and elbow grease if doing it by hand.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  4. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Gavin Will <[email protected]> typed:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I havent done this to a bicycle frame but I recently polished up the swingarm on my motocross
    > > bike. It came up with a mirror finish after I had polished it, I sanded it down with finer and
    > > finer wet & dry and then polished with AutoGlym polish from halfords which cost a fiver. lots of
    > > work but worth the results.
    > >

    > I'd be wary of doing it that way on a bike. Tube wall thickness is much less than on a motorbike
    > and it would be too easy to seriously thin it
    with
    > wet & dry. Better to stick with polishing compound and elbow grease if doing it by hand.
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks chaps, but once it's polished, how do I keep it that way? Lacquer?

    Thanks, Dave.

  5. Keiron DeCommunity wrote:
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    ..snip..
    >>Tony

    > Thanks chaps, but once it's polished, how do I keep it that way? Lacquer?

    Go for a ride and apply a thick coat of greasy black mud... that'll preserve the shiny polish
    underneath :)

    > Thanks, Dave.

    Adrain

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44