polishing scratches off sunglasses?

Raptor

Guest
I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that the lenses must be replaced.
Is there a way?

Dunno' if this really works but...http://www.scratchpolish.com/glass_restoration.htm

Cordially, Arous

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that the lenses must be
> replaced. Is there a way?

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
> could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
> in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

">

Arous" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_Y_Oa.20695$ye4.16939@sccrnsc01...
> Dunno' if this really works but...http://www.scratchpolish.com/glass_restoration.htm

It won't. They specifically do not mention eyewear. Most GOOD plastic eyewear has various color,
anti-reflective and other coatings on one or both sides of the lens, much like camera lenses,
binoculars and telescopes. Any attempt at polishing would remove any or all of these coatings. If
your sunglasses are cheap, try polishing with a fine plastic polish. If your sunglasses are good
ones, buy new lenses if the scratches bother you, and then take very good care of them.

Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try to pol8ish the lens, the
coating will wear off, but not enough to see through.

You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to replace the lenses, which you'll
have to do if you don't anyway.

If you are ready to write them off, you might try polishing the lenses with toothpaste. This
sometimes works, but as several others have mentioned the coatings will be removed.

Toothpaste has worked for me where there was very light scratching.

HTH, Ernie

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:04:13 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> may have said:

>I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that the lenses must be
>replaced. Is there a way?

If they're plastic lenses, you might conceal the scratches with car wax. Trying to buff them back
out will sometimes work, but I've concealed a multitude of small blemishes on a pair of prescription
Polaroids using Meguiar's. Try a little of it on the least necessary corner of the lens first,
though; some car waxes will actively attack polycarbonates.

---

Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
> Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try to pol8ish the lens, the
> coating will wear off, but not enough to see through.
>
> You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to replace the lenses, which you'll
> have to do if you don't anyway.

Actually, I did try with my Dremel (then a variable-speed drill) and the Dremel polishing compound.
Too strong, just made a big foggy area with scratches perhaps not as deep. I've ordered replacement
lenses but realized that if there's a way to remove scratches, I'll want to know for the future.

In article <[email protected]>, Chris Zacho "The
Wheelman" wrote:
> Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try to pol8ish the lens, the
> coating will wear off, but not enough to see through.
>
> You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to replace the lenses, which you'll
> have to do if you don't anyway.

I had antirelflective coating on a pair of prescription glasses (plastic lenses) which deteriorated;
I successfully polished it off, together with some scratches, using metal polish (Brasso).

AC

--
Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)
Email: replace "www." with "ac@"

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that the lenses must be
> replaced. Is there a way?

If they are from certain name brand sunglasses (Rudy Project) then you ship them back the lenses and
get warranty replacements :)

- rick warner

clean and apply quality from the doc's office eyeglass silicon.follow directions. reapply after
drying drying and not getting grit covered that is don't use them put frame in a clean container the
redo several times. the silicone fills cuts and dims the bright reflections fronm the cut's sides!!
also works for your suiza.