Polishing Titanium Seatpost

Graham

Guest
Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost

TIA

Graham

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> --

PEEK metal polish. Its like a mild paste. Local Hardware store. use a
soft cloth wipe on wipe off almost immediately.
Sean.

> Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Does anyone have advice on which type of
> polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to
> polish a Titanium seatpost</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510--

HTML?!?! I bet you top post too :p

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Graham
> > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
> > <HTML><HEAD>
> > <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> > <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>
> > <STYLE></STYLE>
> > </HEAD>
> > <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Does anyone have advice on which type of
> > polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to
> > polish a Titanium seatpost</FONT></DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>TIA</FONT></DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
> > <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Graham</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
> >
> > ------=_NextPart_000_0249_01C469D8.70C07510--

> HTML?!?! I bet you top post too :p

No

Graham

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:25:57 +0000 (UTC), "Graham"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
>
>TIA
>
>Graham

1: remove oxide film from surface
2: wait for film to reform
3: repeat until seatpost disappears

If you want shiny titanium, get it nitrided. Then the surface will be
so hard and so smooth that your seatpost will slip every time you ride
over a piece of overbanding.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost

I have not tried polishing Ti, but my experience with polishing
stainless steel and nickel alloys leads me to believe that you will
want a buffing wheel for the job, with Tripoli earth or White Diamond
compound. A lot depends on the smoothness of the surface you're
starting with and the level of luster you are trying to achieve.

If you are intent on doing it by hand, use a shoeshine-buff method
with a long strap of cloth, preferably while holding the seatpost in a
vise (or overextended in the bike frame while in a workstand). Flitz
is a good polish paste.

Chalo Colina

Titano ... available at all good hardware stores that stock Brasso and Silvo

Graham wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

"Pete whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Titano ... available at all good hardware stores that stock Brasso and

Silvo

> Graham wrote:
> > Does anyone have advice on which type of polish to use and for that
> > matter type of cloth, to use when trying to polish a Titanium seatpost
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Graham

Thanks for the replies.

Graham