Political Newsflash [Lance]

RonSonic wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:46:31 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Sorni wrote:

>>>{Heard you the first time. Go flame someone for their nickname -- rich
>>>coming from someone who can't or won't fix his user name -- or for posting a
>>>/ride report/.}

>>Lance is merely the elite and unstoppable Republican so it is natural
>>that Bush likes him.
>>Sheryl is definitely her own person, and I admire that about her. If
>>their breakup was caused by politics then they should never talk about
>>it at home.
>>Wanted, White female, hi profile, Republican, must also look good.
>>Too tall an order.

> More than you can handle, I'm sure.
>
> Ron

I never said I couldn't handle any woman, but why argue politics after
the fact.
Bill

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> di wrote:
>> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

> Yeah,
> Time is like that, huh?
> We can be older but also fitter.
> Bill

This may sound complicated but.

"Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape as a
younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be "Older and
fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept yourself in shape most of
your life.

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 07:31:54 -0600, "di" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> di wrote:
>>> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>> Yeah,
>> Time is like that, huh?
>> We can be older but also fitter.
>> Bill

>This may sound complicated but.
>
>"Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape as a
>younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be "Older and
>fit".

Exactly.

I'm lucky, I smoked for thirty years so I can be older and fitter than I was
five years ago. Not a lot of that going around.

Ron

di wrote:
> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>di wrote:
>>
>>>"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...
>>>

>>Yeah,
>>Time is like that, huh?
>>We can be older but also fitter.
>>Bill

> This may sound complicated but.
>
> "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape as a
> younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be "Older and
> fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept yourself in shape most of
> your life.

Wrong assumption. I was always in pretty good shape and cycling helps
keep me in better shape than many people 20 years younger than me. They
smoke, work in a cubicle, and eat at McDonalds (or worse) and I ride,
never smoked, and avoid McDonalds like the plague. When I did work in a
cubicle I would get up and go talk to people about something work
related instead of just sending an e mail across the room. Just keeping
the attitude that if you can do it you should do it helps. I run instead
of walk across a parking lot, for instance, just to keep those muscles
toned. Always have, always will.
Bill

"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> di wrote:
>> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

> Wrong assumption. I was always in pretty good shape and cycling helps keep
> me in better shape than many people 20 years younger than me. They smoke,
> work in a cubicle, and eat at McDonalds (or worse) and I ride, never
> smoked, and avoid McDonalds like the plague. When I did work in a cubicle
> I would get up and go talk to people about something work related instead
> of just sending an e mail across the room. Just keeping the attitude that
> if you can do it you should do it helps. I run instead of walk across a
> parking lot, for instance, just to keep those muscles toned. Always have,
> always will.
> Bill

You are comparing yourself with others, I was comparing someone (anyone)
with themselves. You will always find some in worse shape than yourself
and those in much better shape than you.

Alex Potter wrote:

> The last time Blair won an election, more people voted for the other
> parties than for his. In the UK, you only need about 40-45% of the vote
> to win so that is usually the case, whoever wins. IIRC, Thatcher had a
> "landslide victory", a truly massive majority in the House, with 42% of
> the popular vote. Remember, we don't have a two-party system here, nor
> do we have PR, except in Northern Ireland.
>
> There is fairly widespread disillusionment with the electoral process
> here at least since the Labour party turned Thatcherite, so a large
> minority (~30% of those eligible to vote) refuses to vote for any of
> them as the perception is "it makes no difference who you vote for - it
> still falls on you from a great height".
>
> Of course, western civilisation is going to hell in a handbasket, what
> with deficit budgets and the rape of the planet...and there are
> precious few politicians in any country prepared to do anything about
> it, and they're un-electable.

Right or wrong, none of what you say in any way contradicts what I
said, that since he garnered more votes than his competitors *someone*
over there must like him. I guess we agree then. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

di wrote:
> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>di wrote:
>>
>>>"Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>Wrong assumption. I was always in pretty good shape and cycling helps keep
>>me in better shape than many people 20 years younger than me. They smoke,
>>work in a cubicle, and eat at McDonalds (or worse) and I ride, never
>>smoked, and avoid McDonalds like the plague. When I did work in a cubicle
>>I would get up and go talk to people about something work related instead
>>of just sending an e mail across the room. Just keeping the attitude that
>>if you can do it you should do it helps. I run instead of walk across a
>>parking lot, for instance, just to keep those muscles toned. Always have,
>>always will.
>>Bill

> You are comparing yourself with others, I was comparing someone (anyone)
> with themselves. You will always find some in worse shape than yourself
> and those in much better shape than you.

No argument there. When I was 15 I used to ride mountains after school
and on the weekends and thought I was really good. That was until I got
blown off by 2 old guys (30 years old) on an 1800 foot road climb.
Comparing me with me, I think I am in slightly better shape now than
when I was only 37 and did eat at McD's. It helps to have been
hyperactive all my life, never watch sports on TV but try to get a gang
to play a game. Hard these days since everyone my age is too old, or
thinks they are.
BTW, on topic, is Lance going to continue racing of any kind or just
fade away? I heard he might go for triathlon since that is what he did
before the TDF.
We had a 'Tour De California' last week and he wasn't in it. Maybe it
was too lightweight, only 700 miles in 8 days.
Any takers?
Bill

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:03:36 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>di wrote:
>> "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Wrong assumption. I was always in pretty good shape and cycling helps keep
>>>me in better shape than many people 20 years younger than me. They smoke,
>>>work in a cubicle, and eat at McDonalds (or worse) and I ride, never
>>>smoked, and avoid McDonalds like the plague. When I did work in a cubicle
>>>I would get up and go talk to people about something work related instead
>>>of just sending an e mail across the room. Just keeping the attitude that
>>>if you can do it you should do it helps. I run instead of walk across a
>>>parking lot, for instance, just to keep those muscles toned. Always have,
>>>always will.
>>>Bill

>> You are comparing yourself with others, I was comparing someone (anyone)
>> with themselves. You will always find some in worse shape than yourself
>> and those in much better shape than you.
>>

>No argument there. When I was 15 I used to ride mountains after school
>and on the weekends and thought I was really good. That was until I got
>blown off by 2 old guys (30 years old) on an 1800 foot road climb.
>Comparing me with me, I think I am in slightly better shape now than
>when I was only 37 and did eat at McD's. It helps to have been
>hyperactive all my life, never watch sports on TV but try to get a gang
>to play a game. Hard these days since everyone my age is too old, or
>thinks they are.
>BTW, on topic, is Lance going to continue racing of any kind or just
>fade away? I heard he might go for triathlon since that is what he did
>before the TDF.
>We had a 'Tour De California' last week and he wasn't in it. Maybe it
>was too lightweight, only 700 miles in 8 days.

If he isn't working and training like a pro (and even at his best, his early
season form was never good) he ain't hanging in the ToC.

He's been known to show up at a 'cross race just for grins. We'll see.

Ron

::: di wrote:
:::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:::: news:[email protected]...
::::
::::
::: Yeah,
::: Time is like that, huh?
::: We can be older but also fitter.
::: Bill
::
:: This may sound complicated but.
::
:: "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape
:: as a younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be
:: "Older and fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept
:: yourself in shape most of your life.

You can increase fitness at any stage. Also, I don't see why one can't move
from lack of fitness at a younger age, and improve fitness while growing
older, to achieve a state of "old and fit." If your point is that it's not
likely (because most people don't do that) then I agree. But it is
possible.

Bill Baka wrote:
:: di wrote:
::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::: news:[email protected]...
:::
:::: di wrote:
::::
::::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::::: news:[email protected]...
:::::
:::::
::::
[...]

Avoiding McD is not what helps you. Making wise eating choices does. You
can do that at McDs, too, if you try. You can also make poor eating choices
at home and poor purchases at the supermarket. Hence, avoiding McD is not
what helps you.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> di wrote:
> :: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: di wrote:
> :::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :::: news:[email protected]...
> ::::
> ::::
> ::: Yeah,
> ::: Time is like that, huh?
> ::: We can be older but also fitter.
> ::: Bill
> ::
> :: This may sound complicated but.
> ::
> :: "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape
> :: as a younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be
> :: "Older and fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept
> :: yourself in shape most of your life.
>
> You can increase fitness at any stage. Also, I don't see why one can't move
> from lack of fitness at a younger age, and improve fitness while growing
> older, to achieve a state of "old and fit." If your point is that it's not
> likely (because most people don't do that) then I agree. But it is
> possible.

Kind of what I meant. I am motivated, but so many people are not and
just give up to aging. The lady behind me just died last week at 52, a
non exerciser who just said she was too old for that kind of stuff. Well
now she is, permanently. Go to Jack Lalanne's site and he is 91 and in
better shape than many well under 50. Working out 2 hours (minimum)
every day all your life doesn't hurt a bit.
Lifestyle.
Bill

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> di wrote:
> :: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: di wrote:
> :::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :::: news:[email protected]...
> ::::
> ::::
> ::: Yeah,
> ::: Time is like that, huh?
> ::: We can be older but also fitter.
> ::: Bill
> ::
> :: This may sound complicated but.
> ::
> :: "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape
> :: as a younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be
> :: "Older and fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept
> :: yourself in shape most of your life.
>
> You can increase fitness at any stage. Also, I don't see why one can't
> move from lack of fitness at a younger age, and improve fitness while
> growing older, to achieve a state of "old and fit." If your point is that
> it's not likely (because most people don't do that) then I agree. But it
> is possible.

I agree, but read what I said, if you are in better shape with age, means
you were not as a young person. If I were to get into the best possible
shape I could now, it would not be anywhere close to what I was in my early
20's, mostly likely not even 10%.

Bill Baka wrote:
:::::: di wrote:
::::::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
::::::: news:[email protected]...
:::::::
:::::::
[...]

Yeah, I agree 100%.

You wrote:

"Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape as a
younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be "Older and
fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept yourself in shape most of
your life.

First sentence: I don't think it necessarily means you were in really bad
shape as a younger person. Plenty of people start out really fit, get a job
and responsibilites, get fat, and find that they've lost fitness. Those
folks can improve fitness while getting older. Those folks could, if they
wanted to, be "older and fit", though "fit" is a subective term which really
only applies to a particular activity. I don't think "Older and fit" has to
mean you kept yourself in shape most of your life, those for many it will be
that exactly.

Your last new statement is really hard to grasp. Perhaps you are 90 yo in a
wheelchair and you used to run marathons? Then I get that.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> di wrote:
> :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> :: news:[email protected]...
> ::: di wrote:
> ::::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ::::: news:[email protected]...
> :::::: di wrote:
> ::::::: "Bill Baka" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> ::::::: news:[email protected]...
> :::::::
> :::::::
> :::::: Yeah,
> :::::: Time is like that, huh?
> :::::: We can be older but also fitter.
> :::::: Bill
> :::::
> ::::: This may sound complicated but.
> :::::
> ::::: "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape
> ::::: as a younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be
> ::::: "Older and fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept
> ::::: yourself in shape most of your life.
> :::
> ::: You can increase fitness at any stage. Also, I don't see why one
> ::: can't move from lack of fitness at a younger age, and improve
> ::: fitness while growing older, to achieve a state of "old and fit."
> ::: If your point is that it's not likely (because most people don't do
> ::: that) then I agree. But it is possible.
> :::
> ::
> :: I agree, but read what I said, if you are in better shape with age,
> :: means you were not as a young person. If I were to get into the
> :: best possible shape I could now, it would not be anywhere close to
> :: what I was in my early 20's, mostly likely not even 10%.
>
> You wrote:
>
> "Older and fitter", would likely mean you were in really bad shape as a
> younger person. If that is the case you will probably not be "Older and
> fit". "Older and fit", would mean you have kept yourself in shape most of
> your life.
>
> First sentence: I don't think it necessarily means you were in really bad
> shape as a younger person. Plenty of people start out really fit, get a job
> and responsibilites, get fat, and find that they've lost fitness. Those
> folks can improve fitness while getting older. Those folks could, if they
> wanted to, be "older and fit", though "fit" is a subective term which really
> only applies to a particular activity. I don't think "Older and fit" has to
> mean you kept yourself in shape most of your life, those for many it will be
> that exactly.
>
> Your last new statement is really hard to grasp. Perhaps you are 90 yo in a
> wheelchair and you used to run marathons? Then I get that.

I have to agree with Roger. I can be more fit at 57 than even 27 because
I no longer have to work in a cubicle and can take as much time as I
want to work out, ride, hike, swim, and Boat rowing (great for the upper
body). At 27 I had youth on my side but work against me. I still work
but it is more on my terms these days, so more workout time. Also, when
I was 27 I watched way too much television and now almost none. It all
makes a difference, but you have to start with the anti-aging attitude.
Bill