Politicians and their bikes

Dr Kickstand wrote:
> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> one.... What about Gordo?

It seems our new President, Monsieur Sarkozy, is a mean VVTiste.

EFR
Ile de France

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
> Dr Kickstand wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
>> one.... What about Gordo?

> It seems our new President, Monsieur Sarkozy, is a mean VVTiste.
>
> EFR
> Ile de France

Sorry, I meant VTTiste.
EFR

Andreas Schulze-Bäing wrote:
> Am 11 May 2007 16:09:56 -0700 schrieb Dr Kickstand:

>> What about Gordo?

> I doubt that he cycles. Plus he's blind on one eye, which might make it
> more difficult to cycle.

File under 'Excuse' rather than 'Reason'.

I know from previous posts that I am not the only regular cyclist
posting here with exceptionally poor eyesight in one eye, due to it
being 'lazy' from birth.

ts <[email protected]> wrote:

> Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Dr Kickstand twisted the electrons to say:
> > > I was wondering what other Politicians cycle. I know David Cameron is
> > > one.... What about Gordo?

> > Hugh Bayley, the MP for York has a bike in York and a bike in London.
> > Apparently, he brings the London bike up to York on the train when it
> > needs servicing so I guess that means he even has experience of bikes on
> > public transport.

> And perhaps experience of what it is like getting his bike serviced in
> London? :)

the bike shop i use now i'm in london. is lot better than the ones i
used to use in the breacon beacons. its also a lot quicker to walk one's
bike to...

roger

Dr Kickstand wrote:
What about Gordo?

Can find no evidence of his being a cyclist, but the press is full of
his plans for building "eco-communities" which would be designed to
discourage car use and encourage public transport and bikes.

Can't understand why he's so unpopular? I approve of nerds for PM - it's
a much solider value than golden boys and media-babes.

EFR
Ile de France

Quoting Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email protected]>:
>Dr Kickstand wrote:
>>What about Gordo?

>Can't understand why he's so unpopular?

The PFI fiddle, for starters.
Today is Second Sunday, May - a weekend.

ts twisted the electrons to say:
> And perhaps experience of what it is like getting his bike serviced in
> London? :)

IIRC, his comment was something to the effect of "I'm sure there are good
places to get a bicycle serviced in London. However once you've found
one good place you tend to keep going there ...".

in message <[email protected]>, Elisa Francesca
Roselli ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Dr Kickstand wrote:
> What about Gordo?
>
> Can find no evidence of his being a cyclist, but the press is full of
> his plans for building "eco-communities" which would be designed to
> discourage car use and encourage public transport and bikes.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6653687.stm
>
> Can't understand why he's so unpopular? I approve of nerds for PM - it's
> a much solider value than golden boys and media-babes.

I last met him more than thirty years ago; however, he was then energetic,
focussed, and enormously intelligent. Nothing I've seen indicates that
that has changed. I hope he'll make a good job of being Union prime
minister, but I'm frankly more interested in seeing how good a shot wee
Alec can make of being National prime minister. They're both extremely
capable people; we could be in for a period of good governance.

I think the main reason the media don't like Gordon is because, unlike
Toady, he doesn't pander to them.

Good luck with Sarko - I have a nasty feeling you may need it.

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:06:00 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>Good luck with Sarko - I have a nasty feeling you may need it.

Colleagues of mine at the RATP (Paris metro authority) said to me that
I should make sure I "keep my bike greased" - they are anticipating
considerable strike action later in the year.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Elisa Francesca
> Roselli ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Dr Kickstand wrote:
>> What about Gordo?
>>
>> Can find no evidence of his being a cyclist, but the press is full of
>> his plans for building "eco-communities" which would be designed to
>> discourage car use and encourage public transport and bikes.
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6653687.stm
>>
>> Can't understand why he's so unpopular? I approve of nerds for PM - it's
>> a much solider value than golden boys and media-babes.

> I last met him more than thirty years ago; however, he was then energetic,
> focussed, and enormously intelligent. Nothing I've seen indicates that
> that has changed. I hope he'll make a good job of being Union prime
> minister, but I'm frankly more interested in seeing how good a shot wee
> Alec can make of being National prime minister. They're both extremely
> capable people; we could be in for a period of good governance.

With respect to Scotland I do hope so. I've been annoyed and
embarrassed that after managing to get a sort of local parliament we
ended up being "governed" by what looked like a gang of resprayed
local councillors whose narrow-minded lack of intelligence had far
more to do with what they failed to achieve than the colour of their
politics.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]