Politics

Andre

Guest
I'm not much into cycling politics, and I haven't kept up with the
Paris-Nice fiasco; but could someone please explain why the organizers
are impeding Gilbert from racing?

thanks,

Andre

Andre wrote:
> I'm not much into cycling politics, and I haven't kept up with the
> Paris-Nice fiasco; but could someone please explain why the organizers
> are impeding Gilbert from racing?

It seems to be the team rather than the organisers. Same with Cavendish
(who is doing Tirreno-Adriatico instead)and Wiggins. Their federation
doesn't want to risk them being suspended and the teams concurred.

On Mar 5, 6:27 pm, Dan Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Andre wrote:
> > I'm not much into cycling politics, and I haven't kept up with the
> > Paris-Nice fiasco; but could someone please explain why the organizers
> > are impeding Gilbert from racing?

> It seems to be the team rather than the organisers. Same with Cavendish
> (who is doing Tirreno-Adriatico instead)and Wiggins. Their federation
> doesn't want to risk them being suspended and the teams concurred.

Thanks, and excuse my ignorance, but why would they be suspended? Or
the teams concurred?

Andre wrote:
> excuse my ignorance

No I won't. Go visit one of those links you so often dump here and
read up on the ASO/UCI conflict.

Andre wrote:
> On Mar 5, 6:27 pm, Dan Gregory
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Andre wrote:
>>> I'm not much into cycling politics, and I haven't kept up with the
>>> Paris-Nice fiasco; but could someone please explain why the organizers
>>> are impeding Gilbert from racing?

>> It seems to be the team rather than the organisers. Same with Cavendish
>> (who is doing Tirreno-Adriatico instead)and Wiggins. Their federation
>> doesn't want to risk them being suspended and the teams concurred.

> Thanks, and excuse my ignorance, but why would they be suspended? Or
> the teams concurred?

All riders taking part in the PN have been threatened with Fines & or
suspension. British Cycling depends on Olympic money for their mere
existence and Wiggins and Cavendish have to get points in the Track
World Cup to ensure the Olympic Team is fully represented. World Cup is
the UCI - so BC asked HighRoad to release the two riders from the squad.
The team went along with BC's request.