Poll: Am I a "Fred", or am I fast?

Excellent response donhix1. It's sad that people feel the need to put others down especially when those same people are helping to finance there habit. Maybe when those "Fred namers" get to be 50+ and wanna be's again, they will have a better perspective of people that enjoy the same sport they enjoy but are not quite up to the level they once had.

donhix1 said:
The whole Fred concept was concieved by Cat 1 and 2 racers who had a serious inferiority complex. They are good enough to beat everyone in a race but not good enough to have someone else buy them a nice bike. They also train so much that they haven't gotten a real job yet. Then an average guy buys a nice Italian bike that is too busy with work and family to train and he gets labeled a Fred.
I am not refering to all good racers as there are alot of good guys, just the ones who use the term Fred.
Freds are the ones who keep the bike industry a float by buying the nice eqipment, which allows bike shops and equipment manufacturers to sponsor bike races for the people who use the term Fred.
Yeah - what he said...

Look close enough and someone will always mention 'girth' when talking of 'unleashing' something or other. Oh, and 'straining thews' pop up too....:eek:

Johnny O-R said:
Look close enough and someone will always mention 'girth' when talking of 'unleashing' something or other. Oh, and 'straining thews' pop up too....:eek:
My goal is to be a fast Fred. To appear like a total dork but have the ability to cause great suffering among my fellow bicyclists as they try and hold my wheel....
A guy can dream can't he.

:p

Sheesh, what's a newbie to do?
If we try to join a group ride with our thrift shop bike , we get laughed at because it's not a Cannondale, Serotta, whatever.
If we buy a nice bike and work to bring ourselves up to the bike's level but aren't there yet - we're freds :p

fatbottomedgirl said:
:p

Sheesh, what's a newbie to do?
If we try to join a group ride with our thrift shop bike , we get laughed at because it's not a Cannondale, Serotta, whatever.
If we buy a nice bike and work to bring ourselves up to the bike's level but aren't there yet - we're freds :p

This is true. But Freds are what make the cycling world go round. Somebody has to buy the expensive bikes to keep the manufacturers in business. Trek would go out of business if only Cat 1 and 2 riders were the only ones riding Madonnes. Plus many Cat 1 and 2 riders train so much that there career suffers.

donhix1 said:
This is true. But Freds are what make the cycling world go round. Somebody has to buy the expensive bikes to keep the manufacturers in business. Trek would go out of business if only Cat 1 and 2 riders were the only ones riding Madonnes. Plus many Cat 1 and 2 riders train so much that there career suffers.
So if I go out and buy a corvette or a porshe then I am considered a Fred? No. And what about a Harley? Again no! So ignore the Fred namers. Enjoy what is healthy for your body, a great way to meet people, and appreciate what a fine piece of equipment you have knowning that the Fred namers are just jealous.

donhix1 said:
100% correct. There are Freds in the computer biz too. Look at how expensive many of the gaming video cards are. The profit margins are in the so called high end components that are often three times the price yet only offer 5% more performance.

Same is true of bikes and components. I am certain that I would ride just as poorly with Dura-Ace components on a carbon fiber bike as I currently do on my aluminum frame with Tiagra components.

... unleash my fitness ... what a load!!! :D

yzfrr11 said:
In general, I don't believe that expensive equipment provides any significant performance advantage for anyone. The thing that I find hillarious is when an overweight/out-of shape rider tries to save weight by using expensive/light-weight equipment. This "Fred" is riding a "Fred-cycle"!

However, I ride very expensive equipment for two reasons. First, I am passionate for cycling and training, and it gives me pleasure to train and ride on nice equipmnet - but I realize that it is not making me faster.

But more importantly, I admit that I am a competitive athlete; that is one of the things I like about cycling. And I love inflicting pain and suffering on other cyclist by unleashing my fitness on them during a ride/race. But when they see that I am doing it to them on a "Fred-cycle" it hurts them all the more. Am I a "Fred"? Maybe - but you can't call someone a "Fred" when you are suffering and can't breath.
What is a "Fred"? I've never heard that term before, sounds kinda strange.

joule said:
So if I go out and buy a corvette or a porshe then I am considered a Fred? No. And what about a Harley? Again no! So ignore the Fred namers. Enjoy what is healthy for your body, a great way to meet people, and appreciate what a fine piece of equipment you have knowning that the Fred namers are just jealous.
THANK YOU! the attitude some people have about equipment is ridiculous. It's like saying you aren't allowed to own a Porsche or a Mazda Miata unless you've had at least two top-ten class finishes in an autocross.