poll: best cross country suspension fork

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Lone Wolf, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

    Tags:

  2. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

  3. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

  4. Santa

    Santa Guest

    "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions

    Any other fork in the market is better than that.

  5. Santa

    Santa Guest

    > Oh, and your webpage rocks.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    ohh cinicism, poor guy.

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  7. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:06:31 -0800 (PST), [email protected] (lone wolf) wrote:

    >I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
    >
    >http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

    I loved my Manitou SXr I like my rigid even better (came with the Bianchi)

    :-]

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > give me you opinions

    Perhaps if you asked nicely.

    Instead, I will withhold all information relating to Marzocchi's total dominance of the front fork
    world...even though I prefer using a Manitou Black Elite 80/100.

    See, I'm not going to tell you that.

    Chris

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
    > >
    > > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
    > >

    > Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC suspension fork. IMO.
    >
    > Mike

    It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being brave
    at the very least.

    Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let us
    know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does. If he
    rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he delves into
    more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to his size,
    probably a Z2 coil/oil.

    JD

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me
    you
    > > > opinions
    > > >
    > > > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
    > > >

    > > Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC
    suspension
    > > fork. IMO.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being
    > brave at the very least.

    Brave, maybe...but I don't think those "truck projects" are gonna attract the babes!

    Bill "junk yard chic?" S.

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    [snip]
    >If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
    >delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to his
    >size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
    >
    >JD

    Am I to understand that you are saying that you need a suspension fork to ride technical terrain?

    I'm just wondering, what are you considering "technical terrain" that is suspension worthy?

    Sure if you're some freaky, 6-foot-drop-trail-busting-huckster, then go with something that will
    break before your body does.

    Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with a
    fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

    IMO (notice the missing H) I'd stick with the rigid (Surly or otherwise)

    Peace, Bill(didn't mention SS....oops there I go)Wheeler

    :-]

  13. Fred Hinkson

    Fred Hinkson Guest

    Anything but a RS.

    MTB Ride hard die free.

  14. "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
    >
    > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

    I bought a Z1 MCR last year from Supergo and have been VERY happy with it. They have this @ $339.
    The ECC has been great for climbing and riding on the road, (I usually ride from my home to get to
    the good stuff).

    http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=18465&company=Mar
    zocchi&secid=7559&subid=1808

    The scoundrels at Pricepoint have the EXR on sale if you're on a tighter budget, $149.98

    http://pricepoint.com/product1530.html

    Hope this helps

    mtb mike jones

  15. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
    > > >
    > > > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
    > > >

    > > Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC suspension fork. IMO.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being
    > brave at the very least.

    Brave for posting here. And using Webtv ta boot!

    > Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let
    > us know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does.
    > If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
    > delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
    > his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.

    His fork would be worth more than his truck. OTOH, I am currently sans car, so who am I to judge?

  16. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with
    > a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

    It's time that you review the videos of "Moore Fun." Riding it rigid would be more punishment than
    you or I would probably be willing to face.

    -John Morgan
    --
    To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

  17. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

    ok.... i ride on single track and fireroads mostly.... was thinking maybe of getting a manitou axle
    or a rockshox duke... those are the main 2 forks in my pricerange.......... fyi... i got the datsun
    for $70 us.... i dont like to sit around, so i have many things to keep me busy

    http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

  18. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

  19. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  20. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [snip]
    > >If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
    > >delves into more technical terrain, then an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
    > >his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
    > >
    > >JD
    >
    > Am I to understand that you are saying that you need a suspension fork to ride technical terrain?

    Look at the guy, he'll need it.

    > I'm just wondering, what are you considering "technical terrain" that is suspension worthy?

    Me? I'll ride my SS on any trail.

    > Sure if you're some freaky, 6-foot-drop-trail-busting-huckster, then go with something that will
    > break before your body does.

    That's only for wannabe freeride dorks. Check the trials riders who can launch off of a 10' drop on
    a rigid bike.

    > Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with
    > a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

    You need to see for yourself before you make that determination.

    > IMO (notice the missing H) I'd stick with the rigid (Surly or otherwise)

    Recommendations for the Lone Wolf should not be those made to an experienced cyclist, or one who
    *thinks* they are experienced.

    JD