poll: best cross country suspension fork

> Oh, and your webpage rocks.
>
> -John Morgan

ohh cinicism, poor guy.

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:06:31 -0800 (PST), [email protected] (lone wolf) wrote:

>I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
>
>http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

I loved my Manitou SXr I like my rigid even better (came with the Bianchi)

:-]

> give me you opinions

Perhaps if you asked nicely.

Instead, I will withhold all information relating to Marzocchi's total dominance of the front fork
world...even though I prefer using a Manitou Black Elite 80/100.

See, I'm not going to tell you that.

Chris

"Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
> >
> > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
> >

> Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC suspension fork. IMO.
>
> Mike

It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being brave
at the very least.

Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let us
know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does. If he
rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he delves into
more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to his size,
probably a Z2 coil/oil.

JD

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me
you
> > > opinions
> > >
> > > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
> > >

> > Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC
suspension
> > fork. IMO.
> >
> > Mike
>
> It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being
> brave at the very least.

Brave, maybe...but I don't think those "truck projects" are gonna attract the babes!

Bill "junk yard chic?" S.

[snip]
>If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
>delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to his
>size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
>
>JD

Am I to understand that you are saying that you need a suspension fork to ride technical terrain?

I'm just wondering, what are you considering "technical terrain" that is suspension worthy?

Sure if you're some freaky, 6-foot-drop-trail-busting-huckster, then go with something that will
break before your body does.

Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with a
fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

IMO (notice the missing H) I'd stick with the rigid (Surly or otherwise)

Peace, Bill(didn't mention SS....oops there I go)Wheeler

:-]

"lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
>
> http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage

I bought a Z1 MCR last year from Supergo and have been VERY happy with it. They have this @ $339.
The ECC has been great for climbing and riding on the road, (I usually ride from my home to get to
the good stuff).

http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?compflag=0&parentid=18465&company=Mar
zocchi&secid=7559&subid=1808

The scoundrels at Pricepoint have the EXR on sale if you're on a tighter budget, $149.98

http://pricepoint.com/product1530.html

Hope this helps

mtb mike jones

> "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "lone wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am looking to replace my RST 170B with a better fork...... give me you opinions
> > >
> > > http://community.webtv.net/lone_wolf_1971/lonewolfswebpage
> > >

> > Disturbing website aside. The Marzocchi Marathon is the best XC suspension fork. IMO.
> >
> > Mike
>
> It's much less disturbing than duhski's spank posts. You gotta give Lone Wolf credit for being
> brave at the very least.

Brave for posting here. And using Webtv ta boot!

> Since Mr Wolf is a bigger rider, the Marathon would be a little light. Of course he needs to let
> us know what bike he intends on putting his new fork on, as well as what kind of riding he does.
> If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
> delves into more technical terrain, ten an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
> his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.

His fork would be worth more than his truck. OTOH, I am currently sans car, so who am I to judge?

> Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with
> a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

It's time that you review the videos of "Moore Fun." Riding it rigid would be more punishment than
you or I would probably be willing to face.

-John Morgan
--
To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [snip]
> >If he rides smooth singletrack, then a Surly fork would be suffcient, precise and light. If he
> >delves into more technical terrain, then an offering from the Bomberhood will be required due to
> >his size, probably a Z2 coil/oil.
> >
> >JD
>
> Am I to understand that you are saying that you need a suspension fork to ride technical terrain?

Look at the guy, he'll need it.

> I'm just wondering, what are you considering "technical terrain" that is suspension worthy?

Me? I'll ride my SS on any trail.

> Sure if you're some freaky, 6-foot-drop-trail-busting-huckster, then go with something that will
> break before your body does.

That's only for wannabe freeride dorks. Check the trials riders who can launch off of a 10' drop on
a rigid bike.

> Granted I haven't BEEN to Frutia (yet) but MOST of what I've seen looks like it can be ridden with
> a fully rigid, albeit with slower and more thoughtful riding. It's all about the challenge.

You need to see for yourself before you make that determination.

> IMO (notice the missing H) I'd stick with the rigid (Surly or otherwise)

Recommendations for the Lone Wolf should not be those made to an experienced cyclist, or one who
*thinks* they are experienced.

JD