POLL : Broken Trek Frames

StillRiding5500

Sep 21, 2004
Please respond to this poll if you are a Trek owner. There is a poster in this forum who declares that every single one of his friends (100%) have had a Trek frame fail. Have you ever broken a Trek frame?

Depends on your definition of "broken". I had a part come unglued after 12 years. If you count that as "broken" I'll vote yes.

But broken to me means "cracked" i.e. the bike is unrideable and the frame is toast. But it's your poll, so you decide.

btw, I have more then one Trek frame, so I could actually vote both choices above. ;)

You should have other options for the poll so that those of us who have never owned a Trek could see the results without having to skew the results.

dgregory57 said:
You should have other options for the poll so that those of us who have never owned a Trek could see the results without having to skew the results.
Just click "View Poll Results" right below the poll.

StillRiding5500 said:
Please respond to this poll if you are a Trek owner. There is a poster in this forum who declares that every single one of his friends (100%) have had a Trek frame fail. Have you ever broken a Trek frame?

I responded no on account of my 23-yr old steel TREK made the old-fashioned way in Wisconsin, which is probably not representative of the current breed of aluminum and carbon bikes that they make.

John M said:
I responded no on account of my 23-yr old steel TREK made the old-fashioned way in Wisconsin, which is probably not representative of the current breed of aluminum and carbon bikes that they make.
Aluminum no, but the higher end carbon bikes are still made in Wisconsin. In fact, up until 2006, all Trek carbon bikes were made in Wisconsin.

John M said:
I responded no on account of my 23-yr old steel TREK.
I responed yes on account of my 20 yr old steel Trek. It has bottom bracket flex, so the gears shift automatically when I push very hard on the pedals or pedal over bumps. I still ride it, but look forward to buying a custom Bob Jackson with lugs all over.

lugger said:
I responed yes on account of my 20 yr old steel Trek. It has bottom bracket flex, so the gears shift automatically when I push very hard on the pedals or pedal over bumps. I still ride it, but look forward to buying a custom Bob Jackson with lugs all over.
Frame no, but the Bontrager wheels are ****. Less then 9 months and bent two sets of rims. Second set were a warrenty replacement

StillRiding5500 said:

yes one member of our club did - but only after an all too intimate encounter with a scooter , tailgated by a prat doing 80 kph in a 40 zone .

StillRiding5500 said:
Believe he was talking about two MTB racer buddies. Obviously, hard MTB riding can break frames. Don't see how his rant has anything to do with road bikes. Believe he uses this story to argue his opinion that AL bikes of any kind are no good, while Ti bikes are unbreakable.

I could tell your about a Cat 1 here who's broken several Ti bikes, including a couple of Merlins, but what would that really prove? (The second part of the story is that over the years, he's broken more than a dozen frames: steel, AL, CF, and Ti.)

I crashed my 1500. broke my hip, but the frame held out fine

StillRiding5500 said:

Sep 2003 I bought a new Trek 8000. I ride five or six days a week. No problems with the frame to date.

I've ridden a 1500 for two years now, with no problems; however I have had no crashes...yet.

15% is a pretty big %.

I've had a very big crash and it came out with a little scratch. My head probably took the brunt as my helmet split in half...

I'm happy with my TREK5500 and I've had it 2 years.

all carbon oclv frames are still made in Wi.
cydewaze said:
Aluminum no, but the higher end carbon bikes are still made in Wisconsin. In fact, up until 2006, all Trek carbon bikes were made in Wisconsin.

StillRiding5500 said:
:confused: I have had rough falls with my 2005 Trek 1200 during 2005. About five heavy falls of which three was at high speed and believe me except, for the handle bars that god badly damaged and replaced, NOTHING happened to the frame. Fellow cyclists who was present at each and every fall could not believe that my bicycle is still going - with no pain to the frame at all. No cracks na tears - nothing broken!