POLL : Broken Trek Frames

Just got word from my bike shop that Trek would NOT replace my carbon fiber mountain bike frame which cracked when I went down hard on a root harder than the tube. $1,800 is what they want for replacement. Anyone know where else I could try for a better discount? So much for a lifetime guarantee!

bodon said:
Just got word from my bike shop that Trek would NOT replace my carbon fiber mountain bike frame which cracked when I went down hard on a root harder than the tube. $1,800 is what they want for replacement. Anyone know where else I could try for a better discount? So much for a lifetime guarantee!
Calfee repairs CF frames.

bodon said:

Lifetime guarantee on the bike doesn't include what happens when the bike is crashed on things that do damage to the bike. If you crash, you pay, unless the manufacturer offers a cheaper replacement cost.

Does anyone really believe they should allowed the benefits of a lifetime guarantee when they crash their own bikes all by themselves?

alienator said:
Lifetime guarantee on the bike doesn't include what happens when the bike is crashed on things that do damage to the bike. If you crash, you pay, unless the manufacturer offers a cheaper replacement cost.

Does anyone really believe they should allowed the benefits of a lifetime guarantee when they crash their own bikes all by themselves?

They definitely have to draw a line somewhere between:
I smashed my frame to bits with a sledge hammer... give me another..
To:
I was riding to the shops and my frame cracked...give me another.

My Trek has been in 3 massive crashes and is fine...

JAPANic said:
They definitely have to draw a line somewhere between:
I smashed my frame to bits with a sledge hammer... give me another..
To:
I was riding to the shops and my frame cracked...give me another.

My Trek has been in 3 massive crashes and is fine...

Exactly. I have to admit, though, that I wish Suzuki and Honda would have given me free replacements for all of the motorcycles I crashed racing. What a wonderful world that would be.

Never owned a Trek. A club friend of mine though had two Trek aluminum frames that both cracked at the BB shell. One of them was fairly old (mid 90's maybe) and they replaced it for free. The other one was newer but cracked in the same place. Also replaced for free. Poor quality but great customer service.

My friend weighs about 80 lbs less than me and although he's a masher, I've put just as many hard miles on my CAAD8 with no issues.

Yes, Trek wouldn't stay in business if they replaced every rider's demolished frame, nor would such a policy encourage responsible riding; but I had to ask... a trade-in discount is certainly not out of the question, especially considering the strength of CF and the reputation of Trek.

Agree a discount would be a good customer-loyality move for Trek. Perhaps they feel they are giving you a break just by selling you a replacement frame.

CF is very strong in tension loads, but that doesn't include impacts from bashing the frame tubes on roots and rocks. For that kind of use, seems to me a cheaper heavy-wall aluminum or steel frame would be a better choice.

Thank you for taking the time to comment; hopefully others will benefit from your contribution. For the record, I remain partial to Trek and to carbon fiber. I've duct-taped my tube and continue to ride while saving up for a replacement.

No problems here. Of coarse Trek frames break so do colonogo, pinarello, de rosa, specialized, giant....... No matter what material, I ride with guys that have broke all 3 major types of building material. There are 4 Treks and two Cannondales plus an Opus in my families stable and none have broke, I still believe a lot depends on the rider.

I have owned three different generations of Trek OCLV frames starting in 1996, and nary a one has developed a crack in the frame. These include 5200, 5500, and Madone 5.5.

I am 6'0" tall and 165lbs so not a huge stress load, but ride fairly hard.

My 5500 was in 3 mammoth crashes that would have bent steel or aluminium. Still going strong. I also have a 5.2 Madone that has yet to bare the brunt.

Originally Posted by javaruke .

I am 6'0" tall and 165lbs so not a huge stress load, but ride fairly hard.
Same here i'm also light but have an awesome power output. My new trek stands up to my stomp sessions without a problem.

I witnessed a Felt frame failure a couple of weeks ago. Noticed the back wheel of the bike in front of me seemed to be jumping around, like the wheel was failed or the axle skewer was loose. When I came up to mention it to the rider, saw the left chainstay was completely cracked through right in back of the BB shell weld. He first thought I was joking when I said his non-drive chainstay was all loose and floppy at the front. Said the frame was old, his "beater bike" but didn't offer any specifics. He dropped out of the paceline to hobble the five miles or so back home.