POLL: Do you wear a helmet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Revolutionary, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Revolutionary

Revolutionary New Member

Hello,

I know this has probably come up before, but I was seeking for an up-to-date poll to see whether the majority of us actually wear helmets.

I don't, but sometimes I think I ought to...

Tags:

2. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

Having once actually had a helmet save my noggin, you will never see me ride without one.

3. BigUgly

BigUgly New Member

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I didn't wear a helmet for 39 years. The more I thought about it, the more I was beginning to beleive that I was living on borrowed time. Then my lady decided she wanted to take up cycling, so I bought helmets for both of us.

What I really hate is for someone to mandate that I have to wear a helmet. If Ohio ever tries to pass a helmet law for bicycles (other than for juveniles), I will fight them every inch of the way.

5. mongooseboy

mongooseboy New Member

I wear my helmet on the road, and i have another for offroad, but on the local bike path (erie canal trail here in NY state) i dont. I probably should, but its a much much slower safer pace than road riding or off-road for that matter lol

6. warriorcliff77

warriorcliff77 New Member

kd: I'm not trying to insite a war or anything, but i would like to offer you a reason for manditory helmets:
    1)if something as simple as a helmet could prevent severe brain damage or death, why would you opose it?
    2)I know our healthcare systems are different, however, lets say someone is left with severe brain damage from a cycling accident where no helmet was worn. Who do think pays for that persons treatment? (tax payers). Now because said person is now physically disabled, they now qualify for disability pension, Who pays for that? (taxpayers again sam.) Now what do think is the cost to a)treat said person, b)support said person for the rest of their natural life.

Why should society as a whole be forced to pay for other peoples stupidities? And please don't bother with the " it's my right to decide" argument, because unfortunately i DON'T get to decide to support said "brain dead" person.

7. Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm New Member

thankfully today's helmets (mine is a Bell Sweep R) are light and not as dorky-looking as in the past--I'm dorky-looking enuf without the added...

well---

I wear the helmet always with one exception...

the only exception to wearing the helmet is when I'm on a climb (climbing only...not a climb with false flats and intermittent descents) in warm weather--warm here is anything over +20C. Put the helmet up front and put it back my on my noggin for the descent

8. J5311

J5311 New Member

before I never did, but when i buy my new bike i will... for many reasons, one is that its a trek 1000 & i have never been on a real road bike before & i'm sure i will fall a few times, but the main reason is that a family freind was killed on sept. 22 06. He was an awesome guy, everyone loved him, & he would do anything for anyone. there used to be a website but i just looked & it wasn't up :(
    i'll post it up for future reffrances just incase my friend (his daughter) ever gets it back up
    http://www.daviddhammarfoundation.org/

9. UncleFred

UncleFred New Member

I smashed a helmet in a crash a few weeks ago, I hit the deck at 30mph and the first thing to make contact with the floor was my head. I got concussion and whiplash and a bruise on the side of my head. Don't want to think about what would have happened if I wasn't wearing it.

10. clackerz

clackerz New Member

Do we need a poll for this?
    I can't believe there are people out there who ride without one!

wowbango likes this.
  11. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

Well...I always wear mind unless I am doing mechanical stuff and just riding it on the street, I always wear my helmet. Also at races, at least here in Florida, even if you are just riding from your car to sign-in, they make you wear your helmet.

12. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I never cycle my bike without wearing a helmet.

13. Stu07

Stu07 New Member

The term in Australia used for riders not wearing helmets is "organ donors".

I really don't understand the question - would be better to phrase it "why on earth would you not wear a helmet?" It'll save your life and once you used to it, is completely comfortable to wear. The number of smashed helmets I have seen from crashes you would think would make it a no brainer (pardon the pun) to wear one.

14. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

15. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

always

wear

a

helmet

16. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Hi Cliff,

No war from me. You make a lot of good points, but I am going to bother you with "it should be the right of any adult to be stupid". You can decide whether or not you support a brain dead person by using the system. Get enough people who feel as you do, contact your congressmen and senators, and then vote. Granted this takes a lot of work and a lot of time, but it can be done. I'm just an old libertarian at heart and I don't like other people telling me how I have to live my life or trying to save me from myself:rolleyes: .

17. sogood

sogood New Member

A-L-W-A-Y-S!!!

The brain is too fragile an organ to not give it max protection. You'll know if you've ever done any neurosurgery and sucked up those grey/white matters into a sucker. :D

18. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

First, i always wear a bicycle helmet.

But, I'm against helmet laws of all kinds.

Second, I'm another Ohioan with kdlong. I despise seatbelt laws too. When the put seatbelts on my Harley-Davidsons...THEN, and only then, can you tell me i have to wear one in a car or truck.

Let those who ride...decide!

19. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Uh-huh. That almost makes sense....or not.

Rode a new Harley or two. Biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen: don't turn; don't stop; don't do anything well except give people from ABATE a reason for breathing.

20. reub2000

reub2000 New Member

I have a friend who crashed on his bycycle, and suffered a bad concusion. He thinks he would have been dead if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.

I'm with you on this one.