POLL: Do you wear a helmet?

Yes of course! That's really needed and it's for everyone's sake to wear helmet all the time whenever going out for a ride in any type of bike you got. It's better to get yourself all geared up before going out. It will really help you save yourself from harm. Need to include helmet on my list.

Frenchay Hospital in Bristol (UK) has a head trauma ward. The overwhelming
majority of the paitents are in there suffering from head injuries when they were
in motor vehicles.

No one is advocating that motorists and their passengers should wear helmets when driving.
Or perhaps they should!

Most cycling fatalities that I heard here in our place were results of either not wearing a protective gears like helmet or overspeeding this facts only suggest that wearing helmet is really important.

Frenchay Hospital in Bristol (UK) has a head trauma ward. The overwhelming
majority of the paitents are in there suffering from head injuries when they were
in motor vehicles.

No one is advocating that motorists and their passengers should wear helmets when driving.
Or perhaps they should!
There are a lot of advocates for wearing helmets, there are even advertisements about it, and some countries have made it a law for motorists to wear helmets. It's just a sad case of people being too confident and thinking that they don't need a helmet because they believe they won't get into an accident, or some people thinking that they save money not buying a helmet.

No one has produced sources to state that cycle fatalities are due to head trauma. Perhaps, when an
individual is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle the cause could be internal organ failure from
an impact with such vehicle. Death form a fall from a bike could be caused by internal bleeding, etc etc.

All I can read on this topic is anecdotal rhetoric about helmets saving an individual's life.

Long rides...yes, Short rides...no. Although it's a rule to always wear a helmet when riding there are times when your just going out for a leisurely ride that helmets aren't really comfortable. But generally i always wear one.

Wearing helmet is for your own safety. There are lots of people out there who died because of not wearing one. Years ago, my uncle died because he wasn't wearing one. If only he wore it that day he might have a chance of surviving. As for making it a law, I don't see any problem with that. It won't hurt anybody to be on the safe side. But anyway, we are entitled to our own opinions.

Always. Unless it’s a .5 mile commute to work which I don’t care about speed or time and I use my hybrid instead of road in that situation I just wear it but don’t buckle it. Anything MTB or actually cycling always

I do wear helmets. Sometimes I don't wear them when I'm riding near our house. I'm just riding for a few minutes in a peaceful neighborhood. So I'm not worried about others passing by.

Having once actually had a helmet save my noggin, you will never see me ride without one.

That's one reason many wear theirs all the time. I guess I probably should too. It's something that's highly recommended whenever we're riding outside.

I didn't wear a helmet for 39 years. The more I thought about it, the more I was beginning to beleive that I was living on borrowed time. Then my lady decided she wanted to take up cycling, so I bought helmets for both of us.

What I really hate is for someone to mandate that I have to wear a helmet. If Ohio ever tries to pass a helmet law for bicycles (other than for juveniles), I will fight them every inch of the way.

It's certainly unnerving. Many don't want to feel anxious while riding. So they just follow basic protocols like wearing protective gears. I'm sure we've all experienced that.

I wear my helmet on the road, and i have another for offroad, but on the local bike path (erie canal trail here in NY state) i dont. I probably should, but its a much much slower safer pace than road riding or off-road for that matter lol

I know what you mean. Also, I find it interesting that most people in movies rarely wear their helmets outside. I guess it just looks better because most helmets look off.

I smashed a helmet in a crash a few weeks ago, I hit the deck at 30mph and the first thing to make contact with the floor was my head. I got concussion and whiplash and a bruise on the side of my head. Don't want to think about what would have happened if I wasn't wearing it.

Another fine example of how wearing helmets can save lives. So I wonder if others will reconsider wearing it all the time. It's something to think about.

Do we need a poll for this?
I can't believe there are people out there who ride without one!

I'm sure it's more about people's initial reaction. Others just feel that they don't need it. Others simply think that there's a time when they can choose not wear it.

Yes. Though it is very hot here as I am working in UAE. But safety always comes first.
I believe the helmet protects your head from the sun. With no head covering at all, you are susceptible to your brain becoming overheated and doing strange things. I used to ride a motorcycle with no helmet on, and I found that after riding in the sun for a couple of hours, the yellow lines down the middle of the roads looked lime green. The first time I saw it, I thought the state was onto something new. Then seeing them the next day, they were yellow. That's when I realized that the sun had affected me.

Reactions: vac2018
Well, here's my latest finding: The reason that helmets don't save lives is for several reasons. Firstly they are designed to prevent the breaking of your skull. That is not what causes most "head only" injury deaths. These deaths are caused by severe concussion which helmets cannot protect from. There is insufficient room around you to make a helmet effective against that, which someone would be willing to wear.

Secondly and most important - the CDC reports that the majority of people in bicycle-vehicle accidents die from head injuries. This is both a truth and a falsehood. Yes the initial cause of death is a head injury. And these head injuries are so severe that the helmet would have no effect whatsoever. But more importantly because of the speed of collisions the entire body has severe trauma and if the head was completely uninvolved it would still be fatal. What the hell does it matter if you're wearing a helmet and a car hits you at 40 mph? Your internal organs are still destroyed and you are still deader than a dead duck.

This IS NOT a case against wearing helmets. This is because only a tiny percentage of bicycle accidents involved high speed collisions with automobiles. Most are the cyclist losing control and falling off the damn bicycle and hitting your head. And this is EXACTLY what a helmet was initially designed for and what it doesn't do well.

But it does work well at the normal bicycle accident where you fall off of your bike for one reason or another and your head is not the first thing to connect with the ground. It is the human instinct to fall in such a manner that you protect your head. And it is that reason why helmets provide important protection. They will not "save your life" though in some tiny percentage of cases they may, but because they work just enough to prevent concussions in MOST of the single bicycle accidents.

So wear a helmet but do not fool yourself into thinking that a helmet is any other sort of safety device with more effect than a set of knee pads would be.