Poll- Do you wear a helmet?

mapof65 said:
Aboslutely!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm also a trauma nurse. Helmets save lives! I live in Portland, and I've seen a few old school idiots and hipsters wearing nothing. That's why they end up in the hospital brain dead or they will never walk, feed themselves, or wipe their own butt again.

Well, the good thing about helmetless riders--both bicycle and motorcycle--is that given the country's need for more donated organs, the helmetless provide what can be a terrific source of multiple organs.

alienator said:
Well, the good thing about helmetless riders--both bicycle and motorcycle--is that given the country's need for more donated organs, the helmetless provide what can be a terrific source of multiple organs.
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you didn't see it I'll say it again. In my state, Texas, we go back and forth on helmet laws being strong and weak. Apparently it's a free country and the government shouldn't stop you from being wreckless with your life if you want to be wreckless. (even though it drives up costs for everyone else).

But yeah, so they actually correlated a reduction in organ donations during years when helmet laws were stronger and vice versa.

mapof65 said:
Aboslutely!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm also a trauma nurse. Helmets save lives! I live in Portland, and I've seen a few old school idiots and hipsters wearing nothing. That's why they end up in the hospital brain dead or they will never walk, feed themselves, or wipe their own butt again.

Sometimes my friends give me a hard time for wearing a helmet on rides to campus and stuff, but I've seen some pretty bad crashes, and I'm not going to take any risks beyond riding on the road with idiots that can't drive and ignore the bike lane.

I'm all in favor of more organ donations, so all you organ donors out there riding without helmets, ride more! You can give the gift of life to someone else!

I was riding very fast downhill once, the first time i went on a bike in a long time, came to a junction and put my arm out to indicate, but lost balance and flew off the bike into the luckily empty junction. Still got a scar on my hip, from 2 or so years ago. Luckily i didn't hit my head, but i wasn't wearing a helmet, however i have done ever since. I haven't fallen off since that incident, had one very close call, but i always wear my helmet now.

tandem3bike said:
..,real bikers know how important wearing a helmet is... It saves my life once...
you would think its part of the uniform by now as there is such a variety of helmit out there and the exsposure the helmit gets in pro cycling etc .must have increased wearing of them .i think there a priority ,if you hit anything on the road an animil for instance ur over the bars heading for a face plant .......

alienator said:

If their dumb enough not to wear a helmet, they probably didn't fill out an organ donor card or just state so on their license.

bigtruckguy3500 said:
Yeah, I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if you didn't see it I'll say it again. In my state, Texas, we go back and forth on helmet laws being strong and weak. Apparently it's a free country and the government shouldn't stop you from being wreckless with your life if you want to be wreckless. (even though it drives up costs for everyone else).

But yeah, so they actually correlated a reduction in organ donations during years when helmet laws were stronger and vice versa.

Dallas enforces helmet laws now. First one you get if you bring the in a helmet its dismissed and everyone after that starts at 25 then goes to 50 then 75 and so on and so forth.

Im picking up my new helmet tomorrow, so many sales :)

I'm a collegiate cyclist in the Atlantic Collegiate Cycling Conference (ACCC). Most of the universities in the conference have a zero tolerance policy on helmets. Meaning: if you want to ride with the team/put on a school uniform/continue to be on the team, you wear your damn helmet. I like the policy. It's saved a couple of my friends from serious injury.

Don't test fate. If you haven't wrecked before, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.

brandonc204 said:
I'm a collegiate cyclist in the Atlantic Collegiate Cycling Conference (ACCC). Most of the universities in the conference have a zero tolerance policy on helmets. Meaning: if you want to ride with the team/put on a school uniform/continue to be on the team, you wear your damn helmet. I like the policy. It's saved a couple of my friends from serious injury.

Don't test fate. If you haven't wrecked before, you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.
Most wrecks that I have seen were caused by stupidity or negligence on someone's part (but not always the cyclist's), not because a rider was not pushing hard enough. But you are right, helmets save lives and a lot of unsightly road rash. All bicycling organizations should adopt a helmet rule like the ACCC.

I had a bad accident when I was a kid riding a 'track' bike I had knocke together in the garage (think I was twelve) was going quite fast (the bike had no brakes and was single geared mega high) and I went into another lad who was coming across me. Did the flying through the air thing then the landing face first in the middle of the road thing then the standing up, spitting out my fragmented teeth thing then the shhhhhhh wierd sort of sound and not knowing who or what I am thing then fell unconcious on the road.
Thankfull a chap picked me up and took me to hospital. Apparantly the act of standing up and spitting out the shards of my teeth was exactly what I had to do to avoid inhaling them and them cutting the inside of my lungs to bits!
After that my mum insisted i ride with a helmet but I hate wearing a helmet (always have done) feels like almost all the fun of riding a bike has been taken away, you cant feel the wind in your hair, the extra weight on your head and the heat not to mention the feeling of always being concious of the fact I'm wearing a helmet.
I don't wear a helmet, I had another off last year in which I broke my arm going v.fast (spinning top gear) with a fifty/sixty mile an hour wind up my bum, tried to jump up a curb but it was the entrance to a small building site and so had like slippy clay gak on the ground. The result was a really fast slam on my left side and little knock to the bonce, finished the ride to work did a days work rode to hospital got X-rayed to see I had taken a triangular piece of the end of one of my bones in the arm and it was sitting in my elbow joint. Still there today but I haven't been able to straighten my left arm full since, going to have it operated on in a few months.
Cycling can be dangerous even fatal I guess but so can alot of things. Without wishing to appear stupid or reckless I think it is about attitude, you can ride sensibly (prefferably on a bike with brakes) and accept that accidents do happen and you might get hurt or you can wear a helmet and be more protected from head injuries.
I don't think anything of others wearing helmets but would find my enjoyment of riding seriously reduced if someone 'forced' me to wear one. I don't agree with overly protective legislation on the whole. Ride safe.:cool:

I always wear a helmet when I go on road rides and on the trail on my mountain bike. The only time I don't wear a helmet is when I ride in front of the house with my kids. I live on a cul de sac, so I don't have to worry too much about getting run over by cars.

Flyeater said:
After that my mum insisted i ride with a helmet but I hate wearing a helmet (always have done) feels like almost all the fun of riding a bike has been taken away, you cant feel the wind in your hair, the extra weight on your head and the heat not to mention the feeling of always being concious of the fact I'm wearing a helmet.
I used to not wear a helmet for the same reasons that you have listed. Now I wear a helmet every time I ride and I have found that those reasons are not valid. My helmets have not been very high end models, but I get the feeling of more wind in my hair from the design of the vents. It weighs next to nothing so there is not any real feeling of weight on my head. It is not hot, again due to the design of the vents. And as for feeling concious of having a helmet on your head, I now feel concious if I get ready to ride without one and won't ride until I get one on. I have been fortunate that I never had a crash where I needed one, but one did save my from getting my bell rung on a low hanging tree branch.

Pretty straightforward...looking for sample of those who are out for a training ride...feel free to throw down the 'whys'.

teamgomez said:
Pretty straightforward...looking for sample of those who are out for a training ride...feel free to throw down the 'whys'.
Merged your thread into this one. Please use the search function in the future, this has been asked and answered numerous times.

One thing I would like to say (echoing BigE) is those of you who have posted saying people who ride without helmets are stupid (especially the trauma nurse) well you come across as rather simple minded.
From the way you write it's as if you wish bad luck on riders who don't wear helmets, just to make yourselves feel clever for wearing one.
If you think riding a bike is dangerous enough to warrant wearing a helmet I can just as easily say that your life is devoid of danger to the point that it must be pretty boring.
I have a covert bullet proof vest and handcuffs but don't always wear it or carry them because my work doesn't always require it (in my judgement ). If you think an ADULT is not capable of assesing his or her own safety then wha's the point in being a child and learning from your mistakes? Sorry to be so down just reading some replies makes me think this. No hard feelings.:D

Onya Flyeater! Here the law mandates wearing a helmet in order to cover up the complete lack of cycling infrastructure. There is only one genuine cycleway...the others are simply painted lines on the road cheapan'easy.

Mostly cyclists must mix with the cars and trucks and the helmet will save you cos it's ritten in lore.

If I don't wear a helmet then it's a fine. I will wear a helmet for my own reasons, but not for justifyin the cheapskate lawmakers.:mad: