Poll- Do you wear a helmet?

I hate them.. but not much as I do being dead.
Yes.. I absolutely use them.

Velociclo

The only time I don't wear a helmet is going up a hard climb in very hot weather that takes more than 30 minutes to get up. I even wear my helmet when I go out for a ride with the little 'un, mainly to get her used to riding with one ...

Here's a different way to ask the question, in two parts: 1) If I knew I was going to fall or crash on my road ride today, what protection would I wear? Answer: I'd put on downhill gear: full face helmet, good long underlayer, body armor plus hip,elbow and knee pads and tough full-finger gloves if I knew I was going to go down on the road. It would be hot, and look dumb to my buddies, but definately worth it if I knew a hard fall and slide was in store.

2) How do I know I won't crash today? Answer: It could happen, but not likely as it's not happened to me in several decades. So instead of wearing all that hot heavy stuff my downhill buddies wear, I'll just go with a road helmet and gloves. By going "minimalist" (200g helmet w/31 air vents) on the protective gear, I'm accepting more risk in the event of a fall, but my "reward" is that I don't suffocate under the weight of all that gear. I figure I can heal from road rash, a split chin, broken ribs, and even a broken hip, but maybe not from a brain injury.

Hi guys/girls,

I live in Australia, and here, it's mandatory to wear a cycling helmet at all times (on the road or otherwise).

My brother-in-law runs a cycling shop and I'm helping him develop a website... I noticed, while hunting around for stock photography, that there are plenty of nice, warm and fuzzy photos of families having their daily outings on their bikes.... without helmets.

Are helmets not a legal requirement in the USA? If not, does anyone else find that a bit crazy? I mean a helmet may mess up your hair and not look great but I'd take that over several stitches and a fractured skull any day of the week.

Is it a state-to-state thing, i.e. do some states mandate wearing a bike helmet and others not?

Check out this link to all of your answers :
Bicycle Helmet Laws

In MA they are not mandatory (17+ yrs), but they should be and hopefully will be for everyone.

I can't imagine a family, with young kids, without helmets. Not cool nor smart.

Here's an interesting fact :
Bicycle deaths by helmet use, 1994-2005

No helmet Helmet Total*
Year Num % Num % Num
1994 776 97 19 2 796
1995 783 95 34 4 828
1996 731 96 27 4 761
1997 785 97 23 3 811
1998 741 98 16 2 757
1999 698 93 42 6 750
2000 622 90 50 7 689
2001 616 84 60 8 729
2002 589 89 54 8 663
2003 527 85 57 9 619
2004 602 83 87 12 722
2005 673 86 76 10 782

-Greg

rtch said:
Is it a state-to-state thing, i.e. do some states mandate wearing a bike helmet and others not?

Adults apparently don't have to wear one wear I live. I once crashed without a helmet, and my dad once crashed with a helmet. He just got up and complained about the damage to his bike, while I nearly died, so I now always wear a helmet. I think Gary Busey the actor had a similar experience. You don't need a helmet until you need a helmet, and then you better have one on.

Helmet laws in the US have only come into effect relatively recently, and many other countries don't have them at all, so that might be where those pictures are coming from.

Yeah, everything looks warmer and fuzzier without helmets on until there's a tragic accident. After that it just looks like maybe some extra protection would have been a good call.

This may seem illogical to many of you. I wear a helmet every time I ride, even on a short ride to the corner store. I value my life. I also value peoples freedom of choice, even if that means that they are risking life and limb, therefore, I don't support helmet laws for everyone. I do support the helmet laws for young people who I feel are more wreckless rather than making an informed decision when they decide not to wear a helmet. But for adults, 18+, I don't beleive that the government should be able to mandate that a rider must wear a helmet, among a great many other things too numerous and off topic to discuss here.

We do have many cycling clubs in this area and nearly everyone of them require a helmet for anyone participating in a group ride which is acceptable to me. Nearly every competition requires a helmet which is accptable. If you want to participate in an event, you should have to follow the rules or don't participate. But I just have a strong aversion to the government telling me that I have to have a helmet and wear it.

I wear a helmet 100% of the time. I work in a Hospital Emergency Room! Need I say more? I've seen bike/moped accident victims that wasn't wearing helmets. Just don't want to experience all that pain and or the pain and grief of the family they leave behind!!!

kdelong said:
This may seem illogical to many of you. I wear a helmet every time I ride, even on a short ride to the corner store. I value my life. I also value peoples freedom of choice, even if that means that they are risking life and limb, therefore, I don't support helmet laws for everyone. I do support the helmet laws for young people who I feel are more wreckless rather than making an informed decision when they decide not to wear a helmet. But for adults, 18+, I don't beleive that the government should be able to mandate that a rider must wear a helmet, among a great many other things too numerous and off topic to discuss here.

We do have many cycling clubs in this area and nearly everyone of them require a helmet for anyone participating in a group ride which is acceptable to me. Nearly every competition requires a helmet which is accptable. If you want to participate in an event, you should have to follow the rules or don't participate. But I just have a strong aversion to the government telling me that I have to have a helmet and wear it.

I feel the same way about it. I always wear a helmet when I cycle, whether you do or not is none of my business.

In Minnesota helmets are not required when riding motorcycles and most of the riders I see don't wear them. I think that's absolutely nuts, but I support their freedom of choice.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can feel comfortable on a bike without a helmet. In Boston there is a lot of debate going on about some changes in the law about bicyclers and helmets. The law might change to say that people on a bike without a helmet will receive a fine just the same as if a person in a car doesn't wear a seat belt. there are many different opinions on this topic going around. Im not sure if it is true but I have heard that law is already in effect in New York. In Boston however different people are having different opinions on it. The majority of commuter bicyclers do not wear helmets. Some of them feel it is unfair because it will be easier for a cop to spot someone not wearing a helmet than it is to spot someone in a car not wearing a seatbelt. Some feel that it is unfair because they think they rid their bike witout a helmet because they can't afford a helmet. Personally I think that is BS because the way I see it, if you can afford a bike, affording a helmet should be no problem. Some people find it to be unfair because they feel that a helmet id uncomfortable. I feel that is BS also because if only takes about 15 minutes of time to adjust the padding ad straps of a helmet to make it comfortable and if you are unwilling to put that effort in, you are unworthy of riding a bike.

I NEVER wear a helmet...

p.s. ...when cycling on the trainer. If the bike's not bolted to the trainer, the helmet is on 100% of the time.

tonyzackery said:
I NEVER wear a helmet...

p.s. ...when cycling on the trainer. If the bike's not bolted to the trainer, the helmet is on 100% of the time.
After the last time, if I ever ride rollers again, I will wear a helmet.......

and body armor, along with ensuring that my life insurance policy is up to date.

kdelong said:
After the last time, if I ever ride rollers again, I will wear a helmet.......

and body armor, along with ensuring that my life insurance policy is up to date.

LOL! True enough. I came off some rollers once. Nothing life-threatening, but it sure gave me new respect for the term, "you're outta control, dude!" LOL!